Corrosion Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bemo

Re: Corrosion Reports

Post by Bemo »

Thanks Ranger Ike, I think SPY27doesn't get the respect it deserves.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

abbazaba wrote:
Fri Sep 16, 2022 9:26 am
Well, that coating you've been giving your Manbug is certainly making a difference!

This Ladybug in K390 has been in my pocket everyday since it was released (April 2020). I have not given it any special coating or treatment, just regular cleanings and touch ups. This is after a Flitz polish using a dremel felt drum. Sandpaper would probably be the next move if I cared to make it look better:

FWIW I used to prefer the Manbug, but after getting used to the Ladybug as a secondary knife it's hard to go back. If it were my only knife, I might pick a Manbug because it's slightly easier for my XL hands to manipulate, and the slightly more robust blade, but the smaller and pointer Ladybug has been an excellent drop-in-pocket knife.
Wow, that is quite a bit of corrosion if this is after the polish!

I am waiting for the Manbug Wharncliffe K390...
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

Hello Sal and team :) I recently gave an enuff2 h1 to my partner since he has become a scuba diver and wanted him to carry a good knife! This seemed perfect to me because of the size, shape, steel and spyderedge!
It fits perfectly in your hand, the frn gives a great grip and the yellow color gives peace of mind in case it slips out of the case. In this way she could see the quality of the products she bought, 90% of my knives are from spydreco and thus be able to justify this hobby a little.
After 1 hour under the water and its subsequent rinsing with fresh water, when checking it we saw that it was sweating rust under the scales. We cleaned what we could but on the next dive, coming out of the water it had rust again and it seems that under the brake it has a considerable amount of rust.
I am surprised as it has not happened to me in any of my other Salt knives, the others are folding knives, pacific salt2 h1 SE and salt2 PE and SE in LC200N. The salt2h1 has seen more than 2 years of salt water practically every day and has not a trace of rust! Any suggestion?

Thanks in advance!

dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

First guess would be a surface contaminant between the tang and scales -- possibly from a grinding belt. My general understanding is that rust begets rust. Not sure if H1 is immune to this. Have you tried removing the scales? I'd use flitz polish to polish away an potential contaminant from the tang and screws, clean the scales, and then see if that stops the rust. If the rust persists, spyderco may request you mail the piece to Golden, CO. Good luck
ZetaH

Post by ZetaH »

dlum1 wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 11:43 am
First guess would be a surface contaminant between the tang and scales -- possibly from a grinding belt. My general understanding is that rust begets rust. Not sure if H1 is immune to this. Have you tried removing the scales? I'd use flitz polish to polish away an potential contaminant from the tang and screws, clean the scales, and then see if that stops the rust. If the rust persists, spyderco may request you mail the piece to Golden, CO. Good luck
If I remove the scales, does it affect the warranty?
Thanks for the idea!
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

ZetaH wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:51 pm
If I remove the scales, does it affect the warranty?
Thanks for the idea!
That's a good question; I'll have to let someone else chime in here. I doubt it, but spyderco may have a black and white warranty policy about hardware removal. I'm glad you asked before proceeding, because I clearly would have jumped in head first.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

VG10 corrosion from sweaty pocket.
Decided not to try to clean off the rust and see how bad it gets.

ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:21 pm

thank you for posting this. every time i ask for a salt version of something, people say vg10 is already stainless enough. it's mostly fine, but it's not a steel i want to carry in my waistband.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's different for all of us. I haven't had an issue with VG-10, but then again I've been more careful with it, and I like the peace of mind from H1.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:29 pm
PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:21 pm
thank you for posting this. every time i ask for a salt version of something, people say vg10 is already stainless enough. it's mostly fine, but it's not a steel i want to carry in my waistband.

I definitely agree. Though it could be a difference in blade surface finishes (my Wharny Endura was soaked in sulfuric acid for a gray color), my SPY27 Manix has shown no corrosion with the same carry circumstances. Certainly not scientific, but it's been my experience so far.

cabfrank wrote: ... I like the peace of mind from H1.

I'll second that, and include all the salt-rated steels, especially for a blade I'm going to carry literally everyday. But, we all have different lives and use our knives differently.
Last edited by PeaceInOurTime on Wed Nov 30, 2022 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The ease of sharpening is a bonus too.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's not just the blade steel either, it's also the internals. Salts are do everything knives, and virtually maintenance free. How can you not love that?
vivi

Post by vivi »

I've said it before but if I carried a standard vg10 endura it'd require more time maintaining compared to a Pacific Salt in H1. Sure I may sharpen it less, but when you add in the time spent cleaning corrosion off the blade and internals, H1 wins for me.
:unicorn
James Y

Post by James Y »

cabfrank wrote:
Wed Nov 30, 2022 8:23 pm
It's not just the blade steel either, it's also the internals. Salts are do everything knives, and virtually maintenance free. How can you not love that?

^This.^

With linered knives, I'm always far more concerned about the liners and other hardware than the blade itself.

Some people say you don't need a Salt unless you're going into the ocean (or water in general) with it. I say there is definitely appeal for a knife that requires virtually no anti-corrosion maintenance, whether you live near the water or not.

Jim
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Yep. I have no concern about my Salts. Others, even if I haven't had issues, make me think twice sometimes.
Super Dave

Post by Super Dave »

Wow, I'm glad my last few knives have been with the LC200N steel.
Dave
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Ok folks, I'm in need of some advice.

I carried my K390 PM2 for about two years before developing any kind of corrosion. I think I "put it away wet" one day, likely covered in tape residue/adhesive, and came back to it about a month later. When I cleaned the residue off, I found this dark spotting on the blade.

I've tried rubbing the blade down with Flitz + a rag, to no avail. I supposed the next step might be fine steel wool, but I worry about ruining the finish on the blade.

Can I get some advice about what my next steps should be to stem the tide? Ideally, I get rid of the spots entirely, but if I can't reasonably do that I'd just like to make sure that I'm not going to lose one of my favorite knives here.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I say let her ride.

I think K390 builds a beautiful patina.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:40 pm
I say let her ride.
I'm not 100% opposed to this. I guess my question is: will this turn into destructive corrosion, or is it just that - patina?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:43 pm
JSumm wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 12:40 pm
I say let her ride.
I'm not 100% opposed to this. I guess my question is: will this turn into destructive corrosion, or is it just that - patina?
Looks like just a patina. Most likely safe if it is not red or orange. I have found K390 to patina quickly, but not develop rust easily. On the flip side, I have seen orange spotting on ZDP-189, but no patina.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005