Corrosion Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Scandi Grind

Re: Corrosion Reports

Post by Scandi Grind »

Is packing tape something you have used to prevent corrosion before? I am curious if that would work. I wouldn't have thought to try packing tape.
"A knifeless man is a lifeless man."

-- Old Norse proverb
nightoil

Post by nightoil »

Scandi Grind wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 3:39 pm
Is packing tape something you have used to prevent corrosion before? I am curious if that would work. I wouldn't have thought to try packing tape.

No. Just occurred to me today. I definitely think it might be worth a try. I imagine the important thing will be to make sure the edges are well sealed down - not to let water seep under. And the other thing is to use only transparent packing tape - so that any ongoing corrosion remains visible. I think I will give it a try - and report back.

If it doesn't work, the tape can easily be got off with adhesive remover or IPA.

Something I was going to add to that post was that I often use worn-out fine wet & dry to remove light corrosion. You can't buy it - you just have to save some after you've worn it out. Can come in very useful. Makes for an extremely fine abrasive. Leaves surfaces almost polished, depending on how hard you press. (Haven't heard of anyone else doing it.)

Edit: You definitely wouldn't want to use this method on visible metal surfaces - it would just leave an unsightly bald patch in the existing texture.

But, on e.g. the tang of K390 knives, it has enough bite to smooth down the running surfaces around the pivot and on the back lock lug's sliding face, markedly improving dropshuttiness.
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

I had a VG-10 Endela I wore into the ocean. When I got back to the rental I ran it under water to flush out all the sand and saltwater. It got a small spot if rust on one side of the blade. I rubbed it with oil and seemed to be surface, but it would continuously re corrode in that exact spot from normal pocket time.

I completely disassembled it several months later and discovered there was absolutely no corrosion on any other metal part.

I have a 20cv Endura now. Curious about its corrosion resistance.
TazKristi

Post by TazKristi »

varossdg wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:25 pm
I had a VG-10 Endela I wore into the ocean. When I got back to the rental I ran it under water to flush out all the sand and saltwater. It got a small spot if rust on one side of the blade. I rubbed it with oil and seemed to be surface, but it would continuously re corrode in that exact spot from normal pocket time.

I completely disassembled it several months later and discovered there was absolutely no corrosion on any other metal part.

I have a 20cv Endura now. Curious about its corrosion resistance.
Hi, varossdg:
Welcome to our forum! We hope you enjoy your time with us.

Kristi
There is nothing more important than this one day.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Larrin Thomas is a member of this forum and has an incredible amount of resources you can find on his website Knife Steel Nerds.

https://knifesteelnerds.com/2019/10/14/ ... e-testing/

Crucible's 20CV and the equivalents Bohler M390 and Carpenter 204P are very stainless and corrosion resistant steels. At least in the knife steels regularly offered to us users. If you want something more corrosion resistant, you would want to go to the salt lineup.

I think you are in good shape with the 20CV Endura. I will say though, I have had some corrosion on the liners of my 20CV Endela. I think the 20CV blade may be more corrosion resistant than the stainless steel liners. Or it may just have to do with the liners being skelonitized and trapping moisture.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Sep 06, 2022 8:35 am
Larrin Thomas is a member of this forum and has an incredible amount of resources you can find on his website Knife Steel Nerds.

Crucible's 20CV and the equivalents Bohler M390 and Carpenter 204P are very stainless and corrosion resistant steels. At least in the knife steels regularly offered to us users. If you want something more corrosion resistant, you would want to go to the salt lineup.

I think you are in good shape with the 20CV Endura. I will say though, I have had some corrosion on the liners of my 20CV Endela. I think the 20CV blade may be more corrosion resistant than the stainless steel liners. Or it may just have to do with the liners being skelonitized and trapping moisture.
Thank you. I have heard about liner corrosion, but have not experienced it yet. Just thinking out loud...Endura liners are less skeletonized then Endela liners. Granted, you said you had corrosion with the Endela, I have heard others talk about corrosion with the Endura more so. Wonder if there is a correlation?

I have since acquired a Salt 2 that I pocket around also. I must say...I do appreciate the extra rigidity of the liners. The Salt 2 is so dang light though. Mixed emotions😆
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

varossdg wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:53 am
JSumm wrote:

Thank you. I have heard about liner corrosion, but have not experienced it yet. Just thinking out loud...Endura liners are less skeletonized then Endela liners. Granted, you said you had corrosion with the Endela, I have heard others talk about corrosion with the Endura more so. Wonder if there is a correlation?

I have since acquired a Salt 2 that I pocket around also. I must say...I do appreciate the extra rigidity of the liners. The Salt 2 is so dang light though. Mixed emotions😆
I think the extra skelonitization may allow more moisture to get trapped. Lose weight, but more areas for trapping that moisture. Of course, depends on what and where you are using it and probably isn't an issue for the vast majority.

I use my Pac Salt now when around or doing something where I know there will be a lot of moisture. And I agree, I enjoy the extreme lightness, but day to day I would prefer the extra weight in the handle with the liners. That's why we like variety.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
varossdg

Post by varossdg »

JSumm wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:01 am
varossdg wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 4:53 am
JSumm wrote:

I think the extra skelonitization may allow more moisture to get trapped. Lose weight, but more areas for trapping that moisture. Of course, depends on what and where you are using it and probably isn't an issue for the vast majority.

