Corrosion Reports

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
jwbnyc

Re: Corrosion Reports

Post by jwbnyc »

That’s the thing I’ve been thinking on lately.

These new steels skew perceptions of what is and isn’t corrosion resistant. VG-10, AUS-8, and others are still very corrosion resistant.

The same goes for other steel characteristics. There are just more options available that do a better job in one particular aspect.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Been carrying my satin M4 chief lately despite the summer weather.

Some spotting near the pivot, orange rust on the thumb ramp and near the spider logo, and some mild patina.

Doing better than I expected for being carried IWB in 90F+.
:unicorn
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Matriarch 2 VG-10, after two 2-hour sessions clearing wedelia groundcover and cutting down banana trees; 85ºF, 85% relative humidity. I laid the knife in the dirt between series of cuts, and allowed it to become dry (or stay wet) between series, depending on what I was doing in the meantime. If I pocketed the knife, I wiped it on my pants before closing it. After each gardening session I rinsed the blade and internals, wiped the blade dry, and returned the knife to the closet.

Here is a VG-10 blade from an A.T.R. that I abused in the same manner for more than a decade, and recently retired because I felt the Matriarch would be a better gardening knife (it is). I purchased the A.T.R. in 2010, and essentially used it only for gardening, until I got the Matriarch a month ago. Moderate polish versus satin, maybe?

If you're wondering why I used an A.T.R. for gardening, it's because I detested carrying the knife due to the clip. It worked fine though, and I never ejected the knife crawling around in the yard.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

abbazaba wrote:
Wed Apr 27, 2022 9:22 pm
As an experiment, my S110v Manix LW has been my swim shorts knife for years of yard work followed by soaking in the pool, and despite straight up abuse the blade looks great. I think this was the 4th year in a row it's lived in my swim shorts all summer, remaining wet for hours/days in the shorts pocket hung up after swimming. We own a pool and a hot tub so its fully submerged and left wet almost every day during the summer. The spring and ball are fine (btw), but the backspacer is covered in surface rust. I hope Magnacut will do as well or better because S110v isn't my favorite edge, but its been better than LC200n and H1 in this specific situation for me. Still hoping for that Manix2 LW Salt!

Pics of S110v after 4 years of swimming in the pool/hot tub, left in wet shorts after:

After 30-60 seconds of fingernail/thumb rub:

Inside was a little more difficult, so I used a flat head to get in there, again only 30-60 second attempt:
Before:
After:

FWIW, my 15dps reprofile held up as well as rest of the blade, with minor touch ups through out. S110v loses it's fine edge pretty quickly IME, but it does continue to cut for a long time... I just prefer a tool steel type edge (M4, K390). Hoping Magnacut lives up to the hype!
That’s amazing! Thanks for sharing.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
vivi

Post by vivi »

zcut still holding strong after being covered in salt and blood five days a week.

vivi

Post by vivi »

vg10 stretch xl after being EDC'd for a warm week in May.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Well....my lady just rusted her VTOKU 2 Dragonfly pretty bad. She even managed to rust the stainless steel cladding. The other day it was sitting open on our breakfast bar and I mentioned that she left it there...open. She said she did it because she got some gunk on the blade and she needs me to clean it again. The "gunk" was rust haha. The entire area that wasn't cladded was solid rust and quite a bit on the SS cladding. I was a little leery about giving her a steel like VTOKU but I figured what the heck. It cleaned up pretty well with some work. There's no pitting thankfully. All I can guess is she cut something wet and didn't wipe it off before putting it away. I think she thought I was mad because she knows it's a sprint run. Heck I'm not mad. I'm really happy she uses her knives so much. She's been caring for her mom for a few days each week and before she left this time she asked for her knife back. I told I still needed to sharpen it and offered a loaner. She said never mind she'll use her Ladybug :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
warriorsociologist

