Corrosion Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Corrosion Reports

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:42 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 2:28 am
Heavy patina, as you can see... but not too much actual rust
:')
.. but this time you're wrong, my friend: That's a tool steel knife after Vivi carried it iwb for ten minutes... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Bloke, are you sure that isn't blood/proteins? It can be difficult to remove until it drys for a month or two or of course you could go the paste/mild abrasives way. I have seen stuff like that on weapons left in evidence drawers and then some time later it begins to flake off on it's own.

Joe
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:13 pm
It can get pretty hot, wet and muggy here. Today it’s 24degC or 75degF, it’s raining and humidity is at 93%. We live about a kilometre from the coast so the potential for metallic corrosion is fairly high.

The only times I’ve had knives corrode is through neglect. I’d never go for a swim with a knife or have one in my pocket going for a run or something so I can’t comment on that. I don’t as a rule use pocket knives for food prep or the like so can’t comment on that either.

I tune all my screwed assembly knives before use and don’t subscribe to the “open and close it 10,000 times and it will break in” mentality. I use Eezox to coat liners etc. synthetic high temperature and high pressure grease on pivots and have no issues with corrosion.

This isn’t corrosion per se but I did manage to pit my Tasman HB that I use to clean fish that I generally only wash it in saltwater. The last thing I do is scrape out the liver on either side of fish backbones and that particular time a bit of liver or a blood clot must have stuck to the blade and I obviously didn’t notice, just sloshed the knife in the surf, closed it, wrapped it and a scaler in a tea towel and chucked it in my fishing bag as always.

Weather and circumstances meant I didn’t fish in a few months and when I did have a look before I did eventually go for a fish, this is what I found.

You can see here, the bit of fish liver or blood clot or whatever it was ended up between blade and inside of scales.

Looking at it through a loupe and not great photos but you can see fairly deep pitting. :woozy

Impressive! Precious few folks can actually do that to H1!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 10:13 pm
It can get pretty hot, wet and muggy here. Today it’s 24degC or 75degF, it’s raining and humidity is at 93%. We live about a kilometre from the coast so the potential for metallic corrosion is fairly high.

The only times I’ve had knives corrode is through neglect. I’d never go for a swim with a knife or have one in my pocket going for a run or something so I can’t comment on that. I don’t as a rule use pocket knives for food prep or the like so can’t comment on that either.

I tune all my screwed assembly knives before use and don’t subscribe to the “open and close it 10,000 times and it will break in” mentality. I use Eezox to coat liners etc. synthetic high temperature and high pressure grease on pivots and have no issues with corrosion.

This isn’t corrosion per se but I did manage to pit my Tasman HB that I use to clean fish that I generally only wash it in saltwater. The last thing I do is scrape out the liver on either side of fish backbones and that particular time a bit of liver or a blood clot must have stuck to the blade and I obviously didn’t notice, just sloshed the knife in the surf, closed it, wrapped it and a scaler in a tea towel and chucked it in my fishing bag as always.

Weather and circumstances meant I didn’t fish in a few months and when I did have a look before I did eventually go for a fish, this is what I found.

You can see here, the bit of fish liver or blood clot or whatever it was ended up between blade and inside of scales.

Looking at it through a loupe and not great photos but you can see fairly deep pitting. :woozy

Wow, thanks for sharing that, Bloke. I hadn't realized that anything short of chlorine tablets could corrode H1.

Jim
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

I don't have the pictures anymore, but I was able to pit the blade of my LC200N Pacific Salt 2 when I neglected to wash off some lime juice.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Pretty much all my tool steel blades have this pattern from IWB carry

This was forced with some assorted meat juices and has changed from blueish to greenish
-Turbo
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:08 am
Bloke, are you sure that isn't blood/proteins? …
Hi Joe, I don’t rightly know what caused it and initially I was baffled till I noticed the stain on the inside of the scales which leads me to believe it could only be blood or something else organic that came from a fish.

Whatever it was mate, I think the fact that it was left for months had the most significant impact.
Woodpuppy wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:25 am
Impressive! Precious few folks can actually do that to H1!
Hi Woody, the knife has cleaned lots of fish over the years and every one is saltwater. It’s not seen a single drop of oil and I very much doubt I’ve rinsed it in freshwater more than a couple of times. Ultimately that’s the beauty of the Salt Series knives and what makes them so unique, I reckon.

All said I think it was just a one in a million thing and me being negligent. Luckily I didn’t end up with the same or worse on the actual edge and ruin the thing.

Anyhow, Gringo and Vivi reckon they can rust knives but I reckon they’ve go nothing. Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :winking-tongue
James Y wrote:
Sat Apr 30, 2022 12:41 pm
Wow, thanks for sharing that, Bloke. I hadn't realized that anything short of chlorine tablets could corrode H1.

Jim
Hi Jim, prior to this which was about four years ago or more now, I too was of the same impression. :smlling-eyes
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
vivi

Post by vivi »

Here's one for ya bloke :winking-tongue

M4 Native Chief.

Carried IWB in a new car with really good AC for 1.5 hours. Walked into the post office and a grocery store on the way home as well.

It lives a rough life.
:unicorn
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

This Z-Max was dressed well in Halpern scales when it went to work on a moose hide last fall. It was used to shave the hair off and muck off most of the fleshy bits and much of the fat. It was fast work with a sharp knife like this. In hindsight, the Z-Max would have benefited by a full undressing, a good bath and an oil up every day. I left the scales on for 1 week. Washed, dried, repeat. The blade is fine, under the scales shows some dark spots, not really pitted. I hit these spots with a green scrubby and some oil before the picture. May be a more aggressive scrub would get them off for good.
IMG_20220507_114917476zmax.jpg
IMG_20220507_115017366zclose.jpg
There is a fine balance between the increased cutting efficiency with this blade and increased maintenance time. And, Z-Max deserves the maintenance time.
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I wonder if an epoxy-ed handle can still develop rust !
For my K390 Mule, I've planned to use stabilized wood but also a G10 liner. Theorically, nothing will be able to touch the tang, no air, no water. But I wonder what I might find in 15 to 20 years when, certainly for a good reason, I'll cut the handle off :rofl
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

"Family" Spyderco kitchen knives...

Santoku MBS-26

Z-Cut BD1N
-Turbo
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Wow Turbo! I think BD1N is pretty corrosion resistant. That's impressive.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Does “family” run those through the dishwasher?
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

No dishwasher but I've seen them in the sink in the morning after sitting for a night. There's a reason I keep my knives separate from the rest ;)
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

JSumm wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:29 pm
Wow Turbo! I think BD1N is pretty corrosion resistant. That's impressive.
bbturbodad wrote: No dishwasher but I've seen them in the sink in the morning after sitting for a night. There's a reason I keep my knives separate from the rest ;)
And you (Turbo) live really close to the sea, right?

So the general climate (also in the house) might be rather "salty"? :thinking
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

bbturbodad wrote:
Sat May 07, 2022 5:51 pm
No dishwasher but I've seen them in the sink in the morning after sitting for a night. There's a reason I keep my knives separate from the rest ;)
This is the reason why we cannot have nice things (Murray Carter Itamae's ) in our kitchen. :'(
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I like to use my folders for just about anything to see how I like them. Construction projects, outdoor work, camping, etc. They get dinged up, scratched up, and banged around. They would probably make for terrible Instagram pics. However, the one thing I dare not expose them to is my family in the kitchen, and the dreaded kitchen sink. I don't know if they could withstand that kind of hard use. People talk about batoning. Please, hard use test should be done by our family in the kitchen then tossed in the kitchen sink. 🤣
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 2:03 am
And you (Turbo) live really close to the sea, right?

So the general climate (also in the house) might be rather "salty"? :thinking
We do live close to the beach but I don't have issues with other kitchen knives I maintain (just drying them off after use) in much less corrosion resistant steels like 52100 and ZDP189 so I don't think we can blame the climate, unless we consider the kitchen sink as a micro climate. :rofl
JSumm wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 5:02 am
...the one thing I dare not expose them to is my family in the kitchen, and the dreaded kitchen sink. I don't know if they could withstand that kind of hard use. People talk about batoning. Please, hard use test should be done by our family in the kitchen then tossed in the kitchen sink. 🤣
That's the difference between hard use and hard abuse lol
-Turbo
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The kitchen knife is just a tool. The minor spots of corrosion have not pitted any of my Spyderco kitchen knives and they are easily removed with Bar Keeper’s Friend. People get wrapped around the axle over things, IMO. They are not priceless Samurai swords. Their value is in the work performed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

For as many "user" Spyderco knives that I have with VG-10 I can't complain at all with the corrosion resistance of that mainline blade steel on many great Spyderco models.

Few people here today remember that the first phase of Spyderco CATCHERMAN models were made AUS-8. And again I've always found AUS-8 to be great for overall corrosion resistance. I put AUS-8 right up there with X-15 TN which is a blade steel that several companies used to brag about almost 20 years back>> I'll put up AUS-8 against X-15 TN any day of the week.

Sure the nitrogen based steels do lead the pack for corrosion resistance but VG-10, AUS-8 and ATS-55 are just fine for work in harsh environments IMO.