Seeking opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Spyderbugs

Seeking opinions

Post by Spyderbugs »

Hello all, I carry a Manix 2 in S30V. I live on a farm, Hunt, clean game, fish, camp. I am wanting to buy a para 2. I’m always using my knife for something. This time I would like to improve on the blade with this purchase from the S30V. Edge retention and able to withstand abuse is my main goal here. I have a few steels in mind but don’t want to list them just yet. I want to see if great minds think alike. All your minds and opinions matter. Thank you for your thought and consideration. Thanks for all you do day in and day out. You all have educated my mind body and soul. Feel free to do it day in and day out.
Wartstein

Re: Seeking opinions

Post by Wartstein »

Hey Spyderbugs, just found your post by happenstance back on page 5... everybody (including me) must have missed it... :worried

No time right now for going into details about suggestions concerning possible steel choices for your PM2, but at least I can bump your question!
I am sure some folks here will chime in who know more about steels than I do anyway.

... and welcome to the forum of course! :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

Welcome to the forum, Spyderbugs!

You didn't list corrosion resistance as a requirement, so you're probably best off with 4V or Cruwear.

Edge retention is highly dependent on your sharpening choices and what you're actually cutting, but both are pretty much on par with s30v. The edge degrades in a totally different way though, and strops back incredibly well. They'll definitely stand up to whatever abuse you decide to put them though, the toughness also seems to be what contributes to the edge very rarely taking damage that can't be stropped out.

Cruwear is quite a bit more corrosion resistant, in my experience, so if that is a concern then you may wanna avoid 4V. Cruwear is also on a regular production pm2 as opposed to 4v only being on probably the single most scalped pm2 version, so availability is definitely better.

If you want something that can be a definite improvement in edge retention over s30v, then theres also M4 and 10V. Edge maintenance gets a bit more difficult with them, so the sharpening equipment you own/use becomes a lot more important.

Im sure someone else will cover stainless options. There's people here who are a lot more knowledgeable about stainless than I am, as my interest in them is pretty much limited to options that wouldn't be appropriate for the scenario you laid out.

In case you're not familiar with it, Larrin's website, Knifesteelnerds, is an excellent resource: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/
Currently testing: M398, D3, SLD-Magic
Favorites: 10V, s90v
Wishlist: S290, Vancron, S125V, K890
17 Spydies, 14 steels
12 Maxace, 8 steels

https://instagram.com/cnyknifenut
https://youtube.com/@CNYKnifeNerd
standy99

Post by standy99 »

I would suggest CruWear as the crucarta is a standard run although may take a while to get if ordered.

But wouldn’t be throwing a Pacific Salt out of the mix when the Fishing is involved…
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
lilshaver

Post by lilshaver »

I second the Knifesteelnerds resource and will throw out another consideration REX45. What you desire is a balanced steel. If you get high edge retention then that means lower toughness and if you get higher toughness you get lower edge retention. Ultimately you must give up some of one to get more of the other. Good luck in choosing.
cjk

Post by cjk »

FWIW, the Para Military 2 is very popular and often sold out. I quickly checked a few online knife shops which came to mind. The only Para Military 2 variants I find in stock have blade steels in CPM S45VN, CPM S110V, or CPM CruWear. You might have to look on the secondary market if you want something else.

You might take a look at the Shaman model also.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

What are your sharpening options and experience? Some steels may offer better edge retention but also be more difficult and time consuming to sharpen if your options are limited and you may find that the trade-off isn't worth it. I would also lean more towards toughness and edge stability since edge damage will take more work to fix. For a knife that's really getting abused I'd rather do frequent tough ups vs frequent long and tedious chip repairs.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Welcome to the Forum ! There already some good suggestions posted that can give you food for thought . If you are not totally set on a PM2 and the environment seems to be everyday outdoor use my take would be a Pacific Salt . Hope you enjoy your time on the Forum . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
z1r

Post by z1r »

Since you mentioned hunting, I selected a ZDP Stretch 2 for that purpose. It is used for skinning, I use a fixed blade for separating shoulders, etc.

