Blade HQ M4/Micarta Shaman

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Woodpuppy

Re: Blade HQ M4/Micarta Shaman

Post by Woodpuppy »

Wow that’s a big gob. I had to look at mine to convince myself that you didn’t file off the detent! But no, it was not supposed to be there.

Great first post, and welcome to the forum!
Last edited by Woodpuppy on Thu May 26, 2022 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
ekastanis

Post by ekastanis »

Mushroom wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 3:18 pm
The liners are not punched out with a press.
Are you certain about this? The liners on my Shamans and other Spyderco knives have the appearance of stamped parts

e: on second look, these could indeed be cut somehow
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

ekastanis wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 5:42 pm
Mushroom wrote:
Are you certain about this? The liners on my Shamans and other Spyderco knives have the appearance of stamped parts

Wire EDM?
Crox

Post by Crox »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:00 pm
ekastanis wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Wire EDM?
I just assumed that wire edm and lasers were too slow for volume production. But I’m unfamiliar so interesting to consider.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Crox wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:06 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
ekastanis wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

Wire EDM?
I just assumed that wire edm and lasers were too slow for volume production. But I’m unfamiliar so interesting to consider.
I really have no idea about production speed, either of wire EDM tech or Spyderco’s production lines. Would love to see it all in action some day. The exotic blade steels don’t necessarily handle fine blanking like Mora uses, but I don’t see why the liners couldn’t. Aside from mitigating corrosion concerns and achieving the spring rate needed for the comp and liner locks, I would assume they would prioritize manufacturing speed/ease.

We need a “How It’s Made, Spyderco Edition”.
Crox

Post by Crox »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:19 pm
Crox wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 6:06 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
ekastanis wrote:

Wire EDM?
I really have no idea about production speed, either of wire EDM tech or Spyderco’s production lines. Would love to see it all in action some day. The exotic blade steels don’t necessarily handle fine blanking like Mora uses, but I don’t see why the liners couldn’t. Aside from mitigating corrosion concerns and achieving the spring rate needed for the comp and liner locks, I would assume they would prioritize manufacturing speed/ease.

We need a “How It’s Made, Spyderco Edition”.
Oh yes I only figured the liners were stamped. No clue on blades. Agree on a “how it’s made”… which reminded me of the Bladehq video. See 12 min mark (spoiler alert: freakin’ lasers): https://youtu.be/JlsoX_Hkd1c
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Ok I typed this earlier but saved it and never sent it, so a bit of editing:
(my issue was different than the one above(glob of steel), but I do believe it to be a laser cutter issue of some sort that affected us both)

Here is my brain thoughts/reasoning laid out:
All the round holes on my example had little burrs in them at the exact same point (at the bottom) in each hole, they were roughly the exact same size, regardless of hole size. The D-hole had the burr at the same point as the round holes. Of note: My round pivot hole side of the liners had no burrs in any of the holes, all clean.

I am also using the comment in the Mule team section for the burr that got left on the last Mule team knife. I have one of these knives that had the issue.
The thread from Spyderco addressing the Mule Team knife burr issue:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91899
Quoted from that thread:
"We became aware of a minor issue with the recent MT32 SRS13/SUS405 Mule Team and the MTGBK G-10 handles. The MTGBK posts are getting hung up on a small tab in the post hole that was left behind from the laser."

The mule team was done in Seki-City and the Shaman was done here in Golden.

The burr on the mule knife and the shaman looked the same, definitely at the same part of the hole (bottom side) and same size burr.
I'm going with laser cutter for the holes.

The overall plate part could very well be punched from sheet? Which in my mind makes sense. Are the regular shamans skeletonized liners? I ask because I do not know.

There are pics somewhere of the mule team burr. I wish I took pics of the liners when I had my shaman apart, never crossed my mind. I just went; well need I a file and fixed it on the shaman much as I did the mule team...

That's a little bit how my brain reasons things out. It could be very wrong.

I think the fact we are pointing this out means it will get run by whoever needs to see it and the corrective actions will be done to remedy this.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

ekastanis wrote:
Mushroom wrote:

99.9% certain.
troutinCO wrote: Ok I typed this earlier but saved it and never sent it, so a bit of editing:
(my issue was different than the one above(glob of steel), but I do believe it to be a laser cutter issue of some sort that affected us both)

Here is my brain thoughts/reasoning laid out:
All the round holes on my example had little burrs in them at the exact same point (at the bottom) in each hole, they were roughly the exact same size, regardless of hole size. The D-hole had the burr at the same point as the round holes. Of note: My round pivot hole side of the liners had no burrs in any of the holes, all clean.

I am also using the comment in the Mule team section for the burr that got left on the last Mule team knife. I have one of these knives that had the issue.
The thread from Spyderco addressing the Mule Team knife burr issue:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=91899
Quoted from that thread:
"We became aware of a minor issue with the recent MT32 SRS13/SUS405 Mule Team and the MTGBK G-10 handles. The MTGBK posts are getting hung up on a small tab in the post hole that was left behind from the laser."

