The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Netherend

The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by Netherend »

I have seen posts on this forum about PM2 fatigue from all of the sprint runs and production models and I have also seen people jump off of their seats for exclusive pm2 drops which suggests that the pm2 is far from the end of its life. Recently we have seen new versions of the pm2. I feel like the Magnacut pm2 is inevitable so where do I sign up for mine? :winking-tongue
Just one more knife...
ladybug93

Re: The Magnacut Paramilitary 2

Post by ladybug93 »

i'm honestly surprised we're seeing the manix in magnacut first given that the pm2 seems to be more popular. personally, i prefer the manix, but i still find it surprising. probably more a result of there already being a lw manix, but no pm2 lw yet.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm unrealisticly hoping it's the steel used for the PM2 LW debut :)
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

At this point, Magnacut is riding such a powerful hype train that it literally doesn’t matter what model it’s in, it will sell. A Magnacut “this” or a Magnacut “that” is going to have buyers.

I think Spyderco needs to be very calculated when it comes to marketing their Magnacut knives now that they’ve deemed it “salt worthy.”

The list of hypothetical questions is long:
- Does every model they use Magnacut on have to be part of the Salt series?
- If a model comes in Magnacut but isn’t a full on Salt, will that effect Spydercos reputation?
- How much confusion will it cause when Magnacut is both part of the Salt series and not part of the Salt series?
- If the first PM2 using Magnacut is not considered part of the Salt series, will there be backlash for what “should’ve” been?
- There will, without a single doubt, be a PM2 in Magnacut eventually but is it going to be a Salt?
- If it is, will there also be a non-Salt version?
-Nick :bug-red
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Netherend wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 pm
I have seen posts on this forum about PM2 fatigue from all of the sprint runs and production models and I have also seen people jump off of their seats for exclusive pm2 drops
I've noticed the same thing, but I'm the rare duck who doesn't feel strongly either way. The Para 2 was my first compression lock folder, and I wasn't impressed, especially because the handle felt blocky and for me had uncomfortable hot spots. I replaced the scales and clip, and now it feels great. Still, Spyderco makes several models I like even better, nearly all of them with longer blades. All that said, if Spyderco were to make a MagnaCut Para 2, it would be an awesome knife, and the biggest hit of its release year!

I wouldn't buy one, because now I'm focused on the Stretch 2 XL and its inevitable versions. For me that platform has so much potential as a Salt, maybe in MagnaCut, but really any of the Salt steels, and in different handles and other steels, that a MagnaCut PM2 would just cause me to be happy for you folks who especially enjoy PM2s, and not get much attention from me.

It'd be fun to watch the threads blow up, though. :cheap-sunglasses
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Coastal wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:05 pm
Netherend wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 5:33 pm
I have seen posts on this forum about PM2 fatigue from all of the sprint runs and production models and I have also seen people jump off of their seats for exclusive pm2 drops
I've noticed the same thing, but I'm the rare duck who doesn't feel strongly either way. The Para 2 was my first compression lock folder, and I wasn't impressed, especially because the handle felt blocky and for me had uncomfortable hot spots. I replaced the scales and clip, and now it feels great. Still, Spyderco makes several models I like even better, nearly all of them with longer blades. All that said, if Spyderco were to make a MagnaCut Para 2, it would be an awesome knife, and the biggest hit of its release year!

I wouldn't buy one, because now I'm focused on the Stretch 2 XL and its inevitable versions. For me that platform has so much potential as a Salt, maybe in MagnaCut, but really any of the Salt steels, and in different handles and other steels, that a MagnaCut PM2 would just cause me to be happy for you folks who especially enjoy PM2s, and not get much attention from me.

It'd be fun to watch the threads blow up, though. :cheap-sunglasses
PM2 wouldn't be my first choice but I agree the feeding frenzy would be awesome to behold. But I also know I'm weak and could easily succumb to the allure of a PM2 in MagnaCut.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Caribbean Lightweight in MagnaCut! That’ll pry the greenbacks right out of my account. I have enough PM2’s already (5), but only one Caribbean so far.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I think they demo’d a PM2 LW at Blade last year. My vote is on a PM2 LW Salt.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

We're getting a Native 5 LW first, not a Manix :DDD
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

It's kind of crazy people assume the PM2 could be at the end of its life.

We don't have the numbers, but i'd be surprised if it isn't one of the top 5 knife that sells the best, even to this day. Some design are so well-down that they keep selling. The PM2, the Griptilian, the Delica, the Sebenza... all those knives will keep selling for decades because we didn't really make any better since.

I mean, I love love love the Slysz Bowie, but even I know it's inferior to the PM2 in terms of pure utility.

There's a huge difference between forums/social network hype and the real world.
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Xformer wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 4:08 am
It's kind of crazy people assume the PM2 could be at the end of its life.

We don't have the numbers, but i'd be surprised if it isn't one of the top 5 knife that sells the best, even to this day. Some design are so well-down that they keep selling. The PM2, the Griptilian, the Delica, the Sebenza... all those knives will keep selling for decades because we didn't really make any better since.

