"Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JSumm

"Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Post by JSumm »

It may be time for a dedicated thread to Sal's fantastic story drops. A place to reference them all. Here are some recents. I will try to find as much as I can, but if you know of some, please drop them here.
sal wrote:
Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:05 am

Talkin' Story:[/i]

I'd been interested in knives all of my life. I've always paid attention to the use of a knife as a potential weapon. In 2000, I spent some time with Mr. James Keating.

Like Michael Janich and a few others, I think that the skill that they develop is art form carried by artists across centuries of teacher/student learning. Much like Martial Art styles, Kendo, Escrima and other Marital Blade styles, they are well thought out, practiced and taught. Michael has way more knowledge on this. He's a Master, in my opinion.

For me, James Keating's Riddle of Steel was a new and special experience. James is a good teacher and I learned a great deal. A bunch of knife afi's jump into jet boats and cruise up the Snake River to a camp. Rooms, food, and days of MBC. I met some great people and it was through those people that Mike and I met.

The Lil' Temperance trailing point (Rhino) was designed to fit James Keating "style" of trapping, and keep within a 3.0" blade limit. Designed for Forward grip edge down, the clip-holes and dimples on the handle were for rotation to Reverse Grip Edge Out. We also made a Leaf blade for more general use.

That was before I learned about P'Kal and Mike's style. The new model is an evolution of the original design, designed to be able to use the other grips. (all 4) FRN, bi-dectional grippy texture, 3" (The pro's say best to be around 3" blade length) thicker stout blade, leaf shape only (at this time). Full Flat grind. Don't know about trainers of other variations. It's just an evolved form of a blade concept for useful tough every day carry with a strong bend towards MBC. If there is interest, we can, with the FRN handle, create a variety of variations. If I had to name it. I would call it a "Man Tooth".

For Michael's styles's, I would say go Yojimbo (or YoJumbo). His design works better for his style. It's a very refined style. I'm watching his designs develop and refine as well. It's an interesting design evolution. I'm looking forward to his new Micro, and anything he comes up with.

Just some inside info.

sal
Last edited by JSumm on Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Re: "Talkin' Story" with Mr. Sal Glesser

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:13 pm
I was having lunch, (Thai) and the couple next to me was struggling to take off a wrist band the lady had. Since I was carrying a serrated Shaman, I also had a Roadie with me for PC cutting. I offered the Roadie to the lady. She opened it with ease (intuitively) cut the wrist band and closed it with ease (intuitively). I don't think the Shaman would have been the best solution to offer.

Do you have a daily experience to share?

sal
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:17 pm
Hi,

Our early knives were all stainless scales. We were chasing high performance low maintenance. In 1990 we added FRN and offered the Endura and Delica is several colors. Nobody wanted colors :confused: Black only. We ended up discontinuing the colors. It was a shame because I felt that colors changed the "sinister" attached to knives and said, "I'm carrying a cutting tool" and doesn't look like you are trying to hide something.

When we did add colors, it was dark, close to black but different.

Now we like colors :eek: So I would be interested in learning why you like colors on knives? :D And even what colors and why?

Thanx much,

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 7:17 pm
"Talkin Story";

A smart man once told me this; Every time you get mad and vent on someone, put a nail into the fence. After you see there are many nails in the fence, go back and apologize to the people on whom you vented. After you've apologized to them, take the nail out of the fence. After all of the nails are removed, look at the holes in the fence that remain. An apology may remove the nail, but leaves the hole.

Mad is bad! If you are not in control of yourself, who is?

Just my opinion.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 2:54 pm
No problem with Ken and Spyderco, we're friends. No problem with Kershaw and Spyderco, mutual respect.

The Keshaw/Spyderco Spyker was a fun and challenging project (two competitors). I think we pulled it off very well. We only wanted to do one run just to be able to say we did it. We're always open to new ideas and concepts.

Funny side story (talkin' story), Lynn Thompson, another competitor, and friend, served me at the SHOT show because he thought that our "Spyker" name was too close to his "Striker) name. I explained to Lynn that the name came from the SPY in Spyderco and the KER in Kershaw was how the name came to be. I also explained that we were only doing one run and the run was done. So he withdrew the charge.

Interesting industry.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 1:50 am
I think that is the question we're all going to ask....and learn?

