Identify GIN-1

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ocinatas

Identify GIN-1

Post by ocinatas »

Picked this up at an estate sale today. Not sure of the model or when it was manufactured. Any ideas? I've been looking at Spydercos for a while now so I was happy to come across it today, especially at $5. My first Spyderco after many Kershaws.

Blade Markings:

SPYDERCO
GIN-1 STAINLESS

SEKI-CITY
JAPAN

Clip says: US PATENT 4347665 FOREIGN PATS PENDING

No other visible markings
Attachments
IMG_1501.jpg
IMG_1499.jpg
rangefinder

Re: Identify GIN-1

Post by rangefinder »

That's quite a score for $5! That's an original Worker, see info here: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C01_Worker

Looks like either the black coated stainless handle or the black "Tuffram" aluminum handle; see rows 5 and 6 of the table on the page abvoe.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Ocinatas,

Welcome to our form.

The model is a remake of the original "Worker" model which was our first model. Gin 1 is Gingami 1, a stainless blade steel made by Hitachi. That is an exceptionally "inexpensive" price. The raw steel in the blade would cost way more than you paid for the knife.

sal
ocinatas

Post by ocinatas »

Thanks for the info, Sal. I saw the blade hole and knew it was a steal at $5, but i didn’t appreciate how special it is. My EDCs have a tendency to disappear every now and then, so I think I’ll pick up a Para 2 or 3 for carry and keep this one at home. Love the blade.
sal wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:37 pm
Hi Ocinatas,

Welcome to our form.

The model is a remake of the original "Worker" model which was our first model. Gin 1 is Gingami 1, a stainless blade steel made by Hitachi. That is an exceptionally "inexpensive" price. The raw steel in the blade would cost way more than you paid for the knife.

sal
ocinatas

Post by ocinatas »

rangefinder, thanks for the info! Looks like the Tuffram model. Guess I really lucked out
rangefinder wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:36 pm
That's quite a score for $5! That's an original Worker, see info here: https://www.spydiewiki.com/index.php?title=C01_Worker

Looks like either the black coated stainless handle or the black "Tuffram" aluminum handle; see rows 5 and 6 of the table on the page abvoe.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Deal-of-the-century!
404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Congrats ! Always glad to see someone stumble on a Spyderco. Friend found a Mariner year ago at a garage sale starting his collection . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau