In Loving Memory - Jurphaas van Rietschoten

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearrowland

Re: In Loving Memory - Jurphaas van Rietschoten

Post by bearrowland »

RIP Jur. I never had the pleasure of meeting you, but we shared a passion and the honor of knowing some of the greatest people out there, Spyderco fans.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

My condolences to his many friends and family.
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

Truely sorry to hear of his passing and offer my deepest condoleances and wishes to those who knew him.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
on_the_edge

Post by on_the_edge »

My heartfelt condolences go out to all who had the privilege to meet or know him. May he rest in peace.
Eli Chaps

Post by Eli Chaps »

All my best to his family and friends. One day at a time.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

I did not know Jur, but will add my condolences to his family, including his Spyderco family.
dialex

Post by dialex »

Farewell my friend. It has been an honour. :-||
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Well, it brings me great sadness to find out Jurphass passed away, I had only just met him at ShotShow 2022.

He was a very deep, compassionate and friendly person with a very warm and optimistic personality.
We became fast friends.

I didn't realize it was going to be the last time I was ever going to see him :(

When there was downtime at the show we talked about life and what it was like growing up and his time in the military and family.

He gave me some advice on how he liked to use the Spyderco sharpmaker, I may be a decent sharpener but I wasn't going to turn down anything he had to offer since he had been using the sharpmaker for a very, very long time. His biggest emphasis was going slow and controlled and getting all the way from tip to heel, sometimes, it all comes down to the basics.

Goodbye Jur, thank you for the honor of meeting you.

Gone, but never forgotten.

Some pictures after the last day of the show before packing up.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sincere condolences to family and friends.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Gerard Breuker

Post by Gerard Breuker »

A truly wonderful man has passed away. Leaving a lot of happy memories to all who knew him. RIP Jurphaas.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Deepest condolences to all of his family friends.

Jim
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

My deepest condolences to his family and all who was close to him.
I only spoke to him once in the two times i went to the amsterdam meet almost 6 years ago.
But he was real friendly and kind person. And he trouly was devoted to spyderco.
Rest in peace Jurphaas.
MIDWESTKNIFETRADER

Post by MIDWESTKNIFETRADER »

My deepest condolences for the loved ones of Jurphaas and may the Peace warmly settle within and guide you.
Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people.

John Adams
sal

Post by sal »

Rest in Peace my friend.

sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Cyberwolf,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
z1r

Post by z1r »

My condolences to his family and friends, including those on the Spyderco forum.
Joyce Laituri

Post by Joyce Laituri »

Jur was a special and unique human being. Just hanging around him made you feel happy and light. Rest in peace my dear friend, Don't ever forget, if you called him "Sir" he would correct you and say "Don't Sir me, Jur me."
z1r

Post by z1r »

Joyce Laituri wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 9:39 am
Jur was a special and unique human being. Just hanging around him made you feel happy and light. Rest in peace my dear friend, Don't ever forget, if you called him "Sir" he would correct you and say "Don't Sir me, Jur me."
That sounds like someone worth knowing!!!!
Martien

Post by Martien »

Der Spyderco Friends, I am Martien van Rietschoten, Jur’s twin brother!
As you all have read the Spyderco announcement about Jur’s passing now already two weeks ago I would like to take the opportunity tho thank all of you who took the time to write to him!
I am very sad that my brother chose to leave this world but I am proud of him!
My older brother was my friend even if we lost lost contact in the last few years! There was a mental decease that made him very afraid of the future and some personal issues that troubled his mind. Why he could not find me in this toubled state of mind I will never know but I love him dearly!
Jur rest in peace! Martien
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Martien,

Thanx much for sharing your thoughts and feelings, and welcome to our forum. Jur was a very special person in our lives for decades and he will be greatly missed. We spent countless hours together all over the the US and Europe and I will never forget him. As one gets older (like me), one thinks much of the past, friends, activities and history which one uses to "measure? one's life.

"Talkin' Story",

Back in the early 90's, we received a telephone call from a customer in Arizona. The call went to our Sales Manager. She couldn't answer the question, so she forwarded the call to me. Turns out the customer was part of the Dutch Air Force, stationed in Arizona. He had just purchased a Bob Terzuola C15 and and he had some questions regarding the model that only I could answer. That guy was Jur.

We had a long enjoyable conversation and that was the birth of a long friendship. Spyderco employed Jur while he was on vacation from the Air Force, to work at the IWA show in Nurnberg as our translator.

After he retired from the Air Force, he became our European representative. He came into the US for Shows, worked shows in Europe, visited customers, and in all was the European face of Spyderco for decades. He will surely be missed.

We enjoyed time with Jur, and his lovely wife Gaby, for many hours, and many years. I have picture of Gaby on my file cabinet, and I will add Jur's as well. Gail felt Gaby was a "sister".

Through Jur, we met great people like Wouter and many others that have been instrumental in the presence of Spyderco throughout Europe. (Just saw Wouter at Spyderco in Golden. He and his family were vacationing in the US and visited the office).

Where ever he went, Jur was liked. A great "face" for Spyderco world wide.

sal

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We are all here for a very short time. "Each of us is born with a little bag of time, that has a hole in the bottom. Time is always spilling out, but one day, one looks into the bag and it is empty". It is critical that we pay attention to each other in the living years. "Appreciate each moment of the Life-Time that we get and strive always to think Happy Thoughts".