I mean, I love love love the Slysz Bowie, but even I know it's inferior to the PM2 in terms of pure utility.

There's a huge difference between forums/social network hype and the real world.
Id bet it's not even in the top 50.

The average knife buyer doesn't even know ~$150 folding knives exist, let alone consider buying them.

We're insane to the world as a whole.
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
13 Maxace, 9 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
standy99

Post by standy99 »

PM2 fatigue……

Know 2 guys at work that have just discovered them (and Spyderco) and are beginning the M&Ms gotta have one in every colour journey.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Soulrack

Post by Soulrack »

I'll take a PM2 in Magnacut but please don't make it yellow.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Mushroom wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 7:02 pm
At this point, Magnacut is riding such a powerful hype train that it literally doesn’t matter what model it’s in, it will sell. A Magnacut “this” or a Magnacut “that” is going to have buyers.

I think Spyderco needs to be very calculated when it comes to marketing their Magnacut knives now that they’ve deemed it “salt worthy.”

- If a model comes in Magnacut but isn’t a full on Salt, will that effect Spydercos reputation?
- How much confusion will it cause when Magnacut is both part of the Salt series and not part of the Salt series?
- If the first PM2 using Magnacut is not considered part of the Salt series, will there be backlash for what “should’ve” been?
- There will, without a single doubt, be a PM2 in Magnacut eventually but is it going to be a Salt?
I had thought the same thing. Seeing as they are making the first folding Magnacut model a Salt, might they have created some branding/marketing obstacles going forward? Other companies are basically just making Magnacut knives as an upgraded steel option, while Spyderco is saying, hey, this is the new Salt knife steel... Not how I would have played it, but I'm not a marketing person. Judging by the million threads saying "how about a Magnacut _____", people aren't looking for a new Salt model, they just want magical Magnacut on their favorite knife.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Wasn’t Dr. Larrin’s idea for Magnacut more strength and toughness for a stainless steel.

I seem to remember reading that he was somewhat surprised by the level of stainless that he had achieved.

Spyderco coming out with a Magnacut Salt doesn’t change what Larkin was shooting for in the first place.

Not all Magnacut knives have to be Salt editions.

They can just be knives that happen to be very corrosion resistant.

Can’t they?
Last edited by jwbnyc on Wed May 11, 2022 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

jwbnyc wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 2:56 pm
Wasn’t Dr. Larkin’s idea for Magnacut more strength and toughness for a stainless steel.

I seem to remember reading that he was somewhat surprised by the level of stainless that he had achieved.

Spyderco coming out with a Magnacut Salt doesn’t change what Larkin was shooting for in the first place.

Not all Magnacut knives have to be Salt editions.

They can just be knives that happen to be very corrosion resistant.

Can’t they?
It would be a shame if Magnacut was a salt only steel. I’d love to see it in a variety of knives .

The pm2 is one of those knives that grew on me the more I used it. I’d be curious to see a lightweight model with Magnacut.
Just one more knife...
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have the PM2 variations that I want in collection. I would be more interested in a Caribbean in Magnacut. The Native and Manix2 will do nicely . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
chkn

Post by chkn »

Mushroom wrote:
There are a good number of knives that Spyderco has made in H1 and/or LC200N that don't have "Salt" in their names and they've made knives in tool steels that boast high levels of toughness in smaller blades where that shouldn't be a concern, it's not like it's unprecedented. Why would you shoehorn yourself into using a steel for only a particular "type" of knife when people in the industry are already using it for anything and everything? If the concern is widespread use of the steel in the lineup will cause the Salt series to suffer then I disagree because the people who buy the Salt series generally want a knife built from the ground up to be a wet environment tool with specific purposes.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mushroom wrote:

It sounded like the MagnaCut Native 5 will be a somewhat user feedback R&D experiment. I'm not sure if we'll see a full MagnaCut Salt rollout, we didn't with LC200N because so far the only truly rust PROOF steel they use is H1. I'm betting knives will roll out as just very high corrosion resistant models, similar to how something like S110V might be, and then we may see full Salt models with the accompanying Salt rated hardware. For most non salt water active people though, I think any MagnaCut model will essentially fit the bill, all but those who have issues with hardware rusting.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I recall being swept into the hype of LC200N, then being brought down to earth when we learned it inclined to galvanic reaction and its wear-resistance was much closer to VG10 than S30V. So, we had to learn its constraints.

Staying within them, I’ve enjoyed my Caribbean, Tusk, SpydieChef, WaterWay, and Siren. I don’t let them stand near other metals in salt water (Tusk?!), and I do rinse them in fresh water when done. Besides, if their edge-holding is not their claim to fame, their sharpening-response just might be.

I’m waiting for the other foot to fall on MagnaCut. Presently, I’m led to conclude that it performs like Cruwear but with much better corrosion-resistance.

If that proves to be the case, I’ll take that in a PM2. And, no need to claim it’s a Salt (with costlier hardware…).

For me, H1 is the consummate anti-salt steel. The imminent MagnaCut Native5 “Salt” strikes me as a hypothesis waiting—provocatively—to be disproven.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”