Blade HQ Jade/M4 Dodo SE coming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: Blade HQ Jade/M4 Dodo SE coming

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Nice work Turbo 👍
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bbturbodad wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:26 pm
For those that picked up one of these, I highly recommend giving the SE Dodo a reprofile. The cutting performance is a night and day comparison. Out of the box my reprofiled PE was cutting circles around the factory SE which seemed to be a touch over 20 degrees.

Front side was taken down with a CBN rod and then finished with a few minutes on the fine rod. For the back side I just used the brown rod after the blade was apexed and then stropped with 1 micron CBN compound on basswood.

That looks great. I'm a bit jealous of this, I really would love to play with SE M4 but this wasn't the model for me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Evil D wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 am
That looks great. I'm a bit jealous of this, I really would love to play with SE M4 but this wasn't the model for me.
It's an odd bird for sure, but the ergos from the big handle and blade shape make cutting up boxes so much fun :cheap-sunglasses

-Turbo
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 2:50 pm
Evil D wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 11:06 am
It's an odd bird for sure, but the ergos from the big handle and blade shape make cutting up boxes so much fun :cheap-sunglasses

This is pretty much what I'm going for with that Dfly in the other thread. You do such great work on your SE knives! All knives in general actually, but there's only a handful around here that show great work on SE knives.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

I've been checking the BHQ site every few weeks since this was released and for the first time today it's listed out of stock. Interesting, took about 5-6 months to sell out this run. Wonder what the future holds for this variant, I think Dodo-demand is always in flux but we seemed to be in a low period for interest this go around. Steel/handle material were contributors as well.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

spoonrobot wrote:
Sat Oct 08, 2022 10:22 am
Steel/handle material were contributors as well.
I bought both the PE and SE versions being a big fan of the Dodo and reverse "S" blades in general, but I will say M4 steel and Jade scales would not have been high on the list of options I would have chosen if I could pick from the choice of options Spyderco offers. That said I'm glad BHQ commissioned these runs.
-Turbo