Blade HQ Jade/M4 Dodo SE coming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wandering_About

Re: Blade HQ Jade/M4 Dodo SE coming

Post by Wandering_About »

I'll be trying to get one of these. Have wanted a Dodo for a long time, and this one sure works for me. Serrations just seem right on the Dodo.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:23 pm
Half Sack wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:39 pm
And they're gone...

Havent been released yet. No drop date yet.
My bad I looked up the plain Edge. I'll keep my eyes on this one. I'd love a se dodo
Danke

Post by Danke »

Just when I thought I was out; they pull me back in.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

I love everything about my PE M4 Dodo.... except the 'Un'-caged lock. Which makes the knife a two handed closer.

If this was a Caged Ball Bearing lock I'd be buying the SE version. I campaigned very hard to have the Dodo brought out of retirement, and I'm glad I got one, it's a very cool knife. But in getting and using it a lot, I found it desperately needs a CQI and a Caged Ball Bearing for one handed use. I cherish the one I have but as is I'm going to have to pass on future Dodos until the lock is updated.

Edit: After listening to others experience, I may give the uncaged lock another try. And see if I can improve the one I have as well.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Sat Apr 30, 2022 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

If anyone has a Dodo and a Q Ball, could you please post a comparison pic? Is one of them easier to operate the lock than the other?

Wish it was coated, but this one is really tempting me. SE M4 could be really impressive.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I'll get mine out and snap a pic tomorrow. My Q-Ball has the worst lock stick I have ever encountered on a folding knife, if I open it normally I literally have to use a screwdriver to pry the ball back to release it. My Dodos I can operate with one hand easily.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 pm
I'll get mine out and snap a pic tomorrow. My Q-Ball has the worst lock stick I have ever encountered on a folding knife, if I open it normally I literally have to use a screwdriver to pry the ball back to release it. My Dodos I can operate with one hand easily.
Maybe my Dodo just has lock stick then. I can't do it one handed.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

glad to see some love for the spyderedge from BHQ!
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Danke

Post by Danke »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:02 pm
The person who owns bhq must reeeealy like m4 and jade g10.

DLT is such a better company due to their insanely fast shipping, excellent customer service, and good prices compared to bhq; but what really sets DLT as a better company than bhq is that they listen to their customers’ input and aren’t stuck in a singular knife exclusive steel/scale design.
DLT is great!! What does their Dodo look like?
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

Danke wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 4:14 pm
Rinzler wrote:

DLT is such a better company due to their insanely fast shipping, excellent customer service, and good prices compared to bhq; but what really sets DLT as a better company than bhq is that they listen to their customers’ input and aren’t stuck in a singular knife exclusive steel/scale design.
DLT is great!! What does their Dodo look like?
Don’t know. Don’t care. All day everyday DLT is better in every way than bhq. If DLT offers a dodo one day, I suppose it won’t be a gaudy and played out jade and m4 combo.
gspam1

Post by gspam1 »

Rinzler wrote:
The jade G10 shows dirt really easily and is my least favorite green shade. I have bought BHQ exclusives, but Rit dye the scales on every single one. I just think of them as buying a knife kit that you have to finish yourself.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:59 am
yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 10:28 pm
Maybe my Dodo just has lock stick then. I can't do it one handed.
Well, my day took a left turn straight out of the gate, but I did finally get some pictures taken.

Hope they help.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Thanks for the pics, yablanowitz! Those are very helpful.
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

The ball on the dodo looks way more accessible one-handed from those pics.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Great pics Yablanowitz, you've manage to increase my ambivalence.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Well now Im curious if my lock is just sticky. I've used it a lot and it hasn't really broken in. Maybe I'll try some KPL heavy lube on it. Though that might make it worse by making the ball bearing slippery. If it were caged that wouldn't be an issue.

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Fri Apr 29, 2022 7:16 pm
The ball on the dodo looks way more accessible one-handed from those pics.
The front edge of the hole around the ball is cut at a lower angle on the Dodo than the Q-Ball, at least on mine, so yes, the Dodo is a bit more accessible.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

So I oiled the ball bearing up with some KPL heavy, put on a glove and spent some time yesterday working the lock. Then cleaned it with some alchohol. It's still very tight and sticks, but I loosened it enough that I can do it one handed. And I can rotate the bearing much easier (not that you need to to work the lock).

ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Been carrying my Dodo. Works one handed now but my fingertips are sore from working the lock :tonque-out

Fomo may lead me to picking up the serrated version after all my griping about the lock. Lock issues aside I really like the design. The Dodo is a rare bird and who knows if there will be another.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I'm sure going to be working a lot of extra hours with this new full SE Dodo coming out. I've already put back some cash for the C-60 Ayoob models whenever they finally get released. There are so few good models being made again in full SE I hate to pass up on any of them when available.

But for the blade size the Dodo in full SE is the best I've ever seen on a smaller blade in full SE. I'm just ecstatic that they have made the Dodo available again in full SE. I might just be selling something to be able to get a couple of those while they are available. Because I've got a feeling that it might be a long time before they make another GOLDEN Era ( pre-2005 model) in an SE Sprint Run. And I hope I'm wrong on that prediction.