My worst nightmare happened to me yesterday while kayak fishing.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
z1r

Re: My worst nightmare happened to me yesterday while kayak fishing.

Post by z1r »

Sorry for your loss. On a bright note, I found my missing Opinel #8 this morning! It's not much but it was my first Opinel and I really just like it.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 5:30 am
I’ll see your donkey move and raise you a full jackass. :cheap-sunglasses :rofl

Sorry for the loss bro. I promise you I know that feeling all too well. I’ve left several Spydercos on the bottom of the ocean. Along with sunglasses, multiple rods and reels, jigs, pedal drives, GoPros…the list goes on. Haha.

A few years ago I started using these detachable floats. Had a disaster the other day and it saved my iPhone from a briny death.
D6AB94BC-7CEE-44EE-A05D-C400684ED334.jpeg

I keep one on my knife and one on my waterproof phone case. At the very least I’d suggest one for your phone or it will eventually be neighbors with that Spyderco. I don’t have video but I know that one from experience too. :eye-roll
Hahaha this gif actually puts a smile on my face! I actually got another native 5 salt in my pocket now so I’m feeling better!
I Play With Salt Knives / instagram huyfishin
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

z1r wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:45 am
Sorry for your loss. On a bright note, I found my missing Opinel #8 this morning! It's not much but it was my first Opinel and I really just like it.
I think my biggest fear is a big whale breaching the surface and shooting me 30 feet into the air haha
z1r

Post by z1r »

huyfishin wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 10:07 am
z1r wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 9:45 am
I think my biggest fear is a big whale breaching the surface and shooting me 30 feet into the air haha
But wouldn't that be a story to tell!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I lost a $600 Randall when kayak got overturned by a rogue wave
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Fireman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:17 pm
Fireman if I lost a Native it would be a huge bummer but if I lost one of my Randall knives, I would have a nuclear breakdown . Sad losing any knife though . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

Sad loosing any knife, yes. But really, when one can replace the knife while still in the kayak... Not really a nightmare. More like a technology driven adventure story of loss and possessions acquired again. A story of grief and supportive family to receive the hero in his time of need. A story of sharing and caring where knife community and kayak fishing community intersect.

Anyway, I feel for your loss, just differently.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 1:51 pm
Fireman wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 12:17 pm
Fireman if I lost a Native it would be a huge bummer but if I lost one of my Randall knives, I would have a nuclear breakdown . Sad losing any knife though . Dan
I felt glad to come out alive and unscathed considering the circumstances. I wish I could dive there and find the knife but it’s probably in the hands of Davey Jones.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Re: My worst nightmare happened to me yesterday while kayak fishing

Post by apollo »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue May 03, 2022 6:18 am
This one, not so much.
Bin there my friend bin there.. It sucks but when you get it out yourself you do feel Tuff :grin-smiling-eyes Nice catch in the other pic never fished at sea so the biggest one i ever caught was only a 8kg carp but if you can only fish with a fixed rod and a line of only 5meters then even that size can be a pain in the … :squinting-tongue
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

I hate it when that happens......especially when there's a frisky fish on the other end.
Last edited by skeeg11 on Wed May 04, 2022 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I'm not a fisherman. I tried, and the same thing as Surfgringo kindly shared happened to me on my second time fishing in France's rivers.

A dog jumped in the water, came back but the line got caught, and I saw the fish hook coming right to me at a pretty nice speed. I'm happy I've raised my hands to cover my face this day, only had a nice curved hole going right through my thumb !
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

huyfishin wrote:

Hahaha this gif actually puts a smile on my face! I actually got another native 5 salt in my pocket now so I’m feeling better!
Hey Huyfishin, I just found your IG feed and gave you a follow. Nice content!

Which Old Town are you using? I was talking with Adam Fisk about those the other day and he got me interested and I’ve been watching some videos and reading up. I’ve been a Hobie guy for life but it looks like Old Town is making some legit saltwater pedal drives.
huyfishin

Post by huyfishin »

Surfingringo wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:11 pm
huyfishin wrote:

Which Old Town are you using? I was talking with Adam Fisk about those the other day and he got me interested and I’ve been watching some videos and reading up. I’ve been a Hobie guy for life but it looks like Old Town is making some legit saltwater pedal drives.
Haha Adam and I are prostaff/ambassadors for OldTown Canoes so I don’t want to sound too bias.

