Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zuludelta

Re: Any more thrue MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 1:58 am
Hi Jim,

I asked for gray FRN, red trainer and a new steel. Any preferences on steel for the live blade. The trainer would be 420J2.

sal
I've been waiting for the FRN LT3 for a while now, but knowing that a trainer is also in the works is just awesome. The LT3 is one of my top 3 favourite Spyderco designs, and I'm really glad that it's getting a second chance.

As for steel suggestions for the live blade, is TiCN-coated VG10 in plain edge a feasible option? It would offer decent edge retention & ease of maintenance whilst allaying corrosion concerns for those who carry IWB.
sal

Re: Any more true MBC knives in the pipeline

Post by sal »

Hi Zuludelta,

That discussion was in reference to a resurrection of the original Temperance fixed blade. At this time, we have not planned a trainer for the LT3. Sorry. Want to see reaction first.

sal
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

sal wrote:
Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:56 pm
Hi Zuludelta,

That discussion was in reference to a resurrection of the original Temperance fixed blade. At this time, we have not planned a trainer for the LT3. Sorry. Want to see reaction first.

sal
Ah, that should teach me to read the full thread LOL. A trainer for the original Temperance (and
a return of the live blade) is still awesome news to me, though! I missed out on the original release & it's impossible to find one on the secondary market at a sane price (I've thought of getting a Jumpmaster 2 as a substitute, but it wouldn't be the same).
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

I'd really love to see a Spyderco Bayonet / general purpose military knife.

There is currently little in the way of 'modern bayonet,' making it a cool niche. Traditional bayonets have poor handle ergonomics, mediocre blade steels, and poor edge geometry. So a high end spyderco bayonet would have little competition.

I'd like to see something like a Spydercoized version of the M7 Bayonet dagger. Very crude sketch I just did in two minutes:

Basic goals:

-Double edged blade 6-7"
-One edge full Spyderedge serrations, one edge plain, to allow the user to have both edge types for field tasks (think like a fixed blade Dyad concept)
-Deep and thin hollow grind to allow dagger blade to still have good edge geometry
-Integration of dual thumb ramps for more Spyderco like ergonomics
-General Spyderco magic on the handle to improve ergonomics and traction
-Bayonet mount

The double edged, one side serrated one side plain, I think is something that would really make it tremendously useful as a field knife. Especially for users without the ability to sharpen.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Bump....😅
bmstrong

Post by bmstrong »

Would love to see a post, podcast or video update on the MicroJimbo from Janich!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

mark greenman wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:31 am

There is currently little in the way of 'modern bayonet,' making it a cool niche. Traditional bayonets have poor handle ergonomics, mediocre blade steels, and poor edge geometry. So a high end spyderco bayonet would have little competition.

I'd like to see something like a Spydercoized version of the M7 Bayonet dagger. Very crude sketch I just did in two minutes:

Basic goals:

-Double edged blade 6-7"
-One edge full Spyderedge serrations, one edge plain, to allow the user to have both edge types for field tasks (think like a fixed blade Dyad concept)
-Deep and thin hollow grind to allow dagger blade to still have good edge geometry
-Bayonet mount

The double edged, one side serrated one side plain, I think is something that would really make it tremendously useful as a field knife. Especially for users without the ability to sharpen.
I'm all for a 4V copy of the M7 Bayonet, but would want a plain edge version.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Naperville wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 11:11 am
mark greenman wrote:
Fri Apr 22, 2022 9:31 am

Basic goals:

-Double edged blade 6-7"
-Bayonet mount

I'm all for a 4V copy of the M7 Bayonet, but would want a plain edge version.
Blade steel poses an interesting question.

It would need to be a blade steel with a fair amount of impact / shock / flex resistance in order to be used as a bayonet to reduce risk of blade snapping. When attached to the rifle, the blade essentially has a 3' lever working against it, and it will be employed by a 15-200lb man charging toward another 150-200lb man. It also has to survive training, where it will be jammed into car tires:

Eickhorn uses 55Si7 Spring Steel at 51-53 to reduce snapping potential - too much of a good thing in my book.

Extrema Ratio - which recently won the French Army Bayonet Contract for 100k + bayonets for their new HK416s, uses N690 at 58rc, spec'd to resist 150kg of load.

https://extremaratio.com/prodotto/fulcr ... k/?lang=en

So the blade steel needs to be shatter / break resistant.

Ease of sharpening would also be a plus, as would a steel of reasonable cost, given the size of bayonet.

I'm not a steel guy, not sure how 4V stacks up in those categories.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I doubt extrema ratio will ask that amount for 100.000 bayonets. They won't need to sell any more folders to the Italian Special Forces after that French contract. I hope the French Soldier will appreciate their expensive new toys....German rifles with Italian bayonets...the French sure have changed. There used to be a saying " the French copy everyone, but nobody copies the French".
mark greenman

Post by mark greenman »

Jim Malone wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:15 pm
I doubt extrema ratio will ask that amount for 100.000 bayonets. They won't need to sell any more folders to the Italian Special Forces after that French contract. I hope the French Soldier will appreciate their expensive new toys....German rifles with Italian bayonets...the French sure have changed. There used to be a saying " the French copy everyone, but nobody copies the French".
Ah, turns out I had misidentified the bayonet, its the (still quite expensive $250 ) Eickhorn SG2000.

https://www.eickhorn-solingen.de/epages ... cts/800120

It's the CZ Bren 2 that uses a modified version of the Fulcrum bayonet.
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

I can't see the U.S. Military spending the money to equip all their forces with a fancy bayonet. At best it might get a NSN # and be an allowable item for Specialized units. In an instance where your typical soldier is issued a bayonet, they'd then have 2 bayonets. Most will say screw it and leave the fancy bayonet/extra weight at home.

And the issue M7 was easy to break. When I went through Basic in '93 a kid broke his bayonet aggressively stabbing a target. The Drill Sgt. made a comment like "Now that's the fighting spirit soldier!". So when it was my turn I purposely added a little torque when I stabbed the target & broke mine. The Drill Sgt. said "OK, good job, but the next soldier that breaks a bayonet will have it deducted from their pay."
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Any news on the gray handled Temperance Sal?
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Jim,

The order is just going in now. It will be a while.

I just approved of the Lil' Temperance 3 in frn with handle made from the mold.

sal
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Very cool
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Looking forward to this.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

Nice, fantastic news
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

Looking forward to it.
Jim Malone

Post by Jim Malone »

I'm thinking the Little Temperance 3 should be inducted in the list of true MBC knives. I always liked to own and use stuff that have a hidden tactical reason for it. Maybe it's because of my former job as a LEO but we worked in civvies a lot. You could blend in more and get close to your target before grabbing him, extricate and arrest him before his buddies realize someone is gone. Or having a fake gold seller offering me gold when on a observation of a target. I have been arrested as a street bum by a different unit when observing. And that is the role of the LT3. Innocious looking but capable. Low profile. A no nonsense user. Nothing tooo fancy
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Jim Malone wrote:
Tue Jul 05, 2022 2:29 pm
I'm thinking the Little Temperance 3 should be inducted in the list of true MBC knives. I always liked to own and use stuff that have a hidden tactical reason for it. Maybe it's because of my former job as a LEO but we worked in civvies a lot. You could blend in more and get close to your target before grabbing him, extricate and arrest him before his buddies realize someone is gone. Or having a fake gold seller offering me gold when on a observation of a target. I have been arrested as a street bum by a different unit when observing. And that is the role of the LT3. Innocious looking but capable. Low profile. A no nonsense user. Nothing tooo fancy
I have assumed the LT3 is MBC-rated. Did I miss something?
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

It was my, possibly mistaken, belief that all Temperance and Lil-Temp knives were MBC knives.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001