"Talkin' Story";

Many years ago, we were touring the very impressive Masahiro factory. I asked Koji, the President, why his Daido made proprietary MBS-26 was able to punch so high above it's weight? He said they followed the meticulous heat treating instruction provided by Daido. This included heat treating in lead pots, which I watched. The secret" knowledge of the blade industry never ceases to amaze me.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:24 pm
Being a Honda guy, I had quite a few of them. The 305 was a gateway for me. My last one was VTR 1000.

"Talkin' Story";

Mr Honda was a mentor of mine. (never met him) I studied him and his story. The genius behind Honda marketing was Mr. Fugisawa. He came to the US and was talking with motorcycle dealers about handling Honda Motorcycles. I remember one story where a dealer asked him his goal for sales? Mr. Fugisawa said about 50 units. The dealer said that 50 units a year would be challenging. Mr, Fugisawa said; A year? I would like to sell 50 units per month!

He decided that he would have to set up his own dealers and do his own marketing. He set up dealers and started a marketing program based on; "You meet the nicest people on a Honda". Some of you "oldsters" might remember grandma riding on a Honda scooter. The rest is history. A lesson in "Thinking big".

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

One of my favorites.
sal wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 4:42 pm
Talkin' Story: A few years ago, a couple was walking in National Park in Texas. Their young son was walking between them each holding his hands. A mountain lion jumped between them, grabbed the boy and dragged him off into the forest. The Dad chased the cat into the forest and found them with the cat holding his mouth over the boys face in an effort to smother him. The Dad beat on the cat with his fists, but the cat did not respond. He remembered that he had a Caly 3.5 in his pocket. He pulled the knife from his pocket and stabbed the cat in the side. The cat ran off and was later found dead.

They attended the Blade Magazine show that year and we had a chance to speak with them. The young boy told Gail that, "He didn't cry". Pretty brave for a 4 year old. The Dad said that it surprised him how easily the knife slid into the cat.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:49 pm

Talkin' Story: I was an associate member of the Custom Knife-maker's Guild and the American Blade-Smith's Society. Learning as I could. We'd been making sharpeners for a decade and stainless steel handled "Clipits" for a few years. Bob T and I had been friends seeing each other on the "show circuit". He said he liked my "hole Opener idea and the clip, but my designs were just ugly. "Handles go way way, blade goes anther way, terrible". I said, "You design a pretty one and I'll make it".

That's how the Spyderco's first collaboration began. One of Bob's requirements was that it be made in the USA. (Always the Patriot) Another was that he wanted special Blade steel, ATS-34 as I remember. This commitment was challenging because all of our knives at the time were being made in Seki-City Japan. I'd already spoken with most of the US makers and they didn't want to use the steels that I wanted to or hold the tolerances I wanted. I knew Bob would be just as finicky as I was so the only solution was to try to farm it out until we could build our own factory in Golden, which Gail and I were planning anyway.

We outsourced the first couple of runs to Les DeAsis at Benchmade, another friend of mine, and to Rob & Vince Ford, whom I met recently at a knife factory auction. The first several runs were challenging to say the least, but "Persistence is King". Bob T was our first collaboration with a Custom Knife-maker.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 26, 2022 12:58 am
Funny subject. Just "Talkin' Story",

When Chris and Eric were just kids, I told them that I was not from the planet earth. That I was born on the 4th moon of Jupiter, called Ganymede. Saltu crater is just north of the equator on Ganymede. On Ganymede, everyone had to go through a series of tests and then go before the council to judge their success.

My task was to come to the planet Earth and find 100 totally honest souls. I came here, looked down saw all the people and went back to report success. The council, said that I had failed. That you can't tell a totally honest soul just by looking. You have to go down to the planet and live among the Earthlings to know if they are totally honest souls. And I've been here for 45 years and I'm still looking.....................

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:44 am
Hi Lance,

Thanx for the effort and for the feedback. Good information for sure. I had the same results in my testing. We're currently testing galvanic response at the factory as well.

Interesting to watch the development march forward in time. Just "Talkin Story", Gail and I began the search for a corrosion resistant edge back in the early '80's. Being sailors and divers we could clearly see the need. 440C was the best at the time and we felt better could be found. We tested a lot of materials; Titanium, Ceramic, Stellite, castings and a host of possible solutions.

