M4 Native Chief/M4 Shaman Comparisons and Contrasts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Teddy0215

M4 Native Chief/M4 Shaman Comparisons and Contrasts

Post by Teddy0215 »

Im starting this thread as an easy way to track my own findings/uses, and to maybe benefit others on the fence about which “big” Native brother to purchase.

I’ve always liked slicey knives for my folders and left the “hard” use up to my fixed blades. My first of many Spydercos and the start of my addiction was a brown Delica in VG-10. I can’t tell you how many years I carried that knife, but I used it in a medical emergency that was life altering for my wife and I and I decided to retire it to the Pelican case so as not to risk losing it.

Fast forward to now, many Spydercos later, I pretty much know what I like and dislike in knives now. I’ve wanted a Native Chief in Satin M4 for a while now, as well as a Shaman in a tool steel and micarta. It just so happened that I found a NIB Chief for original price at the same time the BHQ Shaman was released, so here we are.

I’m going to carry the Chief for 30 days and then the Shaman for 30 days. I work as a project manager/heavy equipment operator/a little bit of everything for our family general contracting business. I use my stuff pretty heavily at work and tend to use my folder for food prep and everything around the house as well. It just puts a smile on my face. So, I’m starting with the Chief. Looking forward to seeing the patina develop.

I’ll start both these tests the same with a light coating of mineral oil.

Day 1:
Shiny and new out of the mailbox. Everything was perfect on the knife and I instantly loved it. No use other than opening and closing a couple hundred times while watching tv. Already smoothed out.

Day 2:
Cut up my banana for breakfast, some strawberries for the kids, and my sandwich at lunch. Also, cut several dozen heavy plastic bands at work and some old hoses and tubing on a pump I was replacing. Glides through everything like butter with the factory edge still on it. Got off early today because of rain.
Slightly obsessed…
VooDooChild

Re: M4 Native Chief/M4 Shaman Comparisons and Contrasts

Post by VooDooChild »

I lucky enough to have chiefs and shamans in s30v, cts xhp, m4, and rex45. Which is kind of ridiculous, I need to start thinning the herd.

Personally I gravitate towards the shaman. The chief is the better slicer but most of my edc cuts dont require sliciness.

My issue is I really like the blade profile of the native 5 but I wanted a bigger handle. The chief solves the handle problem perfectly but as that blade profile gets stretched out I just feel like the tip is too acute. Im sure it can still handle WAY more abuse than I am giving it credit for. But the shaman keeps that native blade profile and beefs it up way more.

The shaman is also probably my favorite choil grip. I wish the behind the choil grip had a little more real estate, but the choil grip is soooo good.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's impressive how similar these two are but being so different at the same time. I really like how the Chief is essential just a longer Native, I like how the center area around the pivot is pretty much the same thing (has anyone ever laid them on top of each other? Is it actually the same?). I like how the Shaman takes the basic idea of a Native and turns it up to 11 in the beefiness department. I REALLY like the thicker scales on the Shaman.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

I’ll be watching this thread with great interest!

Also, nice work using the Chief in the kitchen. My REX45 variant is an absolute beast when it comes to food prep!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I compared the zwear shaman to my m4 chief.

To me the Chief is the knife I'd reach for between the two 10/10 times.

The size fits me better, and so does the balance.

I prinarily use my folders behind the index choil.

Chief feels perfectly balanced there. Shaman feels blade heavy.

Chief has better geometry too. The Shaman wasn't bad, but the Chief is definitely the better slicer between the two.

Chief is lighter and more compact in the pocket despite a longer blade. Makes it a better EDC for me.

I like the rounded edges of the Shaman. I do the same thing to my Chiefs by hand.

Both are really nice designs, but the Chief is the clear winner for my preferences.

Here's a thread where I did an indepth look at the Shaman VS Manix XL. Lots of photos.

viewtopic.php?t=89067
:unicorn
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Shaman is the native that went to the gym and got buff. The Chief is track star.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I’d love a chief with contoured Micarta scales.

I almost bought the M4 Chief, but the fact that there are no aftermarket scales yet held me back.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I'm looking forward to hearing your experiences!

