Lil Native Light Weight?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bjz

Re: Lil Native Light Weight?

Post by bjz »

Looking at the photos again, I noticed that there is a solid area in the frn pattern where the lock pivot is, BUT no apparent pin or screw on either side. I sure hope there is an internal steel pin in there!
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

bjz wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:55 am
Looking at the photos again, I noticed that there is a solid area in the frn pattern where the lock pivot is, BUT no apparent pin or screw on either side. I sure hope there is an internal steel pin in there!
Isn't the backlock the stop?
bjz

Post by bjz »

soulspy wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 12:10 pm
bjz wrote:
Isn't the backlock the stop?
I don’t know if the natives have an internal stop pin like that chaparral, but what I’m referring to is the pivot that the lockbar pivots on! Usually it’s either an external screw or pin. There doesn’t appear to be an external pin/screw on the lil lw! I’m hoping that it’s an internal steel pivot pin and not some crazy piece of frn 😳
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i can't imagine spyderco would trust frn alone to handle that job. i assume it's an internal pin. maybe that's the answer to not having a rivet that keeps us from being able to disassemble the knife or a screw that costs more money unnecessarily?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bjz wrote:
Where did you see both sides? I'd like to check that out I've only seen photos of one side.

That blank spot looks just like the receiving side with a metal insert on the Native 5 LW, where they use screws just from one side.

My speculation, based on the photos I've seen, is that they went from a stepped pin lockbar pivot to a one sided screw with a threaded insert on the receiving side.

Edited to add, i'm curious how they've done it if there is no exposed hardware at the lockbar pivot. Maybe non threaded inserts for a pin?
bjz

Post by bjz »

Enactive wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:06 pm
bjz wrote:
Where did you see both sides? I'd like to check that out I've only seen photos of one side.

That blank spot looks just like the receiving side with a metal insert on the Native 5 LW, where they use screws just from one side.

My speculation, based on the photos I've seen, is that they went from a stepped pin lockbar pivot to a one sided screw with a threaded insert on the receiving side.

Edited to add, i'm curious how they've done it if there is no exposed hardware at the lockbar pivot. Maybe non threaded inserts for a pin?
If you check out the knife center Instagram video from the shot show thread, they turn the knife over showing the other side.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

bjz wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:31 pm
Enactive wrote:
Wed May 18, 2022 8:06 pm
bjz wrote:

If you check out the knife center Instagram video from the shot show thread, they turn the knife over showing the other side.
Oh, cool. Thanks.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Any news on this one ? Can’t wait for some sprints allready ! Some specs maybe ?
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

bjz wrote:
The N5 LW uses a stepped pin, they probably shortened it so it wouldn't protrude through the scales. If there is a thickness difference in the scales they might be trying to make the area stronger.

N5 LW lockbar pin
Attachments
Screenshot_20230123-201052_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20230123-201052_Chrome.jpg (13.38 KiB) Viewed 1278 times
Cricket Bite

Post by Cricket Bite »

Definitely waiting on this for sure. Of course it wold be nice to have something different than s30v. Like maybe Magnacut or Spy27. Of course I will still be buying one if s30v.
vandelay

Post by vandelay »

^ it's BD1N according to this: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=93988
plew2000

Post by plew2000 »

Bumping this topic to contribute this video I found while researching the Lil Native LW.

Is there any word on when we might see this knife released? I wanted to get myself a Spyderco as a graduation gift and have been following this design for awhile.
cjk

Post by cjk »

That looks like it could easily become a Salt.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

And would sell twice as fast with a Wharnie blade ;)
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Have we seen this one out in the wild yet?
cjk

Post by cjk »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:41 pm
Have we seen this one out in the wild yet?
I don't think so. Pretty sure it's TBD.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Just bumped into this one yesterday,woke me from sleep after almost 9 months of not getting anything and firmly deciding to stop buying knives.

https://spydercollector.wordpress.com/2 ... mple-2023/

They fixed everything they were missing with G10 version (wire clip, double jimping)

How is this not getting more attention?

Sal, please do this one in Magnacut soon, design shows promising future.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm definitely buying one Chief LW and one Lil'Native LW in SPY27.
The Lil'Native LW looks more like a Native than its G10 counterpart :open-grin
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
SaltyCaribbeanDfly

Post by SaltyCaribbeanDfly »

Oh I’m definitely getting one and hopefully another when it becomes a salt, and as much as I hate to admit it the Lil’ Native LW is probably gonna compete with my Dfly for the starting lineup…thin blade stock,back lock,wire clip,FRN,better ergos,magnacut 🤔
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Let's just hope this starts with the next reveal, not in a year or so.