That said, I do like my CruCarta PM2.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I'm surprised to see this pop up.

I personally like the M2 better than the PM2, which doesn't fit my hand. I really like the K390 Straight Spine Stretch. Perhaps take a look at that?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Perhaps not the obvious choice, but I like the SpydieChef for a lot of my outdoor activities.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

honestly, i'm not a big a fan of higher edge retention steels. the harder they are, the more they chip. the more wear-resistant they are, the harder they are to sharpen. so, you end up with blades that will still dull and will still chip, but be much harder to maintain in the field if you need to. for the applications you stated, i would probably prefer lc200n. it's tough and touches up easily. i'd rather have a blade i can run over a ceramic rod a few times and keep working with than a knife that i can't sharpen without specific materials.

i would recommend a caribbean with a leaf shaped blade. it's about the size of a pm2, but with more blade length, and it has the leaf shape you're already used to with the manix. another option would be the magnacut manix lw that is on the horizon (although there's no telling how long we will be waiting for it).
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

For farming and outdoor activities, it seems that more than one knife is needed. Perhaps one large and one small. For constant or frequent use, ease of sharpening is a much desired trait. My S110V Manix doesn't get much pocket time because of this.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Agree with Giygas, Cruwear, 4V are great options for tough, wear-resistant steels. 4V is only going to be available on the secondary market, at which point I’d also recommend K390 or Rex45 if you can find them.

DLT currently has a Cruwear PM2 with purple g10 for just under $160. They also have a Cruwear PM2 with natural canvas micarta scales, which would be my preference, for just under $190.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Sorry, I know you want a PM2, but if it were me, having hunted, fished, and worked on a ranch, I'd want something larger. I'd pick the Resilience LW CE in S35VN. It might be the best bargain, and one of the best all-around folders, on the market.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Coastal wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 10:45 am
Sorry, I know you want a PM2, but if it were me, having hunted, fished, and worked on a ranch, I'd want something larger. I'd pick the Resilience LW CE in S35VN. It might be the best bargain, and one of the best all-around folders, on the market.
I echo your sentiments. The S35VN Resilience is growing on me.....especially for camp duty. My sample of one is very well made with a strong detent. IMHO the large general purpose utility designed blade covers a multitude of functions.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I see the OP hasn't logged in since April 29. I hope they weren't put off by the fact that nobody responded to their first thread. I wonder if that first post was in moderation for awhile and that's how it ended up not being seen. Hopefully the OP logs in and sees there's been several great responses to their question

...and Welcome to the Spyderco Forums Spyderbugs!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spyderbugs wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:27 am
Hello all, I carry a Manix 2 in S30V.....
Sharp Guy wrote: I see the OP hasn't logged in since April 29. I hope they weren't put off by the fact that nobody responded to their first thread. ...
Good thing you checked that , Sharp Guy..

Since nobody (I think) quoted OP directly so far, I did at least just that right now, so he/she will hopefully get an email notification and log in again...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
R100

Post by R100 »

Hey Spyderbugs, some great options here. My use is similar to yours and I would add the Gayle Bradley 2 to the list. M4, fantastic hollow grind and a great Skinner. More edge length and much better cutter than the PM2.

Dan
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spyderbugs wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 11:27 am
Hello all, I carry a Manix 2 in S30V. I live on a farm, Hunt, clean game, fish, camp. I am wanting to buy a para 2. I’m always using my knife for something. This time I would like to improve on the blade with this purchase from the S30V. Edge retention and able to withstand abuse is my main goal here. I have a few steels in mind but don’t want to list them just yet. I want to see if great minds think alike. All your minds and opinions matter. Thank you for your thought and consideration. Thanks for all you do day in and day out. You all have educated my mind body and soul. Feel free to do it day in and day out.

Hey Spyderbugs, since I saw you logged in here again in the meantime: I´d now be interested in which steels YOU actually had in mind! :smirk

Just if you care to reply of course, no "obligation" whatsoever.