Bob Lum Chinese Folder and Astute Comparison

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Toucan

Bob Lum Chinese Folder and Astute Comparison

Post by Toucan »

Anyone have both a Bob Lum and an Astute?

I've never owned a Lum Chinese Folver, but I do have an Astute. It's one of my favorite knives, but what few gripes I do have with it seem to be answered with the Lum. Less belly, no thumb ramp, maybe a bit of a more universal/neutral (not quite sure how to explain what I mean) handle. Obviously, it's not a 1:1 comparison; they are very different designs. But, I do find myself comparing the two in my head. Maybe it's just that they're both 3" choil-less liner locks with vaguely bulbous blades.

How do they compare to each other in your opinion? Anyone with both want to share a side-by-side picture?

Also, here's hoping they do another Sprint of the Chinese Folder. Maybe in K390.
Giygas

Re: Bob Lum Chinese Folder and Astute Comparison

Post by Giygas »

Unfortunately, Ive never handled an Astute and my friend has been using my Lum Chinese Folder non-stop since I let him borrow it almost 5 years ago so I can't offer any actual help.

I just wanna say that I would buy at least 2 k390 Chinese folders. That would also give me hope of seeing a k390 Lum Tanto.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
olywa

Post by olywa »

I have an Astute and enjoy it, though it is a little smaller than I'd like. In a perfect world it would be 25% larger and have an upgraded steel. I've never had a Lum but I've come close to ordering them in the past because the design really appeals to me. I'd love to see some new releases in both sizes, and I second your vote for k390.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

olywa wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 8:04 am
I have an Astute and enjoy it, though it is a little smaller than I'd like. In a perfect world it would be 25% larger and have an upgraded steel. I've never had a Lum but I've come close to ordering them in the past because the design really appeals to me. I'd love to see some new releases in both sizes, and I second your vote for k390.
I sometimes think the same thing, but I do enjoy how small the Astute is. It really stands out as a tiny knife with a regular sized blade. If scaled up it'd be a regular sized knife with a huge blade, which would be cool, but lose a bit of the charm for me. It's like a 300 HP subcompact compared to a 500 HP full size sedan. I'd take the subcompact any day.
yowzer

Post by yowzer »

Toucan wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 3:03 am
Anyone with both want to share a side-by-side picture?
Here you go:

The handle on the Astute is just a smidgen too small for my hands to be perfect, but it's my favorite of the Chinese Spyderco line. The Lum Chinese is probably one of my top-five designs, and, yeah, I'd love to see a new run in a super steel.
olywa

Post by olywa »

Great shot, thanks. Now I'm consumed with unrequited Lum lust...
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Thanks for sharing that picture!
bjz

Post by bjz »

I’ve had the astute on my list for a long while…now I seem to want the Lum Chinese. AND the lil lum 🤦🏼
samdasnake

Post by samdasnake »

I already own a lum Chinese but this thread really makes me want to pick up an Astute
Michael Cook

Post by Michael Cook »

my carbon fibre Lum Chinese is my gentleman's/BBQ knife. I like it so much it's hard to use it but no safe queens allowed.