Micarta Love

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Micarta Love

Post by kennethsime »

Well folks, it’s no secret that I love Micarta. I think it’s just about the perfect material for knife scales, whether on fixed blades or folders. My experience with Micarta started with fixed blade knives, but over he past two years I’ve added quite a bit of Micarta to my folding knife collection.

Let’s discuss.
- What’s your favorite Spyderco with Micarta?
- What model would you like to see released in Micarta?
- What’s your favorite source for aftermarket Micarta scales?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Re: Micarta Love

Post by kennethsime »

Here are my Spydercos with Micarta scales.

From the top:
- Z-Wear Shaman, factory contoured Natural Canvas Micarta
- K390 Stretch, aftermarket contoured Green Canvas Micarta from @suingab
- Cruwear PM2, factory Natural Canvas Micarta
- K390 PM2, aftermarket Green Canvas Micarta from RGT
- K390 Para 3, aftermarket Green Canvas Micarta from RGT
- S30V Para 3, aftermarket Green Canvas Micarta from Allen Putnam

Right now, the K390 PM2 is getting the most pocket time- the deep carry clip definitely helps. Overall, I think I like the contoured micarta on my Stretch and Shaman the best.

I’d love to see a Crucarta Military, or even better, a K390 Military with Green Canvas Micarta. I’d also really like the same treatment for the Lil’ Native Slipjoint. Man, that would be the bee’s knees!

My favorite aftermarket Micarta scales so far have been from RGT. They really feel fantastic, like the knife came that way from the factory. I’m not in love with my Allen Putnam or @suingab scales.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Well I have no Spydercos in Micarta. However, the RGT Micarta scales for the Kapara currently available at DLT are high on my list.

I do agree that Micarta is one of the best scale materials. Feels smooth and warm in hand, but offers great grip when you bear down. Also has a cool worn look.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

My favorite micarta spydercos are the black micarta kopa, burgundy micarta jester, and the black micarta s.p.o.t. I’d love if all three models got rereleased
:bug-red-white
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:15 pm
My favorite micarta spydercos are the black micarta kopa, burgundy micarta jester, and the black micarta s.p.o.t. I’d love if all three models got rereleased
I haven’t tried the older polished Micarta models, but they sure do look awesome. I’d love a Wayne Goddard re-release with green canvas micarta and a nice tool steel.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

JSumm wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:47 pm
Well I have no Spydercos in Micarta. However, the RGT Micarta scales for the Kapara currently available at DLT are high on my list.

I do agree that Micarta is one of the best scale materials. Feels smooth and warm in hand, but offers great grip when you bear down. Also has a cool worn look.
Go for it! I’ve been really happy with my RGT scales - I have a set for my Victorinox Huntsman as well, and they’re great. They even ship them in nice beefy ziplocks, class act all around.

SRT392HEMI

Post by SRT392HEMI »

I have RGT and Knives Plus micarta scales. Both fit perfectly, recommended both. Ripp's are really nice.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 9:17 pm
Tristan_david2001 wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:15 pm
I haven’t tried the older polished Micarta models, but they sure do look awesome. I’d love a Wayne Goddard re-release with green canvas micarta and a nice tool steel.
Oh yeah great pick, that original Wayne Goddard is an excellent design, the old school look really suits micarta as a material I’d say
:bug-red-white
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

I wish there were easily available Micarta scales for the Military. G-10 is a good scale material, but in my opinion Micarta gives a classier, more subtle appearance. Honestly, I'd probably replace some of my carbon fiber scales with Micarta, if it were available for the knives in question.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Added one to the Micarta collection today.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Coastal wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:18 pm
I wish there were easily available Micarta scales for the Military. G-10 is a good scale material, but in my opinion Micarta gives a classier, more subtle appearance. Honestly, I'd probably replace some of my carbon fiber scales with Micarta, if it were available for the knives in question.
Man, ditto. I would love that knife!

Sadly, I think it’s only available as an aftermarket option.

Coastal

Post by Coastal »

My dream knife would be a Stretch 2 XL in MagnaCut and Micarta.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

These are all my Micarta scaled knives, and funny that most of these happen to be favorite knives out of my entire collection.

Not nearly as many as our buddy Ken, but for Spyderco knives it's impossible not to love the feel of a contoured, micarta Shaman. That's a masterpiece!

My Putman scales are pretty spot on, but also my only set I've ever owned. I'm also impressed with the fit and finish on my RGT scales for the Smock. Those are starting to darken a bit now as well.

Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri May 13, 2022 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Call me crazy but I prefer G-10.

