pro tip...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
yablanowitz

Re: pro tip...

Post by yablanowitz »

I misplaced my C44 Dyad at work, laid it aside while I was working on something in the shop, phone rang so I had to go do three other things before I got back to the one I was doing. Didn't notice until the next morning when I was transferring pocket contents to the new day's pants. It took me three days of backtracking and searching and I had actually given it up as gone for good when I finally found it. It sucks getting old and forgetful.

My girlfriend's couch also has a habit of picking my pockets.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:33 pm
...when you are using your favorite knife to open a package, don't set it down
There are a lot of circumstances when you want to be careful when and where you set down a knife, and a lot of reasons not to set down your knife. I try to be really careful with my knives and other tools.

Years ago I was on a fishing trip and opened some packages then set my knife down on the table. I looked around to find the knife and my uncle with no inhibitions had picked it up to scrape the inside of a large cast iron pot. It didn't really damage the knife but it took me a long time to get it sharp again, that was before I knew how to sharpen properly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

With my wife in the picture I'm mostly buying H1 or similar steels nowadays. She will just toss whatever she has into a drawer, the washing machine, wherever there is a place, without even realizing she is doing it. She thinks she is putting things away and straightening up. I've had a number of knives washed, lost, then found where she had chucked in a junk drawer, a knife drawer, a clothes drawer, etc. Once she threw one of my knives in the kitchen garbage along with whatever she was cutting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

another pro tip and lost and found story...

if you are a florida boy at heart (or any other kind of weirdo that changes in your car), take loose knives out of your pockets before taking off your pants.

i was changing out of work clothes and into workout clothes in my car. i had been carrying my squarehead in my pocket that day. when i checked my pocket the next day for the squarehead, it was gone. i figured it had fallen out when i was changing and was probably just sitting in my car. i went and searched the car but couldn't find it. i realized it was possible that it may have fallen out of my pocket when carrying my clothes from the car later or that it may have fallen on the floor of my car and then been dropped out of the car at some point. i was pretty upset since the knife is discontinued and can't be purchased anymore, and while i really like the knife, it wasn't worth it to replace it. anyway, i looked in my car a few times, but never found it.

well, that changed tonight. i was cleaning out the car and there it was. i figured it would've been in the back seat because that's where i threw my pants, but it was under the driver's seat floor mat. it must've fallen out when i took the pants off and before i put them in the back seat. not sure how it worked itself under the mat, but i was really happy to find it.

and before anyone thinks i'm disgusting, i clean my car, but it's an off-road vehicle, so i don't worry about deep cleaning the floors, or even vacuuming. it's not as gross as it sounds. stop judging me. this is a happy story.

squarehead lw
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:28 pm
if you are a florida boy at heart (or any other kind of weirdo that changes in your car), take loose knives out of your pockets before taking off your pants.
😂 What are you talking about? 😂 I'm a Tampa boy, and I've never heard of such things. We change out in public for everyone to run and scream.

I'm glad you found your squarhead. It's a pretty cool model.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

I was a teenager and hunting with my dad. He shot a doe and we were field dressing her in a ditch by the side of the road with his trusty shrade old timer. It was dark and cold and not till we got home we realized knife was missing...

Next year hunting same farm I shot a doe and while dragging her down to same ditch I look down and find that old knife... had a bit of rust and some critter chewed on the sheath, but now 30 years later I love that old knife.

This past deer season my while helping my daughter skin and quarter up her deer she shot I lost this same knife again in the grass where we were butchering... took 30 minutes and finally had to get a rake and rake up the grass to find it...

My oldest will hopefully get her own chance to lose it someday... She's lost her native twice but has found it both times. Never once lost her Byrd I got her a a first knife go figure.
Attachments
Resized_20220804_214513.jpeg
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JestersHK wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:08 pm
it's always crazy when knives disappear and then find their way back to us. your story is much cooler than mine though.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 8:33 pm
...The thought of such an amazing knife sitting in a landfill makes me feel ill.

Gaaaaah! Nightmare fuel. I gotta stop reading this forum at night.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I lost my first three Spydercos, but none since (knock on wood).

Here’s what I’ve learned:
- Check the integrity of your pocket clip each morning before you clip your knife into your pocket.
- Always loctite the clip screws on a new knife.
- Watch out for seatbelts.
- Don’t put your knife down - always back in the pocket.
- Empty out your backpack after every hike, weekend, or other adventure.
- Double check your pockets before you leave a given location, especially if you’re on a long distance road trip.
- Don’t ever tell the USPS what’s in your package, even if they ask nicely.

I don’t know where my first Stretch and Dragonfly went. I lost my first PM2 in a particularly comfy booth seat at an Illegal Pete’s in Denver. I knew the clip was loose, but didn’t have a bit with me (road trip). By the time I realized it was gone they were closed, and no one could find it the next morning.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It is so easy to get distracted and forget what you did with your Spyderco blade. I've made it a habit to immediately fold it up and clip it to my pocket. It is a bit of a time consuming hassle to do it that way but it's one way I won't lose one again. Over the years I've lost probably 4 of my Spyders and it's absolutely gut-wrenching when it happens. I'm still grieving over losing my G-10 Harpy some time back ( 4 years). I've tried and tried to find a replacement but so far no cigar. And it was due to my own carelessness by letting a jerk who was working for us have the opportunity to run off with it.

It really angered me badly when I found out that he sold it for about what a pack of cigarettes cost. And I won't loan one of my blades to hardly anyone. Except two people I would trust with my life. But they both have their own Spyders now anyway. It is so easy to get distracted to the point to where you just lose sight of what you did with it last. I really miss that G-10 Harpy so much. Never again!!