Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sal

Re: Any more thrue MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by sal »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 3:33 am
Cliff Stamp used to say that the Temp 1 was the most comfortable Spydie fixed blade that he owned...
And he had huge hands as well...
Hi Stuart,

The original Temperance was one of those that I hand carved out of wood.

sal
Jim Malone

Re: Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by Jim Malone »

For me VG10 works fine. I love the stuff. Been using it for years and bought a wharncliff SE Endela some time ago and i don't doubt it's ability to do the job. Did it on the past so why change a winning team?
Last edited by Jim Malone on Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Is this what we are talking about?
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Is this model full tang?
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I am way more excited about MBC folders than fixed blades but that’s just me, I am open to being in the minority
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sal you designed a knife that I very much enjoy but ever since I got it I have had the thought that if you slightly modified the tip, changed the stock thickness, and put an edge on both sides of the blade you would have the ultimate fixed blade defense knife that worked in forward and reverse grip, edge in AND edge out.

I would actually like to see it made so I wasn't sure I should mention what knife it is on the forum. Should I email you? Or just post it here?

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Matt,

If it's one of my designs, you can post it here.

We probably wouldn't make a double edged model, especially if it has to be imported. Illegal.

sal
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

twinboysdad wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 4:13 pm
Is this model full tang?
Nope. The FRN is molded directly onto a notched partial stick tang. Some people think that is insufficiant, but I say they are wrong. It is plenty strong, very durable and you'd be unlikely to survive anything that would damage it.

VG-10 would be fine with me, maybe with a black coating. I won't miss the serrated version again.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Alright here it is....

Ever since I got my Z-cuts, I can't pick one up without flipping it to reverse grip and thinking what a good reverse edge knife it would make. The ergos are perfect for it. Just add a thicker blade stock, modify the tip a little to make it more stabby. I'd make it full tang with G-10 slabs contured exactly like the Kitchen version with the nice rounded edges and hollow ground middle.

If Double Edged isn't possible for legal reasons, a saber grind reverse edge would be ideal. Or maybe keep the dagger grind with a false edge.

What do ya think?

dan31

Post by dan31 »

I would second the LC200n. I’m not sure how hard it is to heat treat. Sal and his crew know best what the makers is capable of delivering. My favorite Japanese steel is HAP40. If it’s clad it maybe serves as a good knife for many users.
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 6:03 pm
We probably wouldn't make a double edged model, especially if it has to be imported. Illegal.
How do companies like Boker and Steel Will get away with it? I have many double-edged daggers that were produced in other countries, marketed and distributed by major manufacturers, and sold in the open by reputable USA dealers.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Boker is German. Importation and manufacturing could be two different things. I know Spyderco had problems with the Janisong in the past because importation of a balisong is/was apparently illegal in the USA. How other companies do it is a big question for me. Spyderco has always been very strict in their ethical behaviour and doing things in the gray area could pose legal trouble apart from some of their customer base being law enforcement. Double edged blades are illegal in a lot of countries and Spyderco might steer clear from the legal hornets nest these might pose.
I don't know if my English makes sence sometimes....
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

"Once bitten, twice shy". Spyderco has run afoul of the law before and paid the price, so now they are watched more closely than "other companies". They have always tried to do things right, and in that case they found out that "right" and "like everyone else" are not the same thing.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’ll just say that laws are not equally applied and leave it at that.

For automatic knives, final assembly is done in the US or is made by a US based contract manufacturer. Perhaps Daggers and balisongs are done similarly?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

I'm aware of Spyderco's past legal troubles with imported balisongs. Balisongs are not double-edged fixed blades.

Cold Steel imports many thousands of double-edged daggers from Taiwan. Steel Will imports double-edged daggers from Italy. Boker has double-edged daggers manufactured in Germany and China, and exports them to the USA. Fox, Extrema Ratio, Bastinelli, the list goes on. Why would the FTC and customs not pursue action against the ongoing and flagrant violations of all of these other companies? Why would every other knife company choose to openly violate the law? All of these manufacturers are reputable.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I don't know, you have to ask Spyderco. Matt, maybe you could send your knife to a good knife smith who could grind your blade into the blade shape you would like? I like it. Looks a lot like the fixed blades Dirk Pinkerton makes. Check his Smilodon model.
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

Spyderco does already manufacture knives that you can not possess or carry in most states, like the Autonomy. Even longer folders like the Endura have been illegal to carry in some jurisdictions. The difference between the Autonomy and a double bladed push dagger is it is safer for those who can own it, isn't viewed by the general public as something associated only with criminality, and could be used in different roles by law enforcement or armed forces. I am fine if Spyderco doesn't want to enter that arena, whether it is legal risk or just not the vision for their brand. Anyways users who want a spyderco that is capable of being used in lawful SD are not lacking for options currently.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 7:39 pm
Jim Malone wrote: I don't know, you have to ask Spyderco. Matt, maybe you could send your knife to a good knife smith who could grind your blade into the blade shape you would like? I like it. Looks a lot like the fixed blades Dirk Pinkerton makes. Check his Smilodon model.
I'll check him out. If Spyderco didn't want to make this I'd need a custom maker to start from scratch. The Z-cuts are far too thin for this kind of knife. Though I have seen plenty of people repurpose victorinox and spyderco pairing knives into reverse edge knives.

Accutron

Post by Accutron »

spydergoat wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:20 am
Spyderco does already manufacture knives that you can not possess or carry in most states, like the Autonomy.
The Autonomy and other full size automatics are currently legal to open carry in 36 states, soon to be 37.
sal

Post by sal »

I cannot answer the "why" question. It seems like Justice and law and order in the USA is selective?

Illegal immigration? Dishonest politicians? Open crime and theft by many? Public use of illegal drugs? Daily murders in Chicago? Riots left to run free? Corruption?

Spyderco always tries to do the right things for the right reasons, We followed Federal law when we imported Butterfly parts, processed them and assembled them in the US. The leader in the "raid" said; "You can fight us if you want, but we are the Government. We have a lot of money. If you lose, there is a mandatory 5 year imprisonment in a Federal penitentiary for you". "Big Brother" may be a bastard, but Big Brother is Big!

Maybe someone in a position of power didn't like us? I think the locals knew what was going on. The raid never made the local newspapers or TV news. We make autos and butterfly's in the US and sell them according to federal law, even though I can purchase an auto from another company, ship it to me across state lines (illegal) with no issues.

Maybe you can answer the "why"?

sal