Bring back the J.D. Smith?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Poll ended at Tue Jun 14, 2022 12:58 pm

No / not interested
21%
Yes, regular production again
12%
Yes, sprint run
68%

Total votes: 34

BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well.

2AFE4C28-0359-42BB-BED4-021C88E7949E.jpeg
(Picture from the Spyderco website)

Every time I see this knife I want to get one. I’m wondering if you all feel the same way. If you do maybe Spyderco would consider bringing this model back.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Re: Bring back the J.D. Smith?

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I would personally prefer seeing the J.D. Smith brought back in a stainless steel.

A Spy27 with micarta would be sweet!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

All for it , missed getting one last year twice ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Super elegant
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Beautiful!

What BLUETYPE said: Micarta and SPY-27. I'd even go for S30V or VG-10 in any color G-10 other than black.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

When was the last sprint? Might be time for a new one.

Speaking of golden-era Spydies, I’d really like a new Wayne Goddard.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

When I first saw the J D Smith almost 20 years ago, my first thought was "it's a great looking knife", my second was "it's Spyderco's answer to the Buck 110". Doubt Spyderco would put it back in regular produciton, but I'd love to see another Sprint in any decently stainless steel if they did it in unlined Micarta like the original rather than adding an extra ounce of weight from liners like the 2009 Sprint.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 2:42 pm
When was the last sprint? Might be time for a new one.

Speaking of golden-era Spydies, I’d really like a new Wayne Goddard.
Not to jump thread but another Goddard is always welcome to me . MG2
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I scored one of the original SE micarta versions, more so for the history and because I've got a thing for old micarta. I really like it for those reasons, but it has one really major detail that would probably kill any modern purchase for me, and it's that enormous ricasso.

If it were possible to take the edge all the way back to the handle, this design would be incredible but it would probably take a different lock to make that work. It may as well be made into a proper choil, I'm pretty sure that ricasso is actually bigger than the choil on the Military.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:06 pm
I scored one of the original SE micarta versions, more so for the history and because I've got a thing for old micarta. I really like it for those reasons, but it has one really major detail that would probably kill any modern purchase for me, and it's that enormous ricasso.

If it were possible to take the edge all the way back to the handle, this design would be incredible but it would probably take a different lock to make that work. It may as well be made into a proper choil, I'm pretty sure that ricasso is actually bigger than the choil on the Military.
Yes and you are not alone there have been comments about the ricasso in the past . I also agree it would be nice to modify for more blade length . The Micarta really outshines the G10 .
Henry David Thoreau
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Evil D wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 3:06 pm

I was noticing this as well but, If it’s to increase safety for 1 hand closing. Maybe a choil would be in order.
However being that it’s a collaboration I doubt Spyderco would want to revamp the design. Especially if molds/forms ect. still exist.

(Yeah I’d like a Wayne Goddard sprint too. I’ve never owned a Wayne Goddard. They look very similar to the Siren though so they can’t be bad.)
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

To be fair, the ricasso basically IS a choil, it's just not shaped as one. I haven't really used this knife hard so I can't say how comfortable it is after lots of use but I think most people who like choils would feel fine with it, the placement feels quite nice to me. I don't expect to see an updated version of an older collaboration like this, it's just a thought.

This thread needs pics.

This lock area is interesting. As svelte and refined as this knife is, I really don't get this spot at all. Seems like the handle could have been blended here to make it flush or something, I dunno. You couldn't bring the blade up to meet the top of the handle or else the blade/tang would stick out from the end of the handle when closed. The people today obsessed about lock bars not being absolutely flush would probably have a conniption over this one.

And you only get one liner and I bet that was mostly just to mount the clip.

What's weird about this knife is it's both strangely large and small at the same time. It's about 3/16 shorter in the blade and handle than an Endura but pictures always make it look huge to me.

If you're going to have finger grooves on a handle, this is how it's done. One single prominent index finger choil and then the rest is smooth and lacks any points or hooks that wouldn't fit every hand size. The way the back end flares out reminds me of a Strider a little, and the front kinda reminds me of a Sebenza in a way.

This knife and the Ayoob really have me missing hollow saber grinds with acute points because the blade grind helps to keep the tip from being too fragile.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

doesn't do anything for me, but i don't like to poo on others' wishes so i wouldn't vote against it. more for you all. :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

The JD Smith sprint was another of the "lost generation" of Foliage Green knives that were immensely disliked and did not appear to be robust sellers. It definitely deserves another look. I liked both prior versions of the JD Smith. The original Micarta was a nice dress knife option while the G10 was a much more robust feeling knife that was a laser with the FFG. Unlined canvas Micarta with PE/SE option in SPY27 or Magnacut would be trendy and cool.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The J.D. Smith’s resemblance to a Buck 110 escapes me, but no matter. It appeals to me each time I see its image. I think its grace is right up there with the Calypso.

While I’m still hoping to find an original, I’d be in on a sprint, whether stain-resistant or not, in unlined micarta.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Tue May 17, 2022 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

To bring back the JD Smith with a blade made with one of the supersteels and maybe an original Micarta handle would be high on my "gotta have" list. And like the upcoming C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run I would also wish to see this model in PE & SE as well.

In many ways the original, first run JD Smith model reflected many of the attributes of the legendary BUCK 110 model and I can see why a lot of Spyderco fans would equate the two models for a variety of reasons.

I would go a Cruwear blade like the C-60 Ayoob Sprint Run or would be very content with an M390 or XHP blade. Because any future JD Smith I would purchase would be in my "user arsenal".
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I don’t care how this comes back, just bring it back!! I’ve said before, this is one of the sexiest knives I think Spyderco has ever made.

Burgundy micarta and Magnacut will always be my top choice!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I'm carrying mine today.

I agree with all the positive sentiments. It's a good design, good size, and very elegant! The large ricasso serves as a generous and perfectly functional choil.

Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Thanks everyone for the great pictures!
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
Skar

Post by Skar »

I really dig the look of this knife.
Steel type isn't a big selling point for myself.
If it's s30v magnacut etc .. I like them all.
Though a salt is nice that there's no problem for any activity.

One thing that would stop me is current pricing.
Just depends on the tag.