I can remember dropping over the side with a "great corrosion resistant steel", as described by the maker in my hand. I watched it rust right before my eyes as I descended. By the time I finished the dive, it was completely covered. Some of our friends and associates in the industry knew of our quest and we eventually came across H1. Then other steels came onto the scene and the rest is history. Probably 40 or so years from zero to options. Watching the development of the "Water Ghost" makes me proud to be part of this industry and it's persuits.

I really appreciate all of the "Real-World-Testing" we get from the Mules, especially the OC guys like we have here.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Great idea, Jeff.

I’ll now treat this thread like Sal’s Bombshell thread and post only pertinent references (while waiting, of course, for someone needing attention to comment on the irony of this one).
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 30, 2021 11:17 pm

"Talkin' Story":

Back in the early '80;s, I invented/designed a sharpener for these disposable blades. It looked and operated like a "drag through", but the mechanics inside provide a proper edge. We learned that the factories weren't interested because they felt they would sell fewer blades. The distributors and dealers were also not interested for the same reason. Thoughts to ponder?

I planned to made the disposable blades serrated. We had little horsepower back then and ended up backing off.

In order to be successful, the product would really have to be significantly better. I think we would have to make it in China, but we control design and materials and our makers appreciate the fact that we want them to be good performers, rather than "cheap Chinese junk".

I'm listening.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sun May 30, 2021 10:20 pm
Talkin' Story;

K390 was "my baby" from the beginning. While I'm not a metallurgist, I do have some understanding of blade steels and the chemistry of K390 caught my attention. First I made a Mule Team, which was well received. (two years on the making). Then it took another year plus to get our Japanese partner to learn to work with it, (not easy) and then we moved to make the entire Endura family in the steel. It is not stainless, which even I have managed to get some pitting ( my bad) but it has some high performance edge strength that is surprising. We are pleased to be able to offer this steel to the knife afi's that enjoy it.

And yes, I'd like to see a Shaman in this steel, even with an FRN scale (to keep the cost down).

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Term was not used here, but the title thread was Talkin' Story.
sal wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 6:44 pm
Hi,

I thought to share some history. About 2006 or 2007, we came up with the idea to make a "legal" bali-song. After much thought, we decided on a pen. Eric picked up the project and ran with. He designed, patented and went through the entire manufacturing process in USA and China. He also worked with a musician to create a "sound" and with a camera on his head, he made a video. Memory trip.

Our very own Wouter was a big help in the beginning, with promotion, contests, etc.

sal

https://youtu.be/vQe0EsCXaLg
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Mon May 10, 2021 2:24 pm
Hi Larrin,

Great stuff. Thanx much for sharing. It's really valuable for us on this forum to have an educated Academic perspective. I don't know to how many forums you present your information, but this forum as a group is appreciative. We also appreciate your "style" of humility and willingness to adapt to new information is very impressive.

Now to "Talkin' Story",

Since the beginning of our company, Gail and I have always pursued perfornance as our "thing". We've been testing for decades using CATRA as well as other Lab testing. I also highly value what I call "RWT" or Real World Testing. I have been supplying various restaurants, sub shops all over the world with our Blue handled serrated 6" Utility kitchen knife, (K04SBL) which I consider, in my opinion, the most effective general kitchen utility knife available. I have been going back to check on these knives regularly. I bring them to "home" to "scope" ( I use 10X, 22X and 50X to study edges ). Then I sharpen them or replace them. They usually last several years of daily commercial use. The results learned are very valuable.

I have had the good fortune to have Mr. Ed Schempp as a friend and business associate. We have been going to the Eugene knife show since the 80's. We always watched the "Rope cutting contest, which Ed usually won. Cutting free hanging rope. 1" then 2 1" then 3 1" etc. I have seen Ed cut 10 1" manila ropes with one strike with one of his knives. One year, I asked him If I can inspect his edge with a loupe before and after the contest. He agreed and I followed through. There was no visible damage to the edge after all of the cuts. then Ed resharpened the knife for me and let me take it to Golden for a CATRA test. The CATRA results were not very impressive, even though the knife was ???