I use my Pac Salt now when around or doing something where I know there will be a lot of moisture. And I agree, I enjoy the extreme lightness, but day to day I would prefer the extra weight in the handle with the liners. That's why we like variety.
Indeed. The one knife for life theory is out the window.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I just got my first Pac Salt. What a beast! The handle feels plenty substantial with good rigidity. I kinda wish the Endura family could be had in linerless build too.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

K390 is holding up better than my new Topeak Mini 9 riding in the same pocket while biking!

EDIT for context: The K390 Delica has lived in my mountain biking shorts for at least one season longer than the Mini 9, which I just got 5 months ago. They both ride loose in the same RFP.
Last edited by abbazaba on Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

K390 endura spyderedge. Southeast USA

one work day of carry is enough to cause spots and even rust. Oil or chapstick is not enough protection to last a day.

I ended up giving The blade a light polish and it made a HUGE difference. The factory finish is way too coarse for a tool steel like this. Even a minimal amount of polishing would boost corrosion resistance 100%. Spyderco really needs to consider doing this if they're going to continue using K390.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I agree about the polish, and the stonewash finish on the Maxamet PM2/Manix2 made for a much better impression than the very coarse belt finish on G10 Police4.
miohin

Post by miohin »

K390 Manbug:

Carry: 5th pocket/key ring since Dec '21 (all times/conditions)
Climate: Cold, wet winters & Hot, muggy summers
Protection: mineral oil or Vaseline every few months
Use: assorted light edc tasks, food

Overall very impressed so far with corrosion resistance with so little care.

Also a slight corrosion spot in round hole.
Light Grey Blade patina.
Lurker
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Well, that coating you've been giving your Manbug is certainly making a difference!

This Ladybug in K390 has been in my pocket everyday since it was released (April 2020). I have not given it any special coating or treatment, just regular cleanings and touch ups. This is after a Flitz polish using a dremel felt drum. Sandpaper would probably be the next move if I cared to make it look better:

FWIW I used to prefer the Manbug, but after getting used to the Ladybug as a secondary knife it's hard to go back. If it were my only knife, I might pick a Manbug because it's slightly easier for my XL hands to manipulate, and the slightly more robust blade, but the smaller and pointer Ladybug has been an excellent drop-in-pocket knife.
Vaugith

Post by Vaugith »

During regular carry of my M4 shaman I experienced a significant amount of surface rust forming each day, despite applying my usual eezox which normally protects quite well for a week or more.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that changing the finish/polish level has a significant impact on corrosion resistance. One day when I had my knife dissasbled I decided to just go ahead and grind the flats on a muddy 1k water stone to polish it a little and see if it had much of an effect. Came out with a nice hazy "kasumi" type finish. I know the polish is ugly. This was never intended as a permanent finish, just a test. Sure enough though, corrosion is significantly reduced!

This was after several days of sweat heavy carry. I'd call it a clear improvement, although spotting still formed near the spider. Looks like it's worth putting time in to try a higher level of polish. On to the next experiment!
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Brotherscinc0 wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:33 pm
K390 endura spyderedge. Southeast USA

one work day of carry is enough to cause spots and even rust. Oil or chapstick is not enough protection to last a day.

I ended up giving The blade a light polish and it made a HUGE difference. The factory finish is way too coarse for a tool steel like this. Even a minimal amount of polishing would boost corrosion resistance 100%. Spyderco really needs to consider doing this if they're going to continue using K390.
For this exact reason I mirror polished my two ZDP Spydercos. This really helps prevent corrosion by eliminating rust nucleation sites.
Brotherscinc0

Post by Brotherscinc0 »

Vaugith wrote:
Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:42 pm
During regular carry of my M4 shaman I experienced a significant amount of surface rust forming each day, despite applying my usual eezox which normally protects quite well for a week or more.

It was mentioned earlier in this thread that changing the finish/polish level has a significant impact on corrosion resistance. One day when I had my knife dissasbled I decided to just go ahead and grind the flats on a muddy 1k water stone to polish it a little and see if it had much of an effect. Came out with a nice hazy "kasumi" type finish. I know the polish is ugly. This was never intended as a permanent finish, just a test. Sure enough though, corrosion is significantly reduced!

This was after several days of sweat heavy carry. I'd call it a clear improvement, although spotting still formed near the spider. Looks like it's worth putting time in to try a higher level of polish. On to the next experiment!
Nice! The "polish" on my k390 is very ugly but it beats getting rusty every day
vivi

Post by vivi »

Polishing makes a big difference. I used to do that to bead blasted folders before I got smart enough to avoid buying them in the first place.
:unicorn
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Been using my native 5 in SPY27 all summer for fishing. Regularly it spends all day wet or submerged in freshwater. I rinse it out when I get home and lay it out half open over night to dry. So far I have not had rust of any kind.

I spent yesterday in Florida fishing on the flats and used my knife to cut bait. After cutting bait I rinsed it off in the ocean water and put it back in my pocket. After spending all day with salt water and shrimp juice on it I rinsed it out and left it half open over night. Happy to report there is no rust or spotting of any kind.
SpyderGrill

Post by SpyderGrill »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sat Oct 15, 2022 9:50 pm
Been using my native 5 in SPY27 all summer for fishing. Regularly it spends all day wet or submerged in freshwater. I rinse it out when I get home and lay it out half open over night to dry. So far I have not had rust of any kind.

I spent yesterday in Florida fishing on the flats and used my knife to cut bait. After cutting bait I rinsed it off in the ocean water and put it back in my pocket. After spending all day with salt water and shrimp juice on it I rinsed it out and left it half open over night. Happy to report there is no rust or spotting of any kind.
Good to hear! I just ordered my first Spy27, steel rusts in SWFL