Blade HQ Jade/M4 Dodo SE coming

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
legOFwhat?

Re: Blade HQ Jade/M4 Dodo SE coming

Post by legOFwhat? »

Really shocked theses are still available! Going through acceptance testing at work kept me away from being online today and I thought I would miss this. Can't wait to test out M4 with teeth!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Unless there's some sort of issue with the website, it seems Dodo demand is satisfied. In stock for a full day. Too bad I don't have the budget or I'd have bought another.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Is selling out in minutes or hours now the measure of the success of a knife? I sure hope not.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Wandering_About wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 am
Is selling out in minutes or hours now the measure of the success of a knife? I sure hope not.
It's been that way for a decade and a half. This model will most likely follow the cult classic path like a lot of lower demand exclusives/sprints, but not selling out quickly on day one is a big Oof.

The BHQ PE version sold out in under 10 minutes, but that feels like a lifetime ago. The SE model also has a lot less discussion on the forums. For whatever reasons (price/SE/handle color/steel), it's just not as in demand.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Perhaps some are holding out for a DLC version? Would have been my 1st choice, but you know, FOMO.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

I have wanted a Dodo for as long as I can remember. But I just can't pull the trigger on M4. Really hope one comes out in a steel that requires less maintenance like S30V.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Hopweaver wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:29 am
I have wanted a Dodo for as long as I can remember. But I just can't pull the trigger on M4. Really hope one comes out in a steel that requires less maintenance like S30V.

Don't hold your breath. I don't see this one coming out in any other steels any time soon. One release every few years if you are lucky.

M4 is fine if you aren't getting it sweaty or wet. Most people aren't going to EDC a Dodo, so not a huge concern. Mine is going to sit in my desk drawer as a box/package opener. I will do literally zero maintenance on it and sleep like a baby. :)
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
MournfulCongregant

Post by MournfulCongregant »

steelcity16 wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:42 pm
I wonder if another Dodo exclusive I know about will be soon? I feel like they make blades in batches.
Which one might that be? I love the reverse-S shape.

Smaller ones, like this Dodo, or the Cricket for the budget minded, are absolute cardboard murderers and are super useful. I love them, I enjoy carrying and using them.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
MournfulCongregant

spoonrobot wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:58 am
Wandering_About wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:43 am
It's been that way for a decade and a half. This model will most likely follow the cult classic path like a lot of lower demand exclusives/sprints, but not selling out quickly on day one is a big Oof.

That is wild to me, "It isn't gone in a day, oof!" haha, that says good things about Spyderco though, that folks are like "Wow, it lasted 24 hours, 1200 people didn't instantly get it, it took TWO days to go?" haha. I bought two, the minute they dropped. I'm not usually too crazy for sprints, but this one I had to have. Any reverse-S sprint, is a mandatory one for me. Got a plainedge Dodo with beautiful Desert Ironwood scales.
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.
Hopsbreath

Post by Hopsbreath »

Hopweaver wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 10:29 am
This is one of my favorite knife reviews on YouTube. Guy doing it is really laid back and casual and shows off his obviously well loved Gayle Bradley he claims to have used for 5 years. It’s about the most patina I’ve ever seen on M4 and it’s not bad at all. He’s right too, M4 doesn’t do much more than change to a dull grey with the same minimal maintenance I give S30V.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I’m super excited to finally get my hands on a dodo, especially a serrated one! Haven’t been excited for an exclusive drop in a while. Oddball, yet functional, designs like this are a big reason I love Spyderco so much.

That said, I can’t stand the jade G10 - does anybody know any makers who will do Dodo scales? Or do I just have to bust out the Rit dye…
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lumpy wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 2:26 pm
I’m super excited to finally get my hands on a dodo, especially a serrated one! Haven’t been excited for an exclusive drop in a while. Oddball, yet functional, designs like this are a big reason I love Spyderco so much.

That said, I can’t stand the jade G10 - does anybody know any makers who will do Dodo scales? Or do I just have to bust out the Rit dye…
I suspect RIT dye is your safest bet. Good news being you have a blank slate and can pick any color.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bamalt1

Post by Bamalt1 »

Has anybody got a shipping notification yet? I ordered first minute of the sale and I'm still waiting. I saw the "Due to some unexpected shipping delays, this item will ship within 1-2 business days!" notification and it's been 2 days so just curious if anybody has any movement on their order.
S35VN PM2, Spydiechef, M4 Manix 2 XL, Rex 45 Shaman, Kapara, M4 PM2 Tanto, Ultatech BH, Techno 2, 20CV Yojimbo 2
MournfulCongregant

Bamalt1 wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 11:29 am
Has anybody got a shipping notification yet? I ordered first minute of the sale and I'm still waiting. I saw the "Due to some unexpected shipping delays, this item will ship within 1-2 business days!" notification and it's been 2 days so just curious if anybody has any movement on their order.
They ain't shipped yet. Just asked today.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Does anyone know how many BHQ commissioned for the SE? Looking at the spyderwiki it doesn't mention SE yet and only that the PE sold out in about 5 minutes, but not how many were made.
500?
-Larry
MNOSD #0049
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

So tempted but I also want to buy a new pistol and this is a big chunk of that pistol fund in my budget.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 12:02 pm
So tempted but I also want to buy a new pistol and this is a big chunk of that pistol fund in my budget.
Do both
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Half Sack wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:50 pm
Do both
Are you gonna pay my bills :winking-tongue
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

Thu May 05, 2022 8:14 pm
Half Sack wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 5:50 pm
Do both
Are you gonna pay my bills :winking-tongue
If I win the lotto with a sugar momma you go it!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

"UPDATE! As of Thursday, May 5th, we expect to fulfill and ship out your orders within 1-2 days. We appreciate your patience and apologize for the inconvenience!"

Saw this a few minutes ago, so it looks to start shipping soon :)
-Larry
MNOSD #0049