Is the Sage 5 LW actually better than the Para 3 LW? A side-by-side comparison and use diary.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Is the Sage 5 LW actually better than the Para 3 LW? A side-by-side comparison and use diary.

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

It is very frequently reported in the knife world that the Sage 5 LW does everything the Para 3 LW does but better. I've been carrying and using a Para 3 LW for the last 6 months and this knife has genuinely been the knife that has killed my desire to buy other knives. Whenever I see some knife I might potentially enjoy, I ask myself "ok but how would it improve on my Para 3 LW" and usually the answer is "it won't" so I haven't really been buying knives at the pace I used to.

That being said I started a new job recently and have some disposable income, and people keep saying "if you love the para 3 you'll love the sage 5 more" so I went ahead and bought the BHQ-exclusive M4 Sage 5 with a TiCN-coated blade, mostly because I don't care for S30V and I don't care for black-handled knives, and I didn't already have an M4 knife, so it checked a bunch of boxes at once.

This thread is going to be a side-by-side comparison and use diary about the two knives in order to give other people who are making the choice between the two models more information to help make their choice.

Let's start with a few thousand words:

In the most basic analysis the knives are extremely similar: 3" blade compression lock knives with an opening hole and a forward finger choil. They are both essentially knives that represent the "spyderco recipe" for a good useful knife, compression lock flavor.

You can see a lot of the smaller differences from the pictures, the Sage 5 offers a bit more cutting edge length with a bit less handle length, but the handle doesn't have the "hook" at the pinky end that people with larger hands report can interfere with a comfortable grip, potentially giving more useful hand area. The handle on the Sage 5 is more "squared off" versus the Para 3 that has very curved edges. The FRN texture is also quite different: the Sage 5 has a significantly grippy texture, where the Para 3 is quite smooth.

The blade stock on the Sage 5 is thinner than the Para 3 as well. When I measure both blades behind the edge my Sage 5 is 0.023" where my Para 3 is 0.032". This should in theory result in the Sage 5 cutting well.

With the context that I have been using the Para 3 for much longer, and am thus much more familiar with it, let's talk about how these differences play in carry and use. Also keep in mind that all of the differences I'm discussing are *minute.* Both knives really do function very similarly.

In carry, I find that both knives are fairly unobtrusive, though the rounded corners on the Para 3 does allow the hand to slip in and out of the pocket a bit easier when grasping a phone. The para 3 is also a fraction of an ounce lighter, which I find does make it "disappear" a bit more.

When deploying the Sage 5 I find it sticks in the pocket a bit more, I think due to the FRN texture, so it requires a little more effort to pull out. It also has a slightly weaker detent, so while I have basically never failed to fully deploy my Para 3, the Sage 5 will fail to fully extend and lock on occasion. Also while my Para 3 LW is *buttery* smooth, the Sage 5 has a *very slight* rough feeling when walking the blade out. The deployment issue I'm sure will work itself out as I get used to having to give it a little more oomph and the Sage 5 breaks in, but I would still say that the Para 3 LW has the edge for ease of deployment.

When using the knives to cut cardboard (my most common cutting task that actually tests a blade's cutting ability), I find that the Sage 5 is just a bit better. Again, it is a small bit, and I think the Para 3 does the job just fine, but the Sage 5 has the edge here.

Ergonomically I find the Para 3 LW handle fills my hand out a bit better, and the rounded corners and light weight make it feel more like an extension of my hand rather than an object in my hand. I also have relatively small hands and almost always use the choil. The shallower thumb ramp does feel a bit better than the very steep thumb ramp of the Para, but I think the Para has the edge here.

When stowing the knife, I find the spring tension on the Sage 5 lock bar to be significantly higher. Additionally the lock bar is rounded at the top in a way that the Para 3 isn't, and the lockbar cutout is slightly smaller, the sum of which means that I feel significant pressure on the tip of my finger when disengaging the Sage 5 lock. Both blades swing closed readily when the lock is compressed, although the pivot bushing on the Sage does make it fully close *slightly* more reliably. The Para 3 had a bit of lock stick back when I first purchased it, but the lockbar is now fully effortless to use. The Para 3 does require not having a full grip on the knife for the blade to swing free due to the lack of liners, which when combined with the smooth scale texture has resulted in me dropping the knife while closing a couple of times. The rougher FRN texture on the Sage 5 does again make it a bit more effort to return to my pocket. This category is one of those places where I think the Sage 5 functions a little bit more reliably, whereas the Para 3 functions more effortlessly.

