Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by Matus »

I can only agree!
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by Wartstein »

sal wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:39 pm
Well I finally got around to reading this thread. These types if threads take time as I have to think about the possibility of each request and whether or not it's feasible. And Warstein's threads tend to be specific.

Our Taichung factory is really backed up and we're looking at '22 & '23 for new models. The FRN variation requires much less labor and can be more easily made in larger numbers. It's a way of raising capacity.

sal

Thanks, Sal for taking the time - and thinking about the requests here!

- I hope that eventually we´ll at least see the serrated Chap you said you were testing!

+ My layman assumption: This should be the "easiest" to actually produce, because it is "just" about grinding serrations into an otherwise already 100% existing and being in production model - ?
+ And I know that this is just a tiny fraction of the market: But I think folks generally interested in SE would get a Chap with teeth "just" to test SE in a very thin stock and/or in XHP -.?

- And I know, I say this all the time:
But I do think the knife world is ready for a longer blade in 2mm ffg - Endela length and leaf shape is what always comes to my mind - so actually some thin knife along the lines of the Chap, but larger...
And of course Spyderco is THE leading company for going even further in that performance oriented direction, as you do already anyway :smlling-eyes
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Danke

Post by Danke »

Tanto Chappy w/ real teal handles.
T2C

Post by T2C »

even with the genuine XHP steel, i'd like to see some options in handle colors : like the delica ;)
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Bringing this back to the top, just because I missed it a few days ago. Any change in the Chaparral FRN MUST include a Wharnie option! Would look fantastic and cut like a light saber.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Apr 07, 2022 8:39 am
...Any change in the Chaparral FRN MUST include a Wharnie option! Would look fantastic and cut like a light saber.

Yes, it must.. ;)

But this is generally one of "the things" with Chaparral variants: Would be great and interesting to see and experience how (well) certain features work in that thin blade platform: Wharnie, SE, steels that can take a very steep edge angle, even a tanto shape...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ramonade

Post by Ramonade »

I saw older post of Dr. Larrin and I'm interested to see how 3V would fare in a Chaparral's blade. Especially with something like a 12dps sharpening angle.
:respect In the collection :respect : Lots of different steels, in lots of different (and same) Spydercos.

Robin. Finally made an IG : ramo_knives

MNOSD member 004* aka Mr. N5s :face-clouds
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

Another vote for a wharnie with teeth, any steel is fine.
-Turbo
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

bbturbodad wrote:
Fri Apr 08, 2022 7:38 pm
Another vote for a wharnie with teeth, any steel is fine.

I almost never carry two Spydies, but normally just one larger, or, for special occasions (running, lightweight mountaineering) just one smaller one.

But: A wharnie Chaparral SE could be "the" (first) model I´d regularly carry as a secondary blade additionally to a "main" larger EDC folder.
This knife must be capable of things not many others could do equally well - at least that´s what I assume.
Toucan

Post by Toucan »

Pastel (green, purple, blue, etc) FRN and some sort of high carbide carbon steel. I like the regular leaf-shape blade.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

This is one of my favorite models. For this reason, I would keep the same thin build, XHP, and blade shape. The change would be in size. I prefer a blade in the 3.5-4" range. Serrations are not anything I need and even though I live within walking distance of the Atlantic I don't have problems with corrosion.
Sunkirst

Post by Sunkirst »

I’d like to see leaf green, Carolina blue and a rust orange/brown. Hi-vis colors would also be smart.

I’d enjoy a slightly larger size as an option: blade size between 3.0 and 3.3,” but same slimness, shape and blade to handle ratio, and same or similar tough, corrosion resistant steel.
cjk

Post by cjk »

Given that the FRN Chaparral has been referred to as the "utility version" and wharncliffes are considered by a lot of folks to be utility knives, I'd think a PE wharncliffe FRN Chaparral would be a real winner.

I am a wharncliffe fan and find it to be my favorite EDC blade shape. There are few Spyderco knives which I wouldn't be excited about a wharncliffe version. Since the Sage 5 has a FRN option, I wouldn't mind seeing a wharncliffe one of those too. :)
Last edited by cjk on Tue May 24, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cholla_remover

Post by cholla_remover »

Toucan wrote:
Sat Apr 09, 2022 5:36 pm
Pastel (green, purple, blue, etc) FRN and some sort of high carbide carbon steel. I like the regular leaf-shape blade.
Pastels = take my money. I like the idea of a tool steel as well, someone mentioned 3V earlier in this thread.
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

it was mentioned early in this thread; I'm on board for a wharncliffe. PE please. trendy steel like magnacut - but maybe magnacut is a good match for a small thin blade.
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

Cycletroll wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:17 am
S90V and a neutral color FRN.
Given the Chaps thin blade stock S90V would provide enormous performance to size/weight ratio.

I'm with you.

`
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

These threads always crack me up to a certain extent. And no disrespect to anyone. The basic parameters always seem to be colors of scales, steel types, blade shape, blade coating. Most any color change will result in some sales. Pair that with some tool steels. And throw a wharnie in for good measure. So a really good earth tone wharnie coated black blade will absolutely sell out fast. But, what I'd love to see, and probably won't , is a crucarta version. I'd take that before (yes gasp if you'd like) over a MagnaCut version. I do think a salt version would be awesome though.
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

SPY27 and K390 would both garner interest from me.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bemo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:47 pm
.... But, what I'd love to see, and probably won't , is a crucarta version. I'd take that before (yes gasp if you'd like) over a MagnaCut version. I do think a salt version would be awesome though.
You won't hear me gasp but rather wholeheartedly agree... ;)

Like you I'd still like to see a Salt version too. I personally would not need or even get one, but think for many others it would make the model more popular and perhaps more people realize how nice a slim carry is, how well a thin handle still works in hand for normal EDC and outdoor use and how sufficient and superior performing a thinner blade can be... and, yes, perhaps this would bring us closer to an Endela sized Chap XL... :smirk
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 12:42 am
Bemo wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 9:47 pm
.... But, what I'd love to see, and probably won't , is a crucarta version. I'd take that before (yes gasp if you'd like) over a MagnaCut version. I do think a salt version would be awesome though.
You won't hear me gasp but rather wholeheartedly agree... ;)

Like you I'd still like to see a Salt version too. I personally would not need or even get one, but think for many others it would make the model more popular and perhaps more people realize how nice a slim carry is, how well a thin handle still works in hand for normal EDC and outdoor use and how sufficient and superior performing a thinner blade can be... and, yes, perhaps this would bring us closer to an Endela sized Chap XL... :smirk
Endela sized Chap? Hmmm…. I’m interested!