Glad I have some Micarta knives for the novelty though. I feel similarly about wood scales.

If I had to rank,
G-10
Smooth G-10
Titanium
Micarta
Bone
Wood
Aluminum

Bone and wood are really beautiful though.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 6:48 pm
My Putman scales are pretty spot on, but also my only set I've ever owned. I'm also impressed with the fit and finish on my RGT scales for the Smock. Those are starting to darken a bit now as well.
The darker Para 3 with the S30V blade in my collection has Putnam scales. I don’t love them because I’ve never been able to get that knife dialed in - presently, the blade is quite off-center and the action is too loose for my liking. I do love the mountain texture on yours.

I had zero trouble with my RGT scales, and I think RGT is all I’ll be buying in the future if I can help it. Actually, I mentioned this in another thread, but my RGT scales (on my K390 Paras) are a dead ringer for the M4 Shaman scales straight from the Spyderco factory. Couldn’t be happier.
Last edited by kennethsime on Fri May 13, 2022 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri May 13, 2022 8:04 pm
Call me crazy but I prefer G-10.

Glad I have some Micarta knives for the novelty though. I feel similarly about wood scales.

If I had to rank,
G-10
Smooth G-10
Titanium
Micarta
Bone
Wood
Aluminum

Bone and wood are really beautiful though.
I think G-10 definitely has its place.

For a tactical knife, where traction is key, I too prefer it. For a working knife, where comfort is key, I like Micarta better. Titanium and aluminum are great with a nice sand blast.

The only wood handle knife I have is an Opinel No. 08 with an olive wood handle. It’s obviously not a work of art, but lightweight and serviceable. I’d sure love to get a fancy fixed blade with a walnut, or California buckeye handle one day. Same for Stag antler, or now that most Stag comes from India, Elk antler.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

@kennethsime, you really put the spotlight on a big gaping hole in my collection, there.
I would love to improve my stats on micarta handled folders, but local options are non existent and ordering from the US has been a bit too exiting and prohibitively expensive lately. Maybe someday, if availability coincides with another purchase, I might try a set og RGT or Putman’s, or both. I love the pics of Rick’s M2 with Putman micarta scales and wouldn’t mind if my rex45 M2 was dressed the same way. I also think some black canvas micarta would be a great addition for my Maxamet P3.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:03 pm
@kennethsime, you really put the spotlight on a big gaping hole in my collection, there.
I would love to improve my stats on micarta handled folders, but local options are non existent and ordering from the US has been a bit too exiting and prohibitively expensive lately. Maybe someday, if availability coincides with another purchase, I might try a set og RGT or Putman’s, or both. I love the pics of Rick’s M2 with Putman micarta scales and wouldn’t mind if my rex45 M2 was dressed the same way. I also think some black canvas micarta would be a great addition for my Maxamet P3.
I buy by RGT Scales from DLT here in the states, and their shipping is always great. I've heard the International shipping is really good too.

My Stretch micarta scales came from @suingab, who is based closer to you in Lithuania, I believe. All custom work, reasonable price. I'm not 100% happy with them (more on that here), but if it was half the price of buying something from RGT with International shipping I'd buy from him again.

Cuscadi is in Germany and make fantastic scales, by all accounts. They are a bit more expensive, but seem to be well worth it.

aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

kennethsime wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:43 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sat May 14, 2022 2:03 pm
I buy by RGT Scales from DLT here in the states, and their shipping is always great. I've heard the International shipping is really good too.

My Stretch micarta scales came from @suingab, who is based closer to you in Lithuania, I believe. All custom work, reasonable price. I'm not 100% happy with them (more on that here), but if it was half the price of buying something from RGT with International shipping I'd buy from him again.

Cuscadi is in Germany and make fantastic scales, by all accounts. They are a bit more expensive, but seem to be well worth it.
Thanks mate!
That’s really good information!
I checked @suingab’s IG before my previous reply, as there wasn’t really a US ring to his IG handle, but I wasn’t able to find info about his location, so figured it was probably US if he didn’t bother to mention it. Then again, I don’t use IG all that much, so maybe the info was right there, and I’m just too dum to find it.

Only heard good things about DLT, so I’ll make a note of that. If I only get the scales from them, I’ll probably have them sent to a forwarding service, so I can consolidate a couple of small packages and save a bit on shipping and processing fees.

Cuscadi was also new to me. Their online shop was down atm, but judging from their showcase pictures and shipping fees this might be a reasonable place to start.
Yesterday was payday, so this info had quite a dangerous timing :grimace