My worst nightmare happened to me yesterday while kayak fishing.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
dodgie02

Re: My worst nightmare happened to me yesterday while kayak fishing.

Post by dodgie02 »

Mate, I can top that. I lost my carry case containing all my spydercos, sebenzas, zt's. Decade of love, passion and joy all gone. Full row of sprint pm2's - the original grey cruwear, red dlt one, rex 45, etc etc. one of my 2 caly 3 sprints, lots of impossible to replace knives. Limited or firsts run benchmades a bunch. I suppose there was at least 10k worth of knives in there. Boom, all gone.

There's a whole tragic and quite extreme story resulting in this gut wrenching outcome but I don't feel like going into it.

I'm now left with a cruwear military and a 52100 one, one caly 3 sprint, pakkawood delica and endura and a bm 943 and 940-1.

I try to not to think about it, but it definitely killed a good part of the love for the hobby.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

dodgie02 wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 1:50 am
Mate, I can top that. I lost my carry case containing all my spydercos, sebenzas, zt's. Decade of love, passion and joy all gone...I try to not to think about it, but it definitely killed a good part of the love for the hobby.

That is terrible...God forbid, I would be done for a while. My enthusiasm feels waning as it is...

If I had to start with zero knives...I don't know, maybe a Fluted CF N5 and call it quits? Let's hope it doesn't come to that, I feel your pain just through this hypothetical, LOL!

Edit: Okay, it only took about 2 minutes after posting to realize that I would definitely buy more than one knife, but the collecting/accumulating aspect would be gone for me...
So it goes.
araneae

Post by araneae »

I'd think a Kydex sheath on a carabiner would be a secure attachment for a vest that wouldn't be cumbersome.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

Sorry you lost your knife! That does indeed hurt as they quickly become more than just another random item or tool.

Now we see why Sal added that lanyard hole and I agree with the other forum members that a float or a lanyard would do the trick. That said, I am not a boater myself mostly because I can get seasick standing next to a boat on a trailer in parking lot.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

dodgie02 wrote:
Mate, I can top that. I lost my carry case containing all my spydercos, sebenzas, zt's. Decade of love, passion and joy all gone. Full row of sprint pm2's - the original grey cruwear, red dlt one, rex 45, etc etc. one of my 2 caly 3 sprints, lots of impossible to replace knives. Limited or firsts run benchmades a bunch. I suppose there was at least 10k worth of knives in there. Boom, all gone.

There's a whole tragic and quite extreme story resulting in this gut wrenching outcome but I don't feel like going into it.

I'm now left with a cruwear military and a 52100 one, one caly 3 sprint, pakkawood delica and endura and a bm 943 and 940-1.

I try to not to think about it, but it definitely killed a good part of the love for the hobby.
That's horrible just to think about!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Napsterninja

Post by Napsterninja »

Almost lost my h1 tasman fishing. Previously snagged and was tying a new jig. My braided line caught my clip from my front pocket. Dropped the jig off the side of the boat and out and bouncing with the line it went. Good thing the knife was still in the boat and securely hooked on by the clip. When your fishing, every second your hook is not in the water, is a missed fish. Knife goes in the back or leg pocket now.
dodgie02

Post by dodgie02 »

The Meat man wrote:
dodgie02 wrote:

That's horrible just to think about!
Boy, I can't describe to you the feeling of dread and terror when I got home the next day and discovered something was missing, complete and utter disbelief.

I'm not going to go into it here, but there was a major crisis concerning family stuff so for reasons, take what's important and get going asap kind of thing.
Could hardly believe it, the first time ever the collection leaves the premises and it ended up being for good. Police were no help and basically told me to try the lost and found of the city Hall (yeah you'd think they'd take a collection of stabby tools a bit different then for example a lost stamp collection, and after that I kept checking ebay and the likes. No dice. Had to accept they weren't forming back. ****, I guess someone coming upon a collection of mostly highly sought, high quality tools row after row would think he hit the jackpot.

Man, at the very least I have hope whomever learns the value of he got there and the blades at least find their way to do some good for people. It would kill me inside if its just lying in some dirty corner somewhere in someone's garage.

Thanks you guys for empathising.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I apologize if someone has already suggested this but here’s an idea for you.
48F4B69E-B4B5-4A99-AA13-3F24697B770A.jpeg
This is a gear keeper. It’s scuba rated so it’s salt water proof and it has something like a 40 or 60 pound plastic coated steel line. The line is almost 40 inches long so you will still have full range of movement while it’s attached.

I’m sure there are other manufacturers, maybe even a fly fishing reel with ultra week retraction.

I want to be very clear if you try and use one of these on a knife you need to make sure it has extremely week (like 1 or 2 ounces retracting strength) because if it slips out of your hand it could be very dangerous. You want the knife to fall to the ground not back at you when dropped.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

huyfishin wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 9:34 pm
^^^^^
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
RexGig0

Post by RexGig0 »

I empathize with the OP. I lost my ancient Mariner, when it was not yet ancient, but still rather new, while kayaking in the Trinity River delta area, in SE Texas. This, and a few other incidents, prompted me to stop trusting pocket clips, as a means of general carry. I was giving away too many knives.