Post by warriorsociologist »

stretch2_patina.jpg
- Chris (a.k.a. "rigormootis" on some other forums)
*Current Top 3: Stretch 2 K390, Native V M4/PE, Pacific Salt (1st Gen) H1/PE...
*Wishing for: "Salty" Stretch 2 (Magnacut) & a Catcherman (LC200N)
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I cut some English Ivy a couple of weeks ago and apparently did not clean it off well enough. This is corrosion that remains that I cannot rub off with my thumb. S30V.
S30V Corrosion.jpg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my son managed to get some light spotting on his vg10 delica. i was really surprised because he doesn't sweat a lot and he doesn't take it in the water or anything. the spotting is mostly around the spydie hole and on both sides of the blade. this picture shows what's left after i tried cleaning with oil and then with frog lube paste and a brush. would flitz take care of this where frog lube has failed?
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I got a few spots on my Nirvana's blade in my display case. Nearly got a heartattack. Was so happy hen they came off without any marks. Now i clean it ever week with marine tuff cloth. :grin-big eyes
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

apollo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:58 am
I got a few spots on my Nirvana's blade in my display case. Nearly got a heartattack. Was so happy hen they came off without any marks. Now i clean it ever week with marine tuff cloth. :grin-big eyes
Finally I've found another Forum Member who uses "TUF CLOTH" and you are so right about the "Marine Grade TUF CLOTH being even better yet. The only doubt I have about TUF CLOTH is that I'm not 100% sure that it's "Food Safe". But I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it in that regard.

I've had great luck with all of the products made by Sentry Solutions. But it seems like fewer and fewer people talk about them much anymore. It also seems like FLITZ polish leaves a film that is corrosion resistant as well. And FLITZ has a metal wax that works great for corrosion resistance.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:32 pm
apollo wrote:
Finally I've found another Forum Member who uses "TUF CLOTH" and you are so right about the "Marine Grade TUF CLOTH being even better yet. The only doubt I have about TUF CLOTH is that I'm not 100% sure that it's "Food Safe". But I've never heard anyone say anything bad about it in that regard.

I've had great luck with all of the products made by Sentry Solutions. But it seems like fewer and fewer people talk about them much anymore. It also seems like FLITZ polish leaves a film that is corrosion resistant as well. And FLITZ has a metal wax that works great for corrosion resistance.
i have used a tuf-glide cloth on my guns to wipe them down occasionally, especially after just handling them without shooting them. i've never thought to use one on knives. i like the frog lube, but i'm having trouble getting these little spots to go away, which is why i was thinking about picking up some flitz. frog lube is supposed to be a cleaner too though, so i just put a coat on the blade and i'm going to let it sit a while before trying again. i'll let you all know if it does anything different.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:32 pm
apollo wrote:

I have bin using it for years now. And i am extremely happy with it. But you are correct about the foodprep part i do not use it on my edc knives only on my collection knives ( i also use those but more lightly and never on food products ) because it seems like something rather not want in my body. :squinting-tongue
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Flitz is what I use to deal with minor staining to actual corrosion. Then wipe it down with denatured alcohol and oil it if needed.
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Takuan

Post by Takuan »

It is interesting to see rust on the liners and locks of some of these knives, especially when there is not much on the blades. Are the steel liners and lock bar on standard Spyderco lockbacks (e.g., the Delica or Endura) made of 420J steel or something else? What about the steel parts for the ball bearing lock on the Manix? I know that there was a discussion about the liners here previously, but I don’t believe a definitive answer was given: https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=88847. When I lived in Hawaii, before the Salt line was released, I used to use an ATS-55 Endura as my water knife (chlorinated pools and oceans). I treated the blade and lock bar/spring with Corrosion Block and washed/dried it carefully after getting out of the water, and I never had any significant rust problems.
"We cannot live better than in seeking to become better."
--Socrates
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

After sweating and having this in my pocket all day working on replacing some outdoor steps, I took my K390 Endura down. It was covered in sweat for hours. I took it down because it was very gritty when opening and closing. I have not cleaned this one yet. There were some red spots by the pivot that I just wiped down. This is all that was left.

I have a Caly in ZDP-189. Next time it develops rust, I'll take a picture. Last time it was left in my truck overnight while raining. Developed a line of rust at the edge. Maybe left over dust from sharpening.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I use Tuf Glide on wipe downs , also use Simichrome and Metalglo on blades letting them sit for a couple hours before wiping off . I don’t IWB and do my best to follow weather patterns , but sometimes one still has to deal with humidity and sweat one might not notice . Of course there are also days where you just have to say to yourself it’s going in pocket I don’t care if we have a tornado ! :) Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

`
MagnaCut Mule after 6 months in the kitchen. Rinsed and towel-dried after each use, which was maybe once a week. No dishwasher. No corrosion preventative under its G-10 scales, but there will be from now on!

JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Rut row.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005