Seki City models disappointing

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Seki City models disappointing

Post by TkoK83Spy »

TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:34 am
If I'm going to actually use a knife, I really don't care if the grind is uneven. I just use it anyway.

For a collector, I can see how you'd want perfect grinds. It's just way down on my list of qualities for a user knife. In fact, it's not really on that list at all.
Absolutely right. You can always even up the grinds while sharpening, I've had to do that a with a few of my favorite knives shortly after receiving them. If everything else is good with the knife, then that's not a problem.

I also think if I were strictly a collector, I'd probably give every knife an even bevel with a mirror finish...because let's be honest, those look pretty darn nice for a non user knife!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Matus

Post by Matus »

Reading all the posts - this sounds basically like a QC issue.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

Don't expect Spydie flick capabilities from the Seki back locks. The lack of single finger flick opening with one of these isn't a defect, it should be expected.

Some will do it, some won't. Sal invented the thumb hole to be used with your thumb. Works great. ;)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Eli Chaps wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:56 am
Don't expect Spydie flick capabilities from the Seki back locks. The lack of single finger flick opening with one of these isn't a defect, it should be expected.

Some will do it, some won't. Sal invented the thumb hole to be used with your thumb. Works great. ;)
The only spyderco I cant flick open is the backlock manix 2. Every seki backlock I have handled is flickable.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I think about half of my spydercos are sekis and I havent had any real qc issues. I had one that needed a disassembly and cleaning. Some of them dont have lockup on par with Golden/Taichung backlocks, but thats to be expected as its an older design and an older build method.

The only Spyderco I have had to return for a warranty claim was from Taichung.

The only Spyderco I have had that had a REAL problem out of the box was from Golden.

The most uneven grind I have ever gotten was on a 200 plus dollar Golden knife.

Sometimes quality stuff just happens.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I've never had a problem spydie flicking any of the normal sized Seki back locks (Delica or larger). Dragonflies and such tend to go flying across the room.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I've got a big box full of Seki Spydercos. I've never seen the problems the OP mentioned. I know some can have very tight tolerances. There could also be a burr. In any case, forcefully snapping it open a few times, or pushing the bar into place would likely cure it. Toothpaste could help with that. Put some in the tang area when the bar contacts it and open the knife to lock many times. Toothpaste is a mild abrasive. That would take care of the problem. I've had other brands that I have had to do the toothpaste trick on and it works.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I've owned several Seki knives with no issues. Compared to a certain domestic maker, they're eons of quality better metallurgy wise.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Accutron wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:15 am
I've never had a problem spydie flicking any of the normal sized Seki back locks (Delica or larger). Dragonflies and such tend to go flying across the room.
:winking-tongue

I’ve gotten some serious owies practicing middle finger flicking back locks.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Accutron wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 8:15 am
You can use your ring finger for Dragonflies and Ladybugs. It's not actually a *faster* way to deploy them, but it's fun to figure it out just to see if you can.

edit: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=90411&p=1548684&hil ... t#p1548684
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Just had to return a LBHB salt for back lock sticking up incorrectly when knife was open. This was more an annoyance than safety. Def should not have passed QC
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'd like to add precision on what I said about my new Manbug :

I don't mind the fact that the lockbar doesn't sit flush with the blade or handle. What I feared was what VooDooChild experienced. I don't like to cut myself, and I have good reasons to !
It's hard to tell on this one because I can't run the knife open and close with one scale removed. But it seems like the lockbar engages enough to avoid accidents. I don't think I can depress the lockbar by inadvertance and get the blade to shut.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I got this one last week. Perfect even 14DPS Edge Bevel and 2.5 DPS Blade Bevel measured with my laser Goniometer. Lock bar flush with the FRN and lined up with the blade.

I also recently got a K390 Wharncliffe Delica and it did seem like they had a little trouble grinding the edge bevel evenly from tip to heel. But the variance was within 3 degrees between 15-17 dps. It would be as simple as sharpening at 15dps. I plan on reprofiling to 13dps with my WE sharpener, as I have found my Police 4 and Wharncliffe Dfly K390 perform very well at that angle.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

:winking-tongue
TomAiello wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 7:34 am
If I'm going to actually use a knife, I really don't care if the grind is uneven. I just use it anyway.

For a collector, I can see how you'd want perfect grinds. It's just way down on my list of qualities for a user knife. In fact, it's not really on that list at all.
Oh yes, definitely. It’s good to get down to fresh steel too.
I’m most concerned with heat treat and they do a good job
capt.carl

Post by capt.carl »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 6:50 pm
I got this one last week. Perfect even 14DPS Edge Bevel and 2.5 DPS Blade Bevel measured with my laser Goniometer. Lock bar flush with the FRN and lined up with the blade.

I also recently got a K390 Wharncliffe Delica and it did seem like they had a little trouble grinding the edge bevel evenly from tip to heel. But the variance was within 3 degrees between 15-17 dps. It would be as simple as sharpening at 15dps. I plan on reprofiling to 13dps with my WE sharpener, as I have found my Police 4 and Wharncliffe Dfly K390 perform very well at that angle.
Good to know that im not the only one with the wharnie delica uneveness. Although mine looks to be more than 3 deg varience but I could be wrong. It’s pretty thin behind the edge which is awesome. That dfly is beautiful
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

The only catastrophic issues on Spyderco knives has been from Golden models (two had defective locks from the box---which they replaced when I sent to warranty, mind you). My Seki models have always been fine. Maybe F&F isn't incredible always but they're not extreme prices, either.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

All of my Seki's have been perfect except for my Pac Salt. That one was very disappointing out of the box.
FRNFanboy

Post by FRNFanboy »

I’ve been very lucky with the Seki City models. I’ve owned a couple dozen, and only had one that had problems I couldn’t correct with a few minutes’ adjustment. It was a Delica with blade play/lock rock. It seems like there was a time when this was a common problem for the Japanese Spydercos, but I haven’t seen it in a long time.