Interesting 440V Military and Civilian - neither on Spydiewiki

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MournfulCongregant

Interesting 440V Military and Civilian - neither on Spydiewiki

Post by MournfulCongregant »

I recently have purchased a few older Spydercos, neither of which is on the Spydiewiki. I was wondering if anyone knew anything about them, and thinking I should help document them. I was looking for a reason to get a Millie when I know the comp lock Military 2 is coming out, and there are barely any S30V Millies around, let alone fancier steels. Funny thing is? I have 5, going to be 6, PM2s, and I am generally a fan of larger carries, if there is an XL of it, I prefer that one. So, finding this 440V (S60V) Military was a reason to get one! Classic Spyderco, yeah! Anyone have a take on 440V, or a comparison to a modern steel? I kind of want to put this knife into use...

Anyways!

The first is an ATS-55 Civilian, that looks like it should take it's place right between the listings for the first ATS-55 Civvie and the last GIN-1 one. It has what I THINK is the "3 screw standard" old clip (looks more like a new clip but it has a square and not circle edge), and Phillips screws on the side. Is this correct? Should the listing be updated to account for this model? I think, since it was only catalogued post 2000, that there are a lot of Civvies we may not know about. Is that the case with this, ya guys think?

Civilian clip + Phillips screws

Then, this 440V Military, which has what looks like a normal Torx pivot, small, small, small Torx screws for the scales, and no liner on the right side. Spydiewiki is listing the first 440V Millie as having the "Triangle Military Clip", but, unless this is a Franken-Spydie, I do not think this model is listed. Actually, that was a thought in my head about both, could they be Frankens? Doubtful, at least from the guy who sold it to me, who was second owner.

The Military clip.

No liners on one side of Military - plus, never seen a backspacer like this!

Any info is very much appreciated, thanx much! I'd love to know exactly when the knives are from, if I can, and fill a missing passage of Spyderco history while I'm at it, that Wiki needs some love!
Favorite Spydercos: Police 4 K390 LW, Sage 5 M4 LW, K390 wharncliffe D-fly, Cricket, Crucarta PM2, M4 Micarta Shaman, Dodo.