The mule team was done in Seki-City and the Shaman was done here in Golden.

The burr on the mule knife and the shaman looked the same, definitely at the same part of the hole (bottom side) and same size burr.
I'm going with laser cutter for the holes.

The overall plate part could very well be punched from sheet? Which in my mind makes sense. Are the regular shamans skeletonized liners? I ask because I do not know.

There are pics somewhere of the mule team burr. I wish I took pics of the liners when I had my shaman apart, never crossed my mind. I just went; well need I a file and fixed it on the shaman much as I did the mule team...

That's a little bit how my brain reasons things out. It could be very wrong.

I think the fact we are pointing this out means it will get run by whoever needs to see it and the corrective actions will be done to remedy this.
I know that in Golden the blades are not stamped either. They have and use both a laser cutter and wire EDM to cut blades and liners. (Including the Spyderholes) I have actual cutout Spyderholes and it’s obvious that they were laser cut because they all have an identical little starting notch in them.

I could be wrong but I believe Spydercos Japanese manufacturers still drill out some of the Spyderholes in their folders.
-Nick :bug-red
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear CriticalMe:

Thank you VERY much for your detailed response and the excellent photos. These help a lot. I will ensure they are brought to the attention of our factory and assembly teams.

Stay safe,

Mike
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Michael Janich wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 7:09 am
Dear CriticalMe:

Thank you VERY much for your detailed response and the excellent photos. These help a lot. I will ensure they are brought to the attention of our factory and assembly teams.

Stay safe,

Mike
Awesome!
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Xformer wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:42 am
Can someone take a photo from above ? To see the comp lock ? With a normal Shaman, for a comparison =D ? Thanks.
I saw your request awhile back and forgot about it. Sorry for taking so long. :disappointed

Hope these help!! :smlling-eyes

ImageImageImageImage
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I thought it was established a long time ago that liners (in Golden at least) were laser cut? I remember the little notches on Para 2 liners being called to question and was told they're start/stop points.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
troutinCO

Post by troutinCO »

Those tabs/burrs are what I recognized as a laser cut marks and why I said I think the laser cutter needs a tweak originally. The opposite side liner holes had no burrs like the lock tab side did. Assuming they are done the same way then something happened from side to side. Like a decimal point is off and the laser isn't going past the start point to burn that tab off.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Evil D wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:33 am
I thought it was established a long time ago that liners (in Golden at least) were laser cut? I remember the little notches on Para 2 liners being called to question and was told they're start/stop points.
That is correct.

I believe those notches are for a tiny tab that holds the liner to the large sheet of metal after being cut. That tab can then be easily broken by hand to remove the liners from the large sheet.

Original photo - http://thrumylens.org/wp-content/upload ... t-Edit.jpg
Photo Source - https://thrumylens.org/featured/review- ... ilitary-2/
-Nick :bug-red
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Chuck James wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 6:35 pm
Xformer wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 3:42 am
Can someone take a photo from above ? To see the comp lock ? With a normal Shaman, for a comparison =D ? Thanks.
I saw your request awhile back and forgot about it. Sorry for taking so long. :disappointed

Hope these help!! :smlling-eyes

ImageImageImageImage
Thanks =D

I thought there was going to be a difference, like the PM2 micarta cruwear, but both Shaman seems similar.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

@chuck James, have you put that M4 beast to work yet? You’re among the users here I’d classify as hard users for certain!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Xformer wrote:
Tue Jun 07, 2022 11:22 am
I thought there was going to be a difference, like the PM2 micarta cruwear, but both Shaman seems similar.
I only have micarta Shamans to compare, but both my Z-Wear Micarta and M4 Micarta shamans have identical comp lock tabs, just like in Chuck's photos.

The Crucarta PM2 having a larger comp lock tab is, I think, unique to the PM2, with one exception: the upcoming the Military 2, which may have the largest comp lock tab yet.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
WhiskeySandwich

Post by WhiskeySandwich »

Here’s how purdy CPM M4 gets when you use it real good. No rust yet.
Attachments
5E22E39E-CD7D-4D12-B66B-8137E4C54B67.jpeg
Buddafucco

Post by Buddafucco »

WhiskeySandwich wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Patina on the blade and the Micarta... I like it!
A before and after... those are both M4, right?
•• Beau
WhiskeySandwich

Post by WhiskeySandwich »

Buddafucco wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:45 pm
WhiskeySandwich wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 3:32 pm
Patina on the blade and the Micarta... I like it!
A before and after... those are both M4, right?
Yup! They’re twins. I keep a backup of all my favorite things, especially when availability is limited. This configuration was too good to pass up on a second. Better believe they’ll both be users too. I like how the M4 darkens but won’t rust right away, there’s a grace period there. It doesn’t seem to dull the luster much either. And that edge! I also like that the micarta isn’t green green, just a dirty green color. I’ve been on the hunt for ages for the perfect edc, and this is it for me. I haven’t carried any others since.
Do whatchalike