I’m currently fishing out of an Oldtown Bigwater 132pdl it’s a pretty efficient and fast boat.

I would say Hobie was definitely pioneer of pedal driven kayaks but now since the market is so competitive with many high end brands. Everyone’s all caught up! So many boats to choose from now!!
Attachments
This is me in my bigwater 132 pdl
This is me in my bigwater 132 pdl
This one is a product shot I took of the sportsman 120 pdl
This one is a product shot I took of the sportsman 120 pdl
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

huyfishin wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 8:35 pm
Surfingringo wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 1:11 pm
huyfishin wrote:

Haha Adam and I are prostaff/ambassadors for OldTown Canoes so I don’t want to sound too bias.

I’m currently fishing out of an Oldtown Bigwater 132pdl it’s a pretty efficient and fast boat.

I would say Hobie was definitely pioneer of pedal driven kayaks but now since the market is so competitive with many high end brands. Everyone’s all caught up! So many boats to choose from now!!
Cool man. I’ve know Adam for quite a while. He’s a good guy. I was just down in Panama with him last month guest guiding a couple of trips at Los Buzos.

He was telling me that he actually prefers the Sportsman 120 over the big water as a lighter more nimble option. Being a minimalist I was looking at the Salty 120 too. Would be happy to hear your thoughts on that one too if you’ve ever used it. Maybe we could start a thread in the off topic section.
cjk

Post by cjk »

These "lanyard beads" come in both green and and yellow salt colors. :winking-tongue

In all seriousness, thanks for the thread. Previously, I would have never even considered adding flotation to my knife while on or around the water.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:14 am
These "lanyard beads" come in both green and and yellow salt colors. :winking-tongue

In all seriousness, thanks for the thread. Previously, I would have never even considered adding flotation to my knife while on or around the water.
Just make sure whatever type of float you’re using will actually float with the knife attached.
You would probably need about 20 of those little trout magnet floats if you intend on floating a knife like the Salt 2 on the surface. I think even a Ladybug Salt would need a handful of them.

Adding floatation to a knife also adds a lot of bulk and really takes away from the convenience of a pocket knife. At least that has been my experience.
-Nick :bug-red
cjk

Post by cjk »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:39 am

Just make sure whatever type of float you’re using will actually float with the knife attached.
You would probably need about 20 of those little trout magnet floats if you intend on floating a knife like the Salt 2 on the surface. I think even a Ladybug Salt would need a handful of them.

Adding floatation to a knife also adds a lot of bulk and really takes away from the convenience of a pocket knife. At least that has been my experience.
I think I'm going to experiment with this just for giggles, or science. Definitely science. I've got both the Delica and Endura sized LC200N salt knives. The bigger one is about the same weight (2.6oz) as a Native 5 salt (2.4oz).

A google search just told me there is such a thing as a floating knife. Who knew?
z1r

Post by z1r »

Back in the day, we'd make fishing knives out of the strapping bands and use cork for a handle. They were cheap, easy to make, easy to sharpen, and best of all, floated!
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

cjk wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 10:14 am
Mushroom wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 8:39 am

I think I'm going to experiment with this just for giggles, or science. Definitely science. I've got both the Delica and Endura sized LC200N salt knives. The bigger one is about the same weight (2.6oz) as a Native 5 salt (2.4oz).

A google search just told me there is such a thing as a floating knife. Who knew?
Definitely worth experimenting with. Finding a low profile float that is buoyant enough for a knife was challenging for me. The wrist lanyard that Lance linked appears to be a good option but still kind of bulky. I guess that’s the inevitable trade off.

I know Morakniv makes a fixed blade with a cork handle that floats. I’m sure it works well but I would question its long term durability.
-Nick :bug-red
BugBite84

Post by BugBite84 »

Had a similar scenario happen while cast netting for bait in a local creek, I had my manix 2 clipped to my pocket and was casting and casting and casting and finally I noticed mid flight my cast net had a manix 2 clipped onto the net my heart sunk thank goodness it stayed clipped to the net and I didn’t lose it, I never keep my knife clipped to my pocket while cast netting anymore after that lol