The Chief is the clear winner for me in nearly every aspect concerning a folding pocket knife. I picked it up to fill a niche in the collection, and it was unexpectedly an instant favorite.
So it goes.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:27 pm
Shaman is the native that went to the gym and got buff. The Chief is track star.
Chief is Rock Star
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Yesterday was day 3 with the Chief. Today is day 4.

So far really loving this guy. I still love my PM2s, but I can see this beating them out for work and fishing carry. Time will tell. Has accomplished all my tasks so far and the “fragile” tip hasn’t scared me at all. No different than my PM2s and I don’t pry with my knives anyway. Comfortable in hand even on extended use cutting up double thick cardboard.

I have almost caught myself with the tip a few times during food prep. Not use to the length yet. Steel is taking on a cool patina already. Hard to see in pics.
Slightly obsessed…
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 3:11 pm
I lucky enough to have chiefs and shamans in s30v, cts xhp, m4, and rex45. Which is kind of ridiculous, I need to start thinning the herd.

Personally I gravitate towards the shaman. The chief is the better slicer but most of my edc cuts dont require sliciness.

My issue is I really like the blade profile of the native 5 but I wanted a bigger handle. The chief solves the handle problem perfectly but as that blade profile gets stretched out I just feel like the tip is too acute. Im sure it can still handle WAY more abuse than I am giving it credit for. But the shaman keeps that native blade profile and beefs it up way more.

The shaman is also probably my favorite choil grip. I wish the behind the choil grip had a little more real estate, but the choil grip is soooo good.
Yeah, the tip hasn’t scared me, but I am used to the PM2. I always carry a small set of pliers with me at work and a small pry bar, so I don’t have to worry about snapping the tip. I process a lot of cardboard and cut a lot of bands and zip ties at work and slicey blades work great for that.

I have cheated on the challenge a bit and have been playing with the Shaman at night some too to break the action in before I start carrying it.
Slightly obsessed…
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

vivi wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:56 pm

Chief has better geometry too. The Shaman wasn't bad, but the Chief is definitely the better slicer between the two.

Chief is lighter and more compact in the pocket despite a longer blade. Makes it a better EDC for me.

I like the rounded edges of the Shaman. I do the same thing to my Chiefs by hand.

Both are really nice designs, but the Chief is the clear winner for my preferences.

Here's a thread where I did an indepth look at the Shaman VS Manix XL. Lots of photos.

viewtopic.php?t=89067
Yeah, it feels smaller and lighter in my pocket than my PM2s, and my Manix 2 lightweight. I still really like my Caribbean too though. I’m just glad to have options!
Slightly obsessed…
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

vivi wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:56 pm

viewtopic.php?t=89067
Yeah, it’s really impressive how small it feels in my pocket. Definitely feels smaller than a PM2.

I feel like the Chief could become my go to for mountain fly fishing and my Caribbean can fill in for salt water. Time will tell.
Slightly obsessed…
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

kennethsime wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 10:05 pm
I’d love a chief with contoured Micarta scales.

I almost bought the M4 Chief, but the fact that there are no aftermarket scales yet held me back.
You’re a micarta addict!🤪
Slightly obsessed…
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Forgot to post here. I worked out a trade for another non spydie I had for a NIB Rex 45 Chief today. The sickness is real. Gotta catch ‘em all now I guess.
Slightly obsessed…
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Both are excellent!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

In the size range we are getting to, doesn’t the Military kind of eclipse both Shaman and Chief?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Going by the specs, the Native Chief has a longer blade than the Military. However, the Military has more edge due to the smaller choil cutout on the blade area. More in the handle on the Military. The Shaman is closer to the Mid-Size range like the PM2.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

Days 4/5. Still loving this. Cleaned the blade/pivot up last night and got a fresh coat of oil for the week ahead. M4 is still hair popping sharp after almost a week of use.
Slightly obsessed…
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

twinboysdad wrote:
Mon May 16, 2022 8:37 am
In the size range we are getting to, doesn’t the Military kind of eclipse both Shaman and Chief?
I’ve never really been drawn to the Military. I don’t like tip down carry and I don’t like liner locks in general. Nothing against them, just not my jam.
Slightly obsessed…