Seeking opinions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Airlsee

Re: Seeking opinions

Post by Airlsee »

I'll throw out the 20CV/M390/204p versions if you are looking for corrosion resistance; if not K390 or Rex45.

So it goes.
benben

Post by benben »

Airlsee wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 7:16 am
I'll throw out the 20CV/M390/204p versions if you are looking for corrosion resistance; if not K390 or Rex45.

I agree with this, I have the M390 & 204P versions. Just depends if you’re needing corrosion resistance or not? I’m more of a Manix guy over the PM2, I think it would make a much better farm knife, my Cru-Wear Manix is probably my favorite knife right now.

Since the OP wants a PM2, don’t overlook the SS Stretch if you like the PM2 blade profile, and K390 if you don’t need stainless.
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

For hunting, fishing, farming, etc., I prefer something with good stain resistance. S110V maybe? What do you mean when you say "abuse" of a knife? Are you looking for raw toughness or resistance to neglect?

S30V may not be the hot new thing but it is still pretty good, and stainless. If stain resistance is not an issue, there are other options for sure.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

Sorry everyone, been crazy busy. I’m a nurse and care giver and time just got away from me. Thanks to everyone that replied. I love the vast knowledge and experience here on this thread. Honestly all the blades you all listed have been in mind. I have a Manix 2 and am totally in love with in and yes the the PM in many blades are scarce. I’m leaning of course for a larger blade as was recommended. So I am leaning on a Manix Xl. M4 seemed tempting as I am good about keep my knife in tip top shape. Cruware is also being considered. Was honestly wanting a m390 blade it availability isn’t looking good. I’m 46 and it’s a shape I never really paid much attention to knife steel. Now I’m in the mind set with knives like with guns. Different guns for different purposes and different rounds. So much to consider and learn. It’s quite amazing. As far as sharpening, it’s kinda like a stress reliever and challenge. Top my self each time. I have stones, set angle sharpening devices, strop ect.
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

Again thanks for all the responses. I don’t know if there is a delay on seeing my reply? Maybe these must be approved before posting. My comment about being “abused” maybe was termed poorly. Maybe I should of said just a tough dependable knife that is well rounded to hand just about anything that would be thrown at it in this situation.
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

Thank you everyone that chimed in. Appreciate the advice.I have tried to reply so hopefully this one goes through. I have been ready several threads but never actually posted so this was my first. Actually all the steel that everyone suggested was one that has been on the list of possible candidates. Sharpening means and know how is not a issue, corrosion resistance is on the bottom of the concern as I maintain well. As far as “ abuse” , basically I was meaning daily country living. I did read a thread posted about top 5 favorite steels here. Huge help too, plus with the information on Blade HQ. I have decided to go with Cruwear. It seems too be a well liked steel and well rounded.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Hey welcome to the Forum "Spyderbugs" :cheap-sunglasses I'm willing to bet based on your "farm type jobs" that you use your knives for I'm almost certain that a Para2 with M390 would be just what the "doctor" ordered for those demanding cutting jobs that you frequently encounter.

For the past 5 years I've rotated my M390 Military model for some very demanding jobs and it's been a GOD-Send for me. I've found M390 to be about the perfect blade steel for outdoor type jobs as well as minor indoor jobs as well.

I could also recommend a PARA2 with XHP or M-4 would both be great for what you're describing.
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

Yes sir!! After doing more research, i actually was very interested in M390, but after ready A lot!!!! I am on the hunt for a Manix or Para 2 in Cruwear or Rex 45 especially since everyone compared Rex45 to M4 which was another on my list. Seems like M4 and M390 are difficult to find
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

What are everyone’s favorite online retailers for knives?
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

Again, I want to thank everyone who has helped, I know I probably sound like a broken record but I’m very analytical. Correct me if I’m wrong or please confirm my thinking. Last question on this subject. So from what I have gathered. CPM Cruwear out performs S30V in edge retention , ease of sharpening and toughness- and Rex 45 out performs CPM Cruwear on edge retention and toughness? Is this correct thinking?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Spyderbugs wrote:
Tue May 17, 2022 12:33 pm
Again, I want to thank everyone who has helped, I know I probably sound like a broken record but I’m very analytical. Correct me if I’m wrong or please confirm my thinking. Last question on this subject. So from what I have gathered. CPM Cruwear out performs S30V in edge retention , ease of sharpening and toughness- and Rex 45 out performs CPM Cruwear on edge retention and toughness? Is this correct thinking?
I may recommend this https://knifesteelnerds.com/2021/10/19/ ... esistance/ once more (Giygas did so already in an earlier post): Dr. Larrin really is a top expert, and going by his charts S30V has a bit BETTER edge retention than Cruwear...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Spyderbugs

Post by Spyderbugs »

War… tysvm!!!! Time to study, good resource. I think I may actually trust this info.