Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bleasure

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by bleasure »

Blnd wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:08 am
Racing green needs to return as an FRN color with a non-zdp189 steel.
hear, here!

if yr gonna do frn, and its the chap, i say go all in. make some swirled out neon blends. nerds package colors - one color either scale. do a fruit stripe variant. glitter in the handle. this is the ONE knife *explicitly* dedicated to looks. make it LOOK
TkoK83Spy

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by TkoK83Spy »

^^^ = :woozy

You sir, are way outta pocket.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
cjk

Post by cjk »

Blnd wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:08 am
I’d like to see more knives in XHP.

Racing green needs to return as an FRN color with a non-zdp189 steel.
I concur. I favor green knives, preferably darker green ones. A FRN color similar to forest green G-10 would be a winner for me. I like XHP and see no reason for blade steel changes given the goal of the model. I'd love to see smooth forest green G-10 as a handle option for the Chaparral.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Me. I'm down with a PE Magnacut version but could easily be talked into a K390 as well. Not opposed to a salt, just please don't make it Yellow. Green would be preferred.
cjk

Post by cjk »

What if the grey FRN was the only FRN Chaparral model, but Spyderco sold FRN Chaparral scales in all the colors of the rainbow? Presumably those parts are quite cheap to produce. Not a custom shop, just baggies with extra scales which the end user could purchase and install for themselves. This would be a cheaper way to have more colors.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cjk wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:05 am
What if the grey FRN was the only FRN Chaparral model, but Spyderco sold FRN Chaparral scales in all the colors of the rainbow? Presumably those parts are quite cheap to produce. Not a custom shop, just baggies with extra scales which the end user could purchase and install for themselves.
Well, since Sal is already TESTING an SE version, at least that one I'd really like to become actually available... :winking-tongue

Grey FRN and XHP as only option, but more blade shapes/configurations (SE, wharnie) plus your different color scale idea would be nice of course (don't think though that Spyderco will ever venture into selling just scales).
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
z1r

Post by z1r »

Just me, but I wouldn't touch a Wharnie Chap with a ten foot pole.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Magnacut salt would be at the top of my list.

I'd love to see a Maxamet variant as well. And/or K390.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

z1r wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:38 am
Why? Looks? Or "against the Chap tradition"? ... I think just functionwise a 2mm ffg wharnie blade must be amazing...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Can't believe I'm going to say this but I'm to the point where it seems like there's too many variations of several models. It's a little overwhelming. We already have models that are very similar and all these different variants only muddy the water more. I've always thought variety was a good thing but I think it can get to the point where there's too many choices. JMO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:31 pm
Can't believe I'm going to say this but I'm to the point where it seems like there's too many variations of several models. It's a little overwhelming. We already have models that are very similar and all these different variants only muddy the water more. I've always thought variety was a good thing but I think it can get to the point where there's too many choices. JMO
Totally agree. All these non stop threads about making EVERYTHING a Salt, Magnacut, Lc200N, SE, 85 frn color options...it's taking the fun out of even being around here lately (mainly because NONE of that stuff interests me in the least)

But it really does seem like a flood of all this stuff lately, when so many of these requested models and changes are all too similar to other models already available or known to be in the works. Does .001 of edge length really matter and require an entirely new model?? (that hasn't been said here, but you know what I mean)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

cjk wrote:
What if the grey FRN was the only FRN Chaparral model, but Spyderco sold FRN Chaparral scales in all the colors of the rainbow? Presumably those parts are quite cheap to produce. Not a custom shop, just baggies with extra scales which the end user could purchase and install for themselves. This would be a cheaper way to have more colors.
With current production pressures I would be unsurprised if all the injection molding machine time were "spoken for" producing scales or components for other knives. Machine time is always one of the more expensive aspects of producing a part so this might be less expensive than you might otherwise assume, because no well-engineered manufacturing process is going to have a lot of extra machine time available.
cjk

Post by cjk »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:51 pm
cjk wrote:
With current production pressures I would be unsurprised if all the injection molding machine time were "spoken for" producing scales or components for other knives. Machine time is always one of the more expensive aspects of producing a part so this might be less expensive than you might otherwise assume, because no well-engineered manufacturing process is going to have a lot of extra machine time available.
Looking through the 2022 catalogue, I only see 2 FRN models made in Taiwan, the FRN Chaparral and the FRN Sage 5. I see 30 models made in Taichung, so that seems kinda unlikely. I acknowledge that the Taichung factory could make more than stuff for Spyderco.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Chaps I would like to see...

Blacked Out FRN LC200N Salts in PE and Wharnie PE
Black Micarta "Cru-carta" in PE and Wharnie PE
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
z1r

Post by z1r »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 12:14 pm
z1r wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:38 am
Why? Looks? Or "against the Chap tradition"? ... I think just functionwise a 2mm ffg wharnie blade must be amazing...
I'm just not a fan of Wharnies and with some exceptions, not that into SE's. I do have several SE blades for specific uses. I carry SE Ladybugs on all my keychains; good for cutting seatbelts, etc.

So, it may surprise you to know that despite not liking Wharnies and Delica's even less, this was my most recent purchase:

Needed a knife in anticipation of opening many boxes and cutting open a lot of packaging. This just felt right, not too big and looks aggressive enough.

The Chap, I like it as is but would certainly welcome a variety of colors and steels. I'd welcome making a SE and or Wharnie version for those that would like one. I just don't see myself being one of those. But you never really know til you have one in hand, do you?
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
Totally agree. ..
Sharp Guy wrote:

1.) Please keep in mind: This thread was actually inspired by Sal saying

" I made the [Chaparral] FRN version because I felt there was a market for a less expensive utility version. This also offers opportunity for colors, exclusive variations and who knows what else."

And so I wanted to collect what people potentially like to see in that regard

2.) No, we actually DON`T" have models that are very similar" [to the Chap FRN]

As said in my original post: The combo of :
- Just 2mm ffg blade (for comparison: Delica, Watu..2.5mm, Centofante 2mm, but sabre hollow), but still very strong
- Strongest Spyderco backlock I know of and completely blade play free
- Extremely thin carry, for that great ergos
- Bomb proof, