Atypical Spyderco designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skeeg11

Atypical Spyderco designs

Post by skeeg11 »

As forward thinking and innovative a company as Spyderco is, it cannot be all things in the knife world. Known predominately for its Spydie Hole, tall leaf designs, thumb ramp humps, and 50/50 choils but I wish that periodically they would step outside their normal design parameters. I suppose the inspiration for this wish is the broad selection of properly heat treated steels in its inventory. There are so many old classic designs that would benefit immensely from modern steel technology offered by Spyderco.

What are some atypical Spyderco designs you would like to see them tackle?

For me, it would be a slender Fruit knife/Sampler/Melon knife with a 4.5 inch cutting edge plus a prominent choil for safety and a clip for shirt pocket carry. Corrosion resistant steel like LC200N would be a plus as steels like 1095 would brown a sliced apple almost instantly. Growing up poor with little recreational disposable income, pickin's were pretty slim. Cheap fruit/melon/sampler knives were one of my only options. Sometimes they were given away free at feed stores and the like. They player a large part in my outdoor activities from cleaning fish to shroomin' to reaming out the pubic arch of big game. So many uses from slicing birthday cakes to BBQ sampling.

Probably doesn't make much economic sense for Spyderco to do so, but I would just like to have a sterling example of this design clipped in my shirt pocket. Perhaps something like a lengthy Roadie. Heck, even an 8Cr13MoV model in the budget line would be appreciated. No doubt wishful thinking on my part, but I would pay serious money for an upscale model.

Again, what are some atypical Sphyderco designs you would like to see Spyderco offer?
wrdwrght

Re: Atypical Spyderco designs

Post by wrdwrght »

Much that Spyderco has produced is not typical even of itself.

If you haven’t yet snooped the Spydiewiki, you may find there a lot of originality that can be found in the secondary market.

http://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=Main_Page

But perhaps I’ve missed your intent.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think Skeeg11 meant atypical for Spyderco, which to my understanding would mean some designs that might be typical for another maker i.e. melon sampler he mentions.

If my interpretation is correct, I’d like to see a Spyderco take on many different traditional designs. To a large extent they have done that for some ethnic designs, but not so much for what in the US some call “traditionals”.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Yes, I meant designs that are not or have not been Spyderco's wheelhouse.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Hmm. I wouldn't mind seeing a thin and tall 8" cai dao in MBS-26 or BD1N with a cylindrical FRN handle. It would really round out their kitchen knife lineup imo. But I think it's probably a bit too niche for now.

From an aesthetic perspective, I like clip points, and Spyderco doesn't do that kind of tip very often. I see why they don't though, so I wouldn't want or expect them to change.

I would like to see more humpless models and choil-less models.

Maybe some more knife models for small hands? Spydie ergo's are great and relatively universal, but they do seem to favor big hands. The Astute is very nice for being unapologetically made for small hands.

Semi-related, but have you seen their Bow River knife? It' won't fold like a fruit sampling knife, but it is relatively thin, and most importantly, it is affordable. It's a great budget knife for outdoor activities. I'm probably gonna gift a few to my nieces and nephews if/when they're mature enough for a knife.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Any Phil Wilson knife is a great design and the Bow River is no exception. 8Cr13MoV does a great job in SE, but I prefer a little more edge retention for PE. When Spyderco gets around to upgrading the steel in their budget/value line, A Bow River will likely find its way into my inventory.

One of the things I find very useful about fruit/melon/sampler knives is that the blade height is around 3/8 inch unlike the tall Spyderco leaf designs. Makes it easy to poke into tight quarters. Light, slender 5 3/4" profile makes it easy to clip in a shirt pocket much like a ballpoint pen. By no means a heavy duty knife, but rather a light duty slicer. Being poor as a youth forced me to appreciate just how handy such a knife can be. Perhaps I'm waxing nostalgic a bit, but such a knife played a large part in harvesting much bounty the outdoors had to offer. Such a knife in upgraded materials would be greatly appreciated. While such a knife may be outside Spyderco's wheelhouse, I just trust them to do things right if they ever decided to do so.
Danke

Post by Danke »

It is time for Spyderco to partner with Buck and re-imagine the Buckmaster.