Reducing blade length

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: Reducing blade length

Post by z1r »

zhyla wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:18 am
Stones will take forever. Filing hardened steel isn’t particularly fast either.

I would do this with a belt grinder or bench grinder and dip it in ice water frequently to preserve the temper. Actually I have no idea if LC200N even has a temper but just to be on the safe side. Also tape everything off to keep dust out of the handle and go slow.
Seems you missed this part:
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 9:11 pm
I will have to do it by hand because I don’t have a grinder
cjk

Post by cjk »

@Soanso Mcmasters
Do you absolutely need one of the LC200N salt models?

Spyderco makes an Endela, which like a just under 3.5" Endura. You wouldn't have to shorten it.
They also make a Stretch 2 which is under 3.5" and the new linerless Stretch 2 XL which is just under 4".
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I really want one in LC200N. My son talked me out of my Wharncliffe Salt and I have no idea when my preorder Native with Magnacut will arrive. I want something I can abuse and sweat on for gardening, yard work, fishing, etc. and after carrying the Stretch I am appreciating the extra blade length.

Btw, I have a stretch 2 in k390 and love it! It’s my most carried knife for the last month.
Soanso McMasters

I may get one and do it by hand and post up some pics here just for anyone else thinking of doing the same. Still kicking it around.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For 1/16 of an inch, stones will do fine. A very coarse stone to start with. LC200N works fairly easily (says the guy that reprofiles Maxamet for fun) so a little reshape should not be too bad. Just don't get crazy ambitious and try to reshape the whole blade! I would not hesitate to take on that job. Of my stones, the Atoma 140 would get used for the rough work. You may want to try some low grit sandpaper if your coarsest stone is not very coarse.

Just be careful with a knife with an upturned edge (might be good to tape over the edge for a little protection). And try your best to keep the knife at 90 degrees to the stone.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Soanso McMasters

As a bit of an experiment I am working on grinding the spine on my 20CV Wharncliffe Delica with stones and sandpaper. I’ve definitely made progress over about an hour but it’s a task. If it comes out alright I’ll probably pull the trigger on the Pacific Salt 2.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 5:09 pm
As a bit of an experiment I am working on
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
As a bit of an experiment I am working on grinding the spine on my 20CV Wharncliffe Delica with stones and sandpaper. I’ve definitely made progress over about an hour but it’s a task. If it comes out alright I’ll probably pull the trigger on the Pacific Salt 2.
you can rent a sander where I live for $5-10 and get the job done in five minutes. maybe try that?
:unicorn
Soanso McMasters

Dang this is quite the project! Two hours in… definitely getting the spine straightened but it’s quite the effort.
1C467233-11FC-47EF-A1E4-749F6498F0E1.jpeg
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:52 pm
Dang this is quite the project! Two hours in… definitely getting the spine straightened but it’s quite the effort.
Keep in mind 20cv is like three times the wear resistance of LC200n.
Soanso McMasters

vivi wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 9:03 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
you can rent a sander where I live for $5-10 and get the job done in five minutes. maybe try that?
I have a Dremel and considered using that, per Evil D’s recommendation, but I don’t want to jack up the heat treat on it or remove too much material. I’ll just keep at it and see where I end up. I think it should look good once done, but I won’t be trying to remove this much material on 20CV by hand again!
Soanso McMasters

Bloke wrote:
Sun May 15, 2022 8:42 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
As a bit of an experiment I am working on
Have you re-worked any of those yet? Looks like a big job!
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:10 pm
Ah, hahaha! No mate, that’s just a pic I found and thought it quite funny that anyone could snap so many tips.

I’m either lucky or careful and don’t think I’ve ever snapped a tip though I’ve dropped a couple of knives and damaged tips.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Soanso McMasters

Bloke wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 7:11 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 5:10 pm
Ah, hahaha! No mate, that’s just a pic I found and thought it quite funny that anyone could snap so many tips.

I’m either lucky or careful and don’t think I’ve ever snapped a tip though I’ve dropped a couple of knives and damaged tips.
Well, I hope whoever it was got the can of paint open…