While I was in Japan visiting the Kitchen knife factory that makes many of our kitchen knives, I asked the P resident why the MBS-26 that they use punches way above it's numbers. MBS-26 is a proprietary steel made by Daido for this company. He said that he, "Meticulously follows the heat treating instructions from the foundry". They heat treat in Lead pots. Something I hope to get into in the future with Mike Blue and Ed Schempp.

I have learned that Blades/edges will often defy the numbers one way or another, which is why we are still using RWT, and why we make the Mule Team. You afficianados are also very valuable in our search for the best performance in all areas of the "Edge/Ghost".

Just some thoughts to share.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sun Mar 07, 2021 7:48 pm
Hi Michael,

We got the idea for the "Puppy" from a knife-maker in Seki City. I liked the idea, but I didn't like his designs. We made a deal with him to pay him royalties for the idea, but that we would design our own models. We designed 3 sizes and even built a dog house for them. We decided to introduce the small one first to see reaction. The second size, is in my opinion an ideal table/steak knife. I planned, in addition to the general market, to market to Steak houses with their company names engraved on the blades. They could use them for their restaurants for guests and sell them as well. We began tooling the second size about a year ago, but everything is slow now due to Covid, even in China.

The 3rd size is longer still, and we'll need to decide on it after watching the reaction to the first two.

As you said, all ideas have merit. The decision to invest in an idea is always a gamble. We began with the current Z-cut in plain, serrated, tipped and blunt and offered a variety of colors. Now we study reaction. Is there enough demand for additional models in which to invest? Like the "handle forward" lock-back, which offers some advantages, is being tested with the "Rock Jumper".

Talkin' Story:

We designed our first "Z-Cut" model back in the early 80's. Planned it as a "Pitch" item to compete with the Ginsu knife. It was larger, maybe 9", serrated. There was nothing quite like it at the time. We made samples, but didn't have the horsepower to go forward with it and the Santoku, which we found in Japan. Now, 40 years later, most companies make a Santoku and many also make a Z-Cut of some type. My mother always told me that, "Necessity was the Mother of Invention". Hope that helps?

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 8:00 pm
Hey John,

Marketing trends of demand trends?

"Talkin' Story" I read a story long ago about a college that had remodeled the entire campus. when they were thinking of where to make the paths between the buildings, one in the group suggested that they just make it all lawn and see where the students choose to walk and make the paths there, which they did.

Spyderco enjoys offering the materials that in the world of edges are an interesting study.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:56 pm

"Talkin' Story": When we were in the development stage of the small Rescue, I decided that the hole opener was too small on the design and enlarged the hole. The enlarged hole came into the grind line, which caused me concerned, so I raised the hole creating a larger hump. The Maker enlarged the hole, but did not raise it. So the hole came into the grind line on the first shipment of 1200 pcs. We broke the blade, which did not meet with my satisfaction. That night, I had a dream that a Fire fighter was running into a burning building. He had to cut his way through some difficult material. He used his small Rescue which broke and cut him. Not good situation.

The next day we boxed up the entire shipment, concreted it and took it to the dump. Back to the drawing board and discussion with the maker.

sal
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:30 pm
I think that first I should say that some of the knives that you/me/we might consider Ethnic series were not designated as such when they were made. Hindsight does indicate that they should be included. Perhaps we can develop a list here. I started one once before but was hijacked.

"Talkin' story" is always fun.

Since the Shabaria just dropped, I'll start there, though many here know the story. Eduard Bradichanski was a Russian immigrant that resettled in Israel. He was a model maker by trade and a custom knife maker as a hobby. He showed me his folding version of the Shabaria, and I had not heard of the knife before. after visiting several museums and seeing some collections, I learned that the Shabaria was a common design in the Jordan valley beginning in 203 AD. In fact, when we introduced the design, many of the knife "experts" had also not heard of the design and some interesting discussions followed. I have one that I brought back and right now it's "lost" in one of the boxes in my office. When Ii find it, I'd like to make a brochure showing the originals and the Spyderco version. Mike began the project years ago, but I couldn't find the originals. :o

Eduard also designed the Original credit card model. He was assassinated in the west bank by Hamas before his models were released. They burned his body and his car and he was identified by the prototypes of the Shabaria and the credit card knife, which he was carrying at the time. He was survived by his wife and 2 sons. We still send royalties to the family when we make a sprint.

sal.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005