So thus far I am fairly happy with the Sage 5, and I will continue using it to see how my experiences change as it breaks in, but I also cannot immediately conclude that the Sage 5 is actually a straight upgrade compared to the Para 3 LW. The Sage costs more, and while it functions well, it does not function as *effortlessly* as I find my Para 3 LW does. My Para 3 LW truly offers the "it disappears until you need to use it" experience in a way that the Sage 5 does not.
Last edited by metaphoricalsimile on Fri Apr 15, 2022 10:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sharp Guy

Re: Is the Sage 5 LW actually better than the Para 3 LW? A side-by-side comparison and use diary.

Post by Sharp Guy »

There's things I like about both. So I'll continue to enjoy owning both
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Tristan_david2001

Re: Is the Sage 5 LW actually better than the Para 3 LW? A side-by-side comparison and use diary.

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

I’ve handled and used both a fair bit, currently only own the para3. I favor ergonomics of the sage model mainly for its less aggressive thumb ramp. Both blades perform just as well in my experience, the difference is super marginal to me in which cuts better, both get the job done. Aesthetically I love spydercos leaf shape blades over their modified clip-spyder point blade shape
:bug-red-white
z1r

Post by z1r »

Love reading what people like better about certain knives and why. thanks.

Me, I actually prefer the sage. But, because they are so similar and because I got my para 3 before I got my Mint Sage, I actually carry it more.

In fairness, because I haven't carried or used my Sage much, I can't offer useful feedback on cutting ability, etc. The action on my Sage vs my Para 3 is head and shoulders better. I also feel that the few times I did carry it, it did a better job of disappearing in my pocket. It also fits my hand better, just seems more comfortable. Despite all that, I still have it stored away in its box while the Para 3 gets intermittent use. My Sage deploys easily and un-deploys just as easily. The Para 3 not as much. Also, my Sage is tight, no side to side play of the blade at the pivot but my Para 3 has play. Trying to eliminate the play results in not being able to flick it open.
metaphoricalsimile

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 3:33 pm
Love reading what people like better about certain knives and why. thanks.

Me, I actually prefer the sage. But, because they are so similar and because I got my para 3 before I got my Mint Sage, I actually carry it more.

In fairness, because I haven't carried or used my Sage much, I can't offer useful feedback on cutting ability, etc. The action on my Sage vs my Para 3 is head and shoulders better. I also feel that the few times I did carry it, it did a better job of disappearing in my pocket. It also fits my hand better, just seems more comfortable. Despite all that, I still have it stored away in its box while the Para 3 gets intermittent use. My Sage deploys easily and un-deploys just as easily. The Para 3 not as much. Also, my Sage is tight, no side to side play of the blade at the pivot but my Para 3 has play. Trying to eliminate the play results in not being able to flick it open.
This is mildly off-topic, but I found early on that the key to a smooth action with no side-to-side play on the Para 3 LW is to favor tightening the washer side of the blade.
z1r

Post by z1r »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:04 pm

This is mildly off-topic, but I found early on that the key to a smooth action with no side-to-side play on the Para 3 LW is to favor tightening the washer side of the blade.
You know, I was think this the other day. I will give it a try and appreciate the advice. :crossed-fingers
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:42 pm
I'm not familiar with Para 3's but but the handle doesn't look straight. Also what is the curved protrusion into the space between the scales? Are those things normal with Para 3's? I remember hearing about issues with centering a while back.
Attachments
h9pnz7A.jpeg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i guess it's alright... if you want to send your money to china instead of america.

:rofl

i'm just kidding. i love my taichung knives. i want a sage lw really bad. in the right steel (not that there's anything wrong with s30v), i'm definitely buying one.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Road Tripper

Post by Road Tripper »

Thank you metaphoricalsimile, I really enjoy these kind of side-by-side comparisons. I hope you'll keep sharing updates.
metaphoricalsimile

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:59 pm
Thu Apr 14, 2022 1:42 pm
I'm not familiar with Para 3's but but the handle doesn't look straight. Also what is the curved protrusion into the space between the scales? Are those things normal with Para 3's? I remember hearing about issues with centering a while back.
The curved protrusion is structural, I would guess intended to reduce flex in the linerless handle. I haven't even noticed that the scale bows outward slightly before, but upon inspection it sure does! Neither of the Para 3 LWs I purchased were centered, but I wouldn't call it an "issue" because it doesn't affect the function of the knife in the slightest.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Great write up! Thanks for sharing
bjz

