Carter Design & Galley V combo.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Carter Design & Galley V combo.

Post by sal »

Hi All,

I hope you’ll excuse the shameless sales pitch, but I think it’s more than that. You might think of it as a talkin’ story, your call?

Gail and I have been using a combination of the Murray Carter kitchen knives, both at home in Colorado, and our condo on the island. Along with each set, we use one of the new “Galley V’s” that are set a 10 DPS (20 degrees total).
We use the 5 pc set in one of our Maple blocks. A high line version in Super Blue San Mai in Colorado, where it’s fairly dry and a set of G-10 handled CTS-BD1n on Island, which is very humid. The more we use them, the more we can appreciate Murray’s experience in leading to the designs, and the thin flat execution of the designs.

Murray and I go back more than a decade. I’ve watched his development here in the US Since he came in from Japan, where he earned his art. (I own one of his Murray Career Folders). He’s a very effective bladesmith, but he’s also an artist. He has created a very effective set of kitchen tools. We have tried to bring you that exceptional refinement at a variety of price points. (Super Blue san Mai, with exotic custom G-10 handles, CTS-BD1n with machined G-10 handles and CTS-BD1n with injection molded handles.

Gail is a skilled chef, I’m often the “cut guy” prepping. We like our edges thinner. Even thinner than “stock”. I use the Galley V with the CBN rods to re-profile to a 10 DPS and I use the ceramic rods for regular maintenance.
It’s an expensive package, but the combination is an effective solution to kitchen prep. I thought to share our personal experience with the combination.

My apologies to any that think I'm being too commercial. :worried

sal
Wandering_About

Re: Carter Design & Galley V combo.

Post by Wandering_About »

I have thoroughly enjoyed the BD1N Carter kitchen knives since I got a couple of them. As a bachelor cooking for one, the Funayuki seems to work the best for me most of the time. Have not tried thinning the edge down though, the knife is ground super thin and works very well with the factory edge.

Measurement behind the edge of my Funayuki, from the factory. Right where I like it for a slicer in the kitchen.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

:grin-big eyes Good commercial
I didn't realize the galley V had a 10dps setting. I may have to look into that.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

sal wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 8:58 pm

My apologies to any that think I'm being too commercial.
For us unwashed masses, it's good to find out what the big dogs use.

One day I might throw down for a set of Itamae's, but I'm emotionally attached to our current kitchen knifes. They're a nice consumer grade, but not knife-geek grade. They were a gift when we bought our first house in 1985. Years later, when the plastic scales became wonky, my wife rescaled them with bottlebrush wood from our yard. They're not the sort of thing that I just want to set aside.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I’ve been using my Galley V with the CBN rods from the Gauntlet to set a few knives at 10 dps as well. Then I finish them with the ceramics that came with the Galley V. I’m eyeing one of the injected molded with BD1N for my wife.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

sal,
Quick question, are you using the CBN rods from the Gauntlet in your Galley V? I couldn't find any Galley V CBN rods for sale or not for sale for that matter.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Soanso McMasters

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:08 am
sal,
Quick question, are you using the CBN rods from the Gauntlet in your Galley V? I couldn't find any Galley V CBN rods for sale or not for sale for that matter.
They aren’t as long but they work well nonetheless.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

As much as I respect Spyderco and the custom work of Murray Carter...I upgraded my kitchen cutlery about 2 years before the collaboration came to fruition and I have no regrets.

The 210mm Takamura Gyuto in R2 sees 90% of my work in the kitchen and is a super thin .063" stock (.0055" BTE)...while the 150mm petty is a .052" (.0045" BTE) laser and both are convexed flat grinds.

The AUS-10 8" Misen chef's knife and paring knife are great for tougher tasks when needed, and are very affordable while being extremely ergonomic.

The 10" Wusthof classic and 9" serrated Miyabi in SG2 excel in their specified roles and seriously round out the kitchen cutting needs of this unprofessional bachelor.

The Carter collection seems very nice and had it been available when I was purchasing, would have been in consideration, but honestly for the price and performance, I don't think I would have done anything differently.

[Un]Fortunately kitchen cutlery is not as compulsively collectable as are folding knives or camp fixed blades for my case, and I feel quite content in my current setup.

I'm glad the collection is available, but the price vs knife feels a bit like drinking the Kool-Aid...

I am very intrigued by the 10 DPS ability of the Galley V and honestly not sure how I missed that data point for so long though...

I've got a few lesser kitchen knives and a couple of PE & SE Z-cuts, but 4 knives see 99% of the work in my kitchen. YMMV
So it goes.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I think it made every edge nut in the forum think very hard about the Galley V !
I personnally can only go to 10 dps by hand, so maybe I'll look into it later on. Might be a system more dedicated to the kitchen than anything, in my case.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

I have a Itamae Bunka Bocho in Super Blue, which I absolutely love (https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/detail ... Bocho/1822). This is the knife which I almost exclusively use in the kitchen now; the quality is excellent and the edge retention is great. It's a steep price, but I'd buy it again... Super Blue is one of my favorite kitchen steels and the build quality of Spyderco knives is phenomenal. I've bought other Japanese kitchen knives in Super Blue that haven't been as nice as my Spyderco (e.g., the grind, the attachment of the blade to the handle, etc.), and even though expensive, I'm glad Spyderco puts in the extra effort to turn out a high-quality and reliable product!

I'm excited about the new knife block Spyderco is coming out with, but I'd love to see Sayas made for these knives. I'm in the process of trying to make my own.
Holland

Post by Holland »

Very cool to hear your personal experiences. I have had a superblue petty on my list for a long-time. I'll eventually have to pick one up
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:31 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
sal,
They're the same in cross section?
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

I’m interested in the CBN Gauntlet rods for reprofiling on my Galley-V. How long are they?
Soanso McMasters

GarageBoy wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:32 am
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:31 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
sal,
They're the same in cross section?
They fit perfectly for me. I bought the Gauntlet and Galley V planning to use the CBN in both and it works perfectly.
B479998B-9F63-4577-B660-E44002F5BCAA.jpeg
Last edited by Soanso McMasters on Mon May 09, 2022 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Soanso McMasters

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:48 am
I’m interested in the CBN Gauntlet rods for reprofiling on my Galley-V. How long are they?
I’ll check for sure later but I think about 2 inches shorter.

ETA - 9 inches for the Gauntlet CBN and 12 inches for the Galley V ceramics
sal

Post by sal »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
sal,
Hi Zrows,

Yes, I'm using the CBN rods from the Gauntlet in my Galley V.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Knowing they are compatible is a plus! Thinking back on it, I think I originally passed on the galley V because it only had a fine ceramic stone.

Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:07 pm
Bill1170 wrote:

Thank you!
Soanso McMasters

Bill1170 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 8:11 pm
Soanso McMasters wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:07 pm
Bill1170 wrote:

Thank you!
No problem!
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've been pretty happy with the Z-cuts, I need to pick up a set of these.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!