Carter Design & Galley V combo.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Archimedes

Re: Carter Design & Galley V combo.

Post by Archimedes »

Thank you for the post. I just started my Spyderco Kitchen knife collection. I will be picking up a Galley V and the CBN stones.

These knives are so sharp from the factory and I am no chef, so they will stay sharp for a while with my limited use. I still use my Military folder for a lot of kitchen duties. But knowing the right tools to keep them sharp is very important for me. Only sharp knives are interesting.
R100

Post by R100 »

I use the Galley V with the CBN rods to re-profile to a 10 DPS and I use the ceramic rods for regular maintenance.

This is fascinating! Thanks for telling us about this Sal. I wonder how many steels or steel/ folder combinations this would work for in edc use? In my collection, I wonder about LC200N in the Spydiechef and K390 in Delica/Endura. I have a few knives I have taken down to 10 dps or less and added a microbevel to. These have been stable in my use with VG10, H1, S30v and N690, although I am maybe a bit more cautious with these ones. LC200N and K390 may be fine without the microbevel. I am largely a freehand sharpener but my results do damage the aesthetics of knives I have thinned out. The Galley V with CBN rods would be way neater and more consistent than my amateurish free hand sharpening.

Dan
sal

Post by sal »

We have a Sushi Master in Hanalei using this combination daily. He's using the BD1n version.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 2:46 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:08 am
sal,
Quick question, are you using the CBN rods from the Gauntlet in your Galley V? I couldn't find any Galley V CBN rods for sale or not for sale for that matter.
Hi Zrows,

Yes, I'm using the CBN rods from the Gauntlet in my Galley V.

sal
Sal,

Is there a plan to make longer 12 inch CBN rods specifically for the Galley V to re-profile the longer kitchen knives (e.g. the gyuto)?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Captnvegtble,

Not at this time. I imagine if the demand is there, we can always move on it. At this time, the Gauntlet CBN rods seems to be working.

sal
captnvegtble

Post by captnvegtble »

sal wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 8:37 pm
Hi Captnvegtble,

Not at this time. I imagine if the demand is there, we can always move on it. At this time, the Gauntlet CBN rods seems to be working.

sal
Thanks Sal. I'll have to give the Galley V another look... I usually free-hand sharpen all my knives, but the Galley V would be much more convenient and help to more frequently sharpen my knives.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Ok sal, you've sold me. I ordered a Galley V and the Gauntlet CBN stones. I'm going to try this on some of my thinner kitchen knives.

Some questions though:

Is this advisable for serrations on the Z-cuts? With a 1 degree blade bevel on the 'flat' side, that would put the knife at 11 degrees inclusive after reprofiling with the Galley V. I've never gone that thin with an edge. Yet I see that the galley V works for serrations so, I'm curious what your thoughts are there.

What about for a serrated K390 Police 4?

Or a PE K390 Wharncliffe Delica?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

I think that 10 DPS is too shallow for the Z Cuts or the P4. I've been sharpening Z-Cuts n the Gauntlet at 40 (20 DPS) and the P4 at 30 on the Sharpmaker. I did have to re-profile the P4 serrations to 30, so I did it over time with an occasional 40 micro bevel to keep performance there until the 30 reached the edge....if that makes sense?

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Well, I understand what you're saying on the P4, but being a glutton for punishment I just ground away until the bevel was at 30°. It took several sessions, but it was worth it.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Thanks Sal! I thought that might be the case. What serrated Spyderco knives would the Galley V be good for if any?

I just touched up a Serrated Z-cut on the Sharpmaker 15dps with good results, so I'll stick with that for my SE Z-cuts and SE P4.

I'll probably try one of my plain edge Z-cuts, and plain edge k390 Delica on the Galley V. I know my other plain edge K390 knives can hold 12DPS just fine in my uses, so I want to see whether the Delica can hang with 10 DPS.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Got the Galley V all set up. I like the 12 inch surface of the stones, you can get much better passes than with the sharpmaker. Bought a $5 wood sign blank at the hardware store to use as a base. I wanted to be able to move it around easily.

Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

I’ve been using a couple of sliding clamps and mounting it to my kitchen table when I use it. Your base looks good!
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

K390 Wharncliffe Delica. Reprofiled to 10DPS on the Galley V using the CBN stones from the Gauntlet, refined with the Galley V fine stones, and stropped on leather with .25 micron Diamond Paste. 110 Average BESS, all readings within +/- 3 points from 110.
Pic came out a little blurry at the apex but you get the idea. The longer stones give a much closer to 90° scratch pattern than the sharp maker. The edge bevel came out pretty clean, some slight convexity due to me losing focus every once in a while and tilting my wrist. But very happy with the results. It was a relatively quick process too. About three sharpening sessions, a little over an hour each to even out the factory bevel and go from 17 to 10 DPS.

I also really like the way the cats eye shape of the stones for the Galley V/ Gauntlet allow you to turn the stones or even the base slightly, so you can always find a fresh part of the stone to use. Allowed me to go much longer in between cleaning the stones.

Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

That looks wicked sharp. I have a Galley V and CBN stones now but have yet to get them out of the box and work with them.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So, Im noticing a bit of an issue using the Gauntlet stones in the Galley V. I used my 360° bubble level and noticed that there is a 2° difference between the Galley V fine stones and the Guantlet CBN stones when seated in the Galley V slots. It's most pronounced when using the corners.

Sal if you're watching this thread, that might be a good reason to consider a Galley V purpose made CBN stone.

It's also not ideal that the CBN stones are the more obtuse angle. What ends up happening is, you reprofile to 12DPS when you use the Gauntlet CBN stones, then when you go to refine that edge with the fine stones, all you end up doing is reprofiling the shoulders to 10DPS.

You can tilt the knife a little when you're sharpening to match the angle, and that works OK. But a more consistent angle would give a better edge.

As is I will likely not be using the stones together. I will either use the Gauntlet CBN stones at 12DPS for Knives with a medium/coarse finish or the Galley V fine stones at 10DPS. Im curious if I pick up some Gauntlet fine stones if they will be 12 DPS in the Galley V as well.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I was lucky enough to have gotten one of the original ( late 1990s) Galley V sharpening systems for quite some time now. And the only gripe I ever had with it was it was only available with just the "FINE" stones. I've often wondered just how great the old or new GALLEY V sharpener would be like with a better grit selection of stones or sharpening rods.

On the original GALLEY V system I just really loved those "Cat's Eye" type stones. I use one of those stones from the original Galley V to sharpen and finish my Dodo models. Those "Cat's Eye" stones have a lot of versatility with Hawkbill, Reverse S and even Recurve blades.

The concept of the GALLEY V is just outright brilliant in it's design and scope. Just another great Spyderco sharpening tool.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 11:59 pm
So, Im noticing a bit of an issue using the Gauntlet stones in the Galley V. I used my 360° bubble level and noticed that there is a 2° difference between the Galley V fine stones and the Guantlet CBN stones when seated in the Galley V slots. It's most pronounced when using the corners.
While we're talking about it. The longer stones and stone Shape of the galley V is superior to the Sharpmaker for most of my uses.

I'd like to see a sharpmaker style base for the Galley V with a 15 and 12 Degree slots. As well as a CBN and Ultrafine Stone options.

A sharpmaker style base for The Gauntlet stones with 15 and 12 degree slots would work as well although I really like the added length of the Galley V.

Im also not a huge fan of the handgaurd on the Gauntlet. I tend to use a weight or attach my sharpmaker to a heavy base so I don't have to hold it with my left hand. The hand gaurd on the Gauntlet prevents that.

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

Thanx for the input.

sal