Post by bjz »

Yes, thanks! One of these days I’ll pick up a sage lw.
z1r

Post by z1r »

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:29 pm
Thu Apr 14, 2022 4:04 pm

You know, I was think this the other day. I will give it a try and appreciate the advice. :crossed-fingers
metaphoricalsimile, I gave it a go and things are much better, still not as satisfying as the Sage was as received, but somrthing I can live with. I appreciate the kick in the butt. Certainly appreciate the confirmation of my suspicions!
z1r

Post by z1r »

bjz wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:27 pm
I think you'll like it. I certainly do.
metaphoricalsimile

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:22 pm

metaphoricalsimile, I gave it a go and things are much better, still not as satisfying as the Sage was as received, but somrthing I can live with. I appreciate the kick in the butt. Certainly appreciate the confirmation of my suspicions!
I go so far as to entirely tighten down the washer side then use the non-washer side to dial it in. It doesn't affect the (poor) centering much at all. Anyways this kind of stuff is why I think the Para 3 LW is more of a tinkerer's knife, because out of the box it's never as good as it can be if you mess around with it.

Anyways, glad I could give you the impetus to try the idea out. Having this deep familiarity with the Para is for sure coloring how I view the Sage and I hope that my initial write-up was reflective of that.
metaphoricalsimile

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 5:13 pm
i'm just kidding. i love my taichung knives. i want a sage lw really bad. in the right steel (not that there's anything wrong with s30v), i'm definitely buying one.
Yeah, that's one of the benefits of the Para 3 LW is that you're more likely to be able to find it in a steel you're interested in. My "keeper" is the Blade HQ S90V one because I think it's a pretty ideal steel for my day-to-day use. As far as the Sage 5 goes I think your options are currently S30V and M4 and maybe sometimes maxamet if you can find it in stock and enjoy/don't mind a liner lock. FWIW I'm *very* into the combo of mint green and TiCN coating on the BHQ exclusive.
bjz

Post by bjz »

z1r wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 9:23 pm
bjz wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 7:27 pm
I think you'll like it. I certainly do.
I’m due time! It is kind of an ideal combo of design queues from many of my favorites all rolled into one…I just didn’t realize it until I had a bunch of those others! I literally had one in hand at the knife joker while on a road trip, and it was rad! But just as rad was the alcyone (another model very much on my radar), which is what I went home with. Ultimately, budget was the deciding factor this go around but if it weren’t I would have gone home with both (plus a polestar and Caribbean 🤦🏼)

Part of me is waiting to see if other colors or stainless options come around. I live in a wet region. Lately I’ve started to figure out s30v and appreciate its edge holding ability, once a good edge is achieved, but I prefer easier to sharpen steels.
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’ve owned and used both extensively and to be honest, it’s not even close in my opinion (unless the Para 3 ergonomic suits your hand in some outstanding way). It’s not because the Para 3 is bad by any means, quite the opposite…it’s just that the Sage is such a knockout home run. Every time I carry one of mine, I can’t help but take note of its perfection.

I would love to see more options for the sage 5 lw…I would buy them all, sight unseen. That might be the only knife model I can say that for.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
z1r

Post by z1r »

FWIW, the centering on my LW Para3 is spot on. My only real issue was it wasn't as fidgety as I wanted which is actually funny because I don't really care for fidgety knives that much. My daily carry consists of a ZDP DF2 and a K390 Endela, neither of which have any real fidget factor to speak of. So, despite that, my reason for buying the Para 3 LW was 1) the Rex45 blade and 2) the fidget factor. When it turned out to be more difficult to deploy than anticipated, that clouded my judgment. The reality is, now that the blade play has been rectified, it's a much better knife. I will never really love it, but neither will I get rid of it. It does what it is supposed to.

Silly as it seems, I really like the blade shape on the Sage better. Probably explains why I like the Chap so much and the DF2. For me, discussions like this tend to highlight the aspects of a knife that may make it more attractive to one user and less so for another. With some exceptions, there aren't too many BAD knives, at least Spydercos anyway.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Native 5 is imo superior to both, and look better too. Nice thread still, was a joy to read =D