LC Salt 2 wharncliffe or Delica 4 wharncliffe?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: LC Salt 2 wharncliffe or Delica 4 wharncliffe?

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:06 pm
I think the larger thumb hole and taller ramp is only on the sheepsfoot/regular style blade on the Salt 2. I believe the wharncliffe is regular Delica hump and hole size.

https://youtu.be/0fIZiJonA10

For me I like the larger thumb hole.

Thanks, I did not know that!

Wonder why this is - wharnie Salt 2 having a smaller thumb hole / less steep ramp than the "regular" Salt 2?
Probably they figured with the taller blade of the "regular" Salt 2 the wharnie Salt 2 would get a too big footprint when closed?

Anyway: I don´t really notice a difference in operation between the smaller Delica and larger Salt 2 ("regular") ramp, do generally like the taller blade of the Salt 2 but as said do prefer the Delica ergos when actually putting the thumb on the ramp (which I almost never do anyways).

What is still true for the wharnie Salt 2, just going by the specs on the Spyderco site: 2 to 3 mm more blade / edge than the Delica (depending on which particular Delica model one looks).
I like that. Not only functionwise, I also think the blade to handle ratio looks more "harmonic" on the Salt 2.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

spydergoat wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 4:20 pm
One thing against the Salt, mine is not super smooth on the pivot. I don't know if mine could eb adjusted better, or if the washer running directly on the polymer handle creates some friction. I don't care about that and if you're looking at backlocks, maybe you don't either.
Is it grittiness or more of a stop or break in the action? I just compared my Salt2s to my Delicas after this post and I noticed a "1/3" stop during close and opening - as opposed to some non-locking folders with a half-stop. My H1 and Delicas don't have this stop only my lc200n. My guess is the lockbar spring is meeting something on the bottom of the lockbar.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:28 pm
JSumm wrote:
I think the larger thumb hole and taller ramp is only on the sheepsfoot/regular style blade on the Salt 2. I believe the wharncliffe is regular Delica hump and hole size.

Wonder why this is - wharnie Salt 2 having a smaller thumb hole / less steep ramp than the "regular" Salt 2?
Probably they figured with the taller blade of the "regular" Salt 2 the wharnie Salt 2 would get a too big footprint when closed?

Anyway: I don´t really notice a difference in operation between the smaller Delica and larger Salt 2 ("regular") ramp, do generally like the taller blade of the Salt 2 but as said do prefer the Delica ergos when actually putting the thumb on the ramp (which I almost never do anyways).

What is still true for the wharnie Salt 2, just going by the specs on the Spyderco site: 2 to 3 mm more blade / edge than the Delica (depending on which particular Delica model one looks).
I like that. Not only functionwise, I also think the blade to handle ratio looks more "harmonic" on the Salt 2.
i didn't realize it was different either. one of the reasons i like the salts is the larger opening hole. i'm not sure why i prefer it, but i do. it's one of the reasons i like the manix also. i don't have a salt 2 yet, but if i ever move somewhere that the pac salt is illegal to carry, i'm definitely going to get at least one.

if you all want a smoother salt knife, the caribbean is the smoothest knife i own. second would be the spydiechef. taichung knows what they're doing.

eta: i'm actually carrying these two knives today and they're probably tied for smoothness. the caribbean has a different feel though. the travel feels lighter easier. the spydiechef is slower and doesn't drop free because of the constant pressure from the lock bar, but it's still so smooth.
Last edited by ladybug93 on Fri May 13, 2022 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:23 am
Wartstein wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 11:28 pm
JSumm wrote:

i didn't realize it was different either. one of the reasons i like the salts is the larger opening hole. i'm not sure why i prefer it, but i do. it's one of the reasons i like the manix also. i don't have a salt 2 yet, but if i ever move somewhere that the pac salt is illegal to carry, i'm definitely going to get at least one.

if you all want a smoother salt knife, the caribbean is the smoothest knife i own. second would be the spydiechef. taichung knows what they're doing.
I should have mentioned, that is from some random guy on YouTube. When you compare the two side by side you can see the difference.

And yes the Manix has that larger diameter hole as well. My thumb does not typically slip off the opening hole of any Spyderco, but there is a difference opening my Manix and Pac Salt with that larger diameter hole. Easier maybe. More confidence inspiring maybe. I don't know. I like it more better. :smlling-eyes
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 9:05 am
I should have mentioned, that is from some random guy on YouTube. When you compare the two side by side you can see the difference.

And yes the Manix has that larger diameter hole as well. My thumb does not typically slip off the opening hole of any Spyderco, but there is a difference opening my Manix and Pac Salt with that larger diameter hole. Easier maybe. More confidence inspiring maybe. I don't know. I like it more better. :smlling-eyes
the only knife i really notice it on is the yojimbo. i never have any issues opening it quickly, but i wish it had a larger hole as well. just a couple more mms makes a big difference.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Someone gave me a wharnie Salt 2 for my birthday, completely surprising me. The thing slices like a laser. I accidentally hit some metal cutting in the dark and the edge touched up with zero damage. Previously I had tried the Spydie Chef in LC, but don't like the blade angle so I never carry it (plus my blade hit a standoff while closed and rolled the edge which added to my annoyances).

I'd say get the Salt 2. You'll barely notice it in your pocket, but always enjoy it when you reach to use it.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I like this one ... for every day carry!
Attachments
IMG_3696.jpg
So many knives - so little funds!!!
islandpar

Post by islandpar »

Salt 2 Wharnie LC200N is always in my bag. D4 K390 Wharnie is part of my pocket rotation. Any chance of a Para 3 Wharnie?
"Remember, it is never the knife's fault." - Daniel Boulud

18 Spyders and counting...
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I went to the shop to leave with a Wharncliffe 390 or LC200. I left with a mini Bugout. First non Spyderco I have bought since 2006.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Oloung1 wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 5:46 am
Is it grittiness or more of a stop or break in the action? I just compared my Salt2s to my Delicas after this post and I noticed a "1/3" stop during close and opening - as opposed to some non-locking folders with a half-stop. My H1 and Delicas don't have this stop only my lc200n. My guess is the lockbar spring is meeting something on the bottom of the lockbar.
Little gritty, not a problem but going back to the Delica that one feels very smooth.