In Loving Memory - Jurphaas van Rietschoten

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Blerv

Re: In Loving Memory - Jurphaas van Rietschoten

Post by Blerv »

Very sad to hear. I never met him but his loss will be felt by the community. Luckily his contributions will remain in the legend and lore of the company forever.
Martien

Post by Martien »

Sal, thank you for your kind words for Jur and the story about how you met each other! Of course we also met several times in Golden and in Amsterdam and I know from first hand what a dear fiends Gail and you were to Jur. Thanks for your friendship, give words when you are visiting Amsterdam again so we can meet! Love Martien👍🤓
Spyderfookus

Post by Spyderfookus »

Deepest condolences to Martien and all of his family and friends.
Me and my wife happen to live in the same town and street as Jur (and Gabi). Of course we became Spyderco lovers and were taught ‘how to sharpen properly’. I developed a taste for the ‘specials like Ed Schempp and Brad Southard’. But he replied to that: ‘I like the original Spydercos most! Like the Dragonfly or Delica!’ His enthusiasm - about knives, watches, traveling and good food - was contagious.
As Martien explained it is really sad that his last years were so hard for him. We will miss him dearly. R.I.P. dear Jur!
Marcel en Nicolette
Ed Schempp (Barong, Bowie, Persian C83 and 75mm), Techno-1; Brad Southard Flipper (brown & black and Tolk Flipper), PITS; Dice and Domino, Ikuchi; Caly3.5 VG10; Chapparal; Dragonfly, PM2 M4 Mantra M4; Manix XL M4, Gayle Bradley 2 M4, Benchmade Super Freek M4, Chris Reeve small sebenza 31 and Mnandi and Spuyderco Sharpmaker and Worksharp (Precision Adjust, Guided Field, Wedstone)