Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jim Malone

Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by Jim Malone »

I was wondering if there are any MBC knives in the pipeline in the near future?

I know of the micro p'kal, but i'm more interested in NEW designs for MBC.
Like where is a first Spyderco push dagger? Some new reverse edge knives ? A modern interpretation of a classic fighting knife. Something to please the (armchair) commando's with us.
Last edited by Jim Malone on Sat Apr 16, 2022 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twinboysdad

Re: Any more thrue MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by twinboysdad »

I would be all over this and feel like we need some more collaborations with new faces. I wish Ed Calderon had been one but he’s made the Elvia with Emerson. I do think the Canis sort of qualifies as new MBC though right? Would like to see 3-4 new designers be given a shot
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

The Canis, which Mike drove the project. The Micro P'Kal, the MicroJimbo, which Mike is designing. I'm working on a new "SuperHawk" with various blades ( Hawkbill, "Reverse S"). We've got a new FRN Lil' Temperance out soon.

We're always open to suggestions.

sal
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Nice! Been waiting for the Lil Temperance in FRN! I think a well designed push dagger might be great as well. I know i keep coming up with models with limited sale potential to the average buyer but a well designed smaller push knife with an asymetric frn handle ( between pointy and middle finger) would sound great. I like the one bastinelli did with microtech or like the Shivworks push knife. A taco style sheath ( i know sheaths are very difficult to do well in production models) . Or a new version of the old Temperance 1 with the dimpled frn handle.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

Push daggers are really illegal at this time.

We still have the molds for an original Temperance in FRN. I was always pleased with the groove for capping the knife in reverse grip on the original Temperance, and the dimples for rotation. JD really likes this model. I wonder if there is interest in a sprint run? I think the maker would appreciate making them. Color? Steel? We also made a trainer for it.

Maybe a set including a live blade,a trainer and a Boltaron sheath?

sal
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I love a new run of the Temperance 1! I prefer tactical black or some low profile colour ( charcoal, dark gray) and corossion resistant affordable steel would be great. And a trainer would be great as well. I love the original handle with the dimples and the handle material. The handle needs no fixing or CQI at all. I like the " cloaked" non tactical looking but very effective bladeshape. But please make it available in Europe as well in a somewhat financial bearable price range for an average joe user. You could bring it out in a subdued handle colour version and a bright yellow version for those who want/ need high viz. I also liked the thumb cap in the butt. I did my first FMA training with that blade and loved the transitions between heaven and earth grip. It was perfectly balanced in original configuration. You never see the Temp 1 available on the second hand market because the owners probably treasure them.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

I asked for gray FRN, red trainer and a new steel. Any preferences on steel for the live blade. The trainer would be 420J2.

sal
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Cliff Stamp used to say that the Temp 1 was the most comfortable Spydie fixed blade that he owned...
And he had huge hands as well...
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I'm not a steel knut. My knowledge is limited. I would prefer something like LC200n so the knife could also appeal to outdoorsmen and use around water without breaking the bank. I liked it in VG10 but give it a steel with good toughness and sharpness that can be sharpened on the sharpmaker. Nothing too hard but ductile that won't easely chip. And nothing that is too exotic. I think steel wise you are the one who knows better what customers buy. People who carry MBC knives tend to focus on something low maintenance with highly reliability. Nothing fancy. The less parts the less can break. Make it KISS. That was the appeal of the TEMP 1.
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

LC200N for me as well. I don't need trainer. I'd get both PE and SE.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I will buy a temp 1 if you do another run of them Sal. It looks like a great general purpose design.

VG10 or LC200N would work for me, but maybe a more exciting steel would be better for sales? Like Magnacut or Cruwear?
:unicorn
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Wow, interesting news. I don’t need one, but very, very likely to buy one and a trainer.

For the steel I’d like to something very stainless with good toughness, so 14c28n, LC200N, MagnaCut, etc.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

I would buy a knife/trainer/sheath set if the live blade was any of the salt steels.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

I'd definitely buy another temperance. I used to use mine in the kitchen because I could wash it easily.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi SchoonerBum,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
SchoonerBum

Post by SchoonerBum »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 12:32 pm
Hi SchoonerBum,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you Sal! This is an amazing community that you all have built.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

A Temperance would be great! Cruwear? Magnacut?
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Let's not forget the blade is pretty wide so making a big slab out of exotic steel makes it more expensive for the end line user. I know a lot of people are very interested in high performance steel but i think we should not forget that the Temp 1 was a user blade and we should try to keep it affordable for the average soldier, cop, outdoorsman or fisherman.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:58 am
Hi Jim,

I asked for gray FRN, red trainer and a new steel. Any preferences on steel for the live blade. The trainer would be 420J2.

sal
I'm really excited about this news! 👍
sal

Re: Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by sal »

This maker has not used many exotic steels before. It might e VG-10?

sal