My Perfect Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

My Perfect Shaman

Post by kennethsime »

I think I’m finally coming around to the “no choil” camp.

My first experience with Spyderco was the Stretch, and the next was the Dragonfly. My most-carried knife over the past 10+ years has probably been the Paramilitary 2. All of these designs make excellent use of Spyderco’s iconic 50/50 choil, which offers unprecedented control of the knife’s tip - especially when combined with a thumb ramp.

If you follow any of my Off-Topic threads, you’ll know that I’ve gotten into a few non-Spyderco brands over the past year or two, chiefly Bushcraft-oriented fixed blades with Convex grinds and hotspot-free handles. These knives differ quite a bit from your typical EDC folder, namely in that they champion comfort over traction.

My favorite new Spyderco design in the past few years has been the Shaman. I love the contoured handle scales - best exemplified in Micarta, if you ask me. I love the neutral handle, shape, which utilizes a generous palm swell, and has a very minimal “pinky catch” at the butt. In my XL hands, these details really go a long way. I love that the blade doesn’t have a thumb ramp. While I do enjoy thumb ramps, I find the flat spine of the Shaman allows me to choke up in a saber grip easier, giving me a lot of power near the heel of the blade.

As I sit here playing with my M4 Shaman, I can’t help but notice that the 50/50 choil, which I value so highly on so many of my Spyderco folders, becomes a hot spot in this choked up saber grip.

If I was a rich man, and Spyderco’s Golden facility had enough capacity to accept custom orders, I’d commission a Shaman with a few key changes:
  • Sacrifice the 50/50 choil for a bit more handle and a bit more blade
  • Thin out the grind a bit, more like the PM2
  • Convex it
  • Offer it in K390, with Green Canvas Micarta scales
This would make the Shaman my ideal woods folder. It’s not like I want to baton with it, but I sure would like to carve feather sticks with no hot spot. Until then, I'll be hear playing with what I think it one of the most comfortable mid-size folders around.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Re: My Perfect Shaman

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 11:39 pm

As I sit here playing with my M4 Shaman, I can’t help but notice that the 50/50 choil, which I value so highly on so many of my Spyderco folders, becomes a hot spot in this choked up saber grip.

If I was a rich man, and Spyderco’s Golden facility had enough capacity to accept custom orders, I’d commission a Shaman with a few key changes:
  • Sacrifice the 50/50 choil for a bit more handle and a bit more blade

I know that you know that Sal is actually working on a no-choil Shaman, but just for those who might not: See this thread viewtopic.php?t=92280#p1618559 (actually though Sal says there that the choil less version (quote) is "still a ways off")

I could only handle a Shaman once, and actually liked the choked up grip over the grip behind the choil (both felt great though!) - but then just holding a knife says not much about its ergos in real use, so I cannot weigh in on those at all.

I figure though, that for me the comp.lock cutout would be the most "hotspot risky" aspect of the knife, in real, harder outdoor use - just an assumption of course, since as said I never actually worked with a Shaman.

Since I like a bit more cutting edge, I guess "my" perfect Shaman would probably also be choil-less, have a linerlock and thinner blade, but of course keep the width and overall shape of the blade, as well as the wide, contoured handle.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I have an M4 Shaman with custom Micarta scales, 4V DLC with Red G-10, and S90V with Carbon fiber scales.... but my favorite is the base model Shaman.

The stonewash hardware and blade, and the smooth contured black G-10 are really cool. It's got a great look, and that thick slab of S30V is a great work horse. I was really taken with this knife when I first got it and after carrying it again this week, I still am. There's just something about it that feels right.

I'll reserve judgment on a choil-less model until I handle it.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I have three Shamans and love ‘em, but a choil-free Shaman certainly has my ears up. The extra edge is compelling to me.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 12:18 am
I know that you know that Sal is actually working on a no-choil Shaman, but just for those who might not: See this thread viewtopic.php?t=92280#p1618559 (actually though Sal says there that the choil less version (quote) is "still a ways off")

I could only handle a Shaman once, and actually liked the choked up grip over the grip behind the choil (both felt great though!) - but then just holding a knife says not much about its ergos in real use, so I cannot weigh in on those at all.

I figure though, that for me the comp.lock cutout would be the most "hotspot risky" aspect of the knife, in real, harder outdoor use - just an assumption of course, since as said I never actually worked with a Shaman.

Since I like a bit more cutting edge, I guess "my" perfect Shaman would probably also be choil-less, have a linerlock and thinner blade, but of course keep the width and overall shape of the blade, as well as the wide, contoured handle.
I do Gernot! I simply wished to add a bit of stoke to the :smlling-eyes

I don't find the comp lock cutout to be a hot spot, even when choked up in firm grip - the pocket clip is much more of a hot spot.

I definitely prefer the choked-up grip - a hammer grip without using the choil is simply too far from the edge to be of any use being hacking & slashing. A hammer grip using the choil isn't quite as bad as a saber grip using the choil, but would still be more comfortable without one - kind of like the Wayne Goddard, or better yet the Rock Jumper.

Man, I'd sure like to try a Wayne Goddard.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

The shaman has been on my radar for over a year now and I finally snagged one, the bhq m4 micarta. It is my favorite spyderco at the moment and I want another. I like the stone wash on the s30v and I like the dlc serrated. Not sure which one to get next......what say you?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Cowboyfromhell wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:56 pm
The shaman has been on my radar for over a year now and I finally snagged one, the bhq m4 micarta. It is my favorite spyderco at the moment and I want another. I like the stone wash on the s30v and I like the dlc serrated. Not sure which one to get next......what say you?
All I know is that if I didn't have Micarta on this knife, I would factor in another $70 for a set of RGT Micarta scales for it.

Protolith

Post by Protolith »

I kind of feel the same way. I used to be a big fan of them, but now I'm starting to prefer designs with "alternative" choils or no choil, at least for knives under 6" or so.

I really like the choil on the Kapara, with it positioned mostly back under the pivot rather than forward of the handle. I think that's an ideal place for a choil on a smaller knife. I'm also starting to lean towards designs that don't use a choil but instead have minimal bolsters, like the Bradford Guardian 4.5 or 5.5, that still allows you to get up pretty close to right behind the blade without taking up blade space.

A no-choil Shaman would be really high up on my wishlist. Can't wait to see what Sal comes up with for that.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Precisely. I picked up a competitors knife today which doesn’t feature a choil, and while this particular knife prioritizes weight over ergonomics, a hard hammer or saber grip is more comfortable because of the lack of hot spots.

It really just depends what you’re doing with the knife, I guess.