Spyderco be like...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blueboost

Spyderco be like...

Post by Blueboost »

Spyderco: "Tanto blades arent popular enough to put into a production knife"...

Also Spyderco:

TomAiello

Re: Spyderco be like...

Post by TomAiello »

Leaving aside popularity, what advantages do tanto blades have in your uses?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:53 am

This is easy. I used to carry a chisel ground tanto blade, and I've given it much thought. It would be cool to have one of my favorite Spyderco's with a tanto blade. And I'm talking about a tanto with straight edges, not the curved tantos that seem to be chic nowadays.

The long, back half of the blade is great for hacking big stuff. This is how I use all my knives.

The foreward section of the blade is reserved for delicate work. It's flat, so it can be used to "plane" a flat surface, like a wood chisel.

The "corner" of the blade is great for things like cutting open boxes. And the point, just like on other knives, is great for splinters, precision work, and getting stabby.

I have more thoughts on the ultimate tanto blade that I've not seen elsewhere. So when someone builds it and it becomes the most popular blade style of all time, you can tell your grandkids that you saw it here first. I think it would be GREAT to have a chisel ground tanto, where the back half is a Spydie Edge, and the front part is a plain edge. Think about it like a Combo Edge Plus, or SuperCombo. The back half would be optimized for hacking big stuff, and the front would maintain it's ability to do delicate work.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Blueboost wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:44 am
I'd like to see the source of that quote. Especially in light of the fixed and folding Lum Tantos and the PM2 Tanto. Usually Sal says something more along the lines of "We feel the tanto market is well served by other makers." How many other makers are competing with the other knives pictured?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 11:48 am
Blueboost wrote:
I'd like to see the source of that quote. Especially in light of the fixed and folding Lum Tantos and the PM2 Tanto. Usually Sal says something more along the lines of "We feel the tanto market is well served by other makers." How many other makers are competing with the other knives pictured?
See below:
sal wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 12:36 am
I think that what Ugaarguy and Cobra were both saying is accurate. Why many models and locks sell well for some companies and not others is a bit confusing. But we've had a few Tanto's in the past and they've just not endured sales wise.

"Tis a puzzlement ?

sal
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=88707&start=20
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Sal's mentioned it more than once. Thankfully, I'm not a big fan of Americanized Tantos, but I understand why some want a standard tanto model in the line up.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

ImageThis works for me from Spyderco. If I feel an itch I go elsewhere for more traditional. MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:04 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Blueboost wrote:
See below:
sal wrote:
I think that what Ugaarguy and Cobra were both saying is accurate. Why many models and locks sell well for some companies and not others is a bit confusing. But we've had a few Tanto's in the past and they've just not endured sales wise.

"Tis a puzzlement ?

sal
I don't see anything in that quote that says "they aren't popular enough to put into production". I see "we have had them in production and they didn't sell well." Pretty big difference in my opinion. YMMV.
Danke

Post by Danke »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:53 am
4000% more likes on the gram

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

It is interesting that what I think is safe to call a 'standard' blade shape in the knife world, is not a standard blade shape at Spyderco. Particularly when Wharncliffe, Sheeps foot, and hawkbill are. It's a head scratcher.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
James Y

Post by James Y »

Traditional Japanese tantos had gently curved blades and upswept tips. Unlike the straight-edged, drop-tipped, chisel-ground American tantos seen on most of the popular American tactical knives.

Jim
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I mean, they can't make people buy knives. The venn diagram of "wants a tanto" and "wants a spyderco" has historically had very small overlap. Maybe changing now these past few years but I can't imagine it's Spyderco's fault for not making what doesn't sell.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

yablanowitz wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:10 pm
JRinFL wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:
Blueboost wrote:
See below:
sal wrote:

"Tis a puzzlement ?

sal
I don't see anything in that quote that says "they aren't popular enough to put into production". I see "we have had them in production and they didn't sell well." Pretty big difference in my opinion. YMMV.
It's no big stretch to go from "we used to make them, they didn't sell" to "we won't add them as a standard production item because of past performance (popularity). You have to consider many do not have your long memories of Spyderco history, or even as long as my more limited history. At this point in Spyderco history, for new fans, the two phrases "they aren't popular enough to put into production" and "we have had them in production and they didn't sell well." are functional equivalents.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

you do realize that most of the models you posted are discontinued because they weren't popular enough to sell well. spyderco doesn't say something isn't popular enough to sell from a place of ignorance. also, tanto spydercos look weird, but not in the normal good weird spyderco way (aside from that lum).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

To the OP, the post is funny and very puzzling as to why a tanto blade shape has not been able to stick in the line up. I read it and did not question your tag line for a second, did not care, thought it was funny. So, thanks for throwing it out there, if you did not, then I would not have read this post and learned some about Spyderco and tantos. Still, take a lot to move me off drop points, leaf shapes and big bellies.

Thanks to the PHDs in Spyderhistory. I quite like the source quotes and learning the long story of any knifes' history. I did not understand the difference between a tanto and an Americanized tanto until this post.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:40 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:10 pm
JRinFL wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

See below:
sal wrote:

"Tis a puzzlement ?

sal
It's no big stretch to go from "we used to make them, they didn't sell" to "we won't add them as a standard production item because of past performance (popularity). You have to consider many do not have your long memories of Spyderco history, or even as long as my more limited history. At this point in Spyderco history, for new fans, the two phrases "they aren't popular enough to put into production" and "we have had them in production and they didn't sell well." are functional equivalents.
Definition of insanity: doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maybe I need to go buy a tanto blade and try carrying it for a while to see if it works for me.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Many years ago, I tried several different folders from other companies that featured modernized tanto blades. Chisel ground and V ground. I gave all of them a fair try. Enough to know that for myself and the way I use my knives, tanto-bladed folders do not appeal to me.

For those who do like tanto-bladed folders, more power to you.

Perhaps a bit OT, but I recall hearing a few years ago that tanto-bladed folders were no longer going to be allowed to be made in Japan, because they are associated as being weapons there. Not sure it it's true or not.

Jim
razehound

Post by razehound »

While it'd be nice for spyderco to supply tantos to all those who like them, the reality is that the production of tantos would mean decreased production of everything else... as someone who does not care for tantos, I'd prefer this reality not come to fruition. I just do not see the appeal in needing to sharpen your blade twice.

Although perhaps tantos can be helpful. Tanto blades have prevented me from purchasing so many knives that were otherwise interesting and cool, if there were no tantos, I'd probably be broke!
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
z1r

Post by z1r »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:01 pm
ImageThis works for me from Spyderco. If I feel an itch I go elsewhere for more traditional. MG2
I'm not a big folding Tanto fan but do like a fixed blade. That said, I love the looks of that model!