Can Faded Micarta Scales Be Restored?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
rfo1

Can Faded Micarta Scales Be Restored?

Post by rfo1 »

I recently purchased an NIB C16PS Wayne Goddard micarta on the secondary market.On close inspection I notice that the micarta scales appear faded in places--perhaps by sunlight.My question is--is there a way to correct this flaw short of sending the knife back to Spyderco? Or should I leave well enough alone and forget about it? Suggestions, fellow spydie friends?
Paul D.

Post by Paul D. »

rfo1,

A lot of the micarta Goddards look sort of greenish gray when they first come out of the box. Once you handle it a while the oils from your hand should change it back to black. If you can't wait you can apply a small amount of mineral oil. Apply as little as possible and then wipe off any excess. That should do it. Micarta will change colors over time, but some colors seem more prone than others. Black is fairly stable in my experience. White and natural tends to get a little more brown, which usually looks pretty nice. I've even heard of a older Randall with a red/maroon micarta handle that turned black on the owner while it was in storage. What a bummer since he had to special order that color.

Paul
obi-wan

Post by obi-wan »

rfo1, I agree with Paul. I have a Calypso with micarta handles and noticed the oils from my hand caused the black colour to appear darker in some places than others. I used some oil on the handle (not too much) and it developed a nice dark sheen.
rfo1

Post by rfo1 »

thank you for the feedback Paul and Obi-Wan. I'll take your advise and apply a bit of mineral oil to the scales. I have learned that this knife was first produced in 1991 so my guess is that it's been in the box for quite some time.
Rick
rfo1

Post by rfo1 »

thank you for the feedback Paul and Obi-Wan. I'll take your advise and apply a bit of mineral oil to the scales. I have learned that this knife was first produced in 1991 so my guess is that it's been in the box for quite some time.
Rick
rfo1

Post by rfo1 »

Rick
rfo1

Post by rfo1 »

thanks for the advice Paul and Obi Wan.
Rick
rfo1

Post by rfo1 »

thanks for the advice Paul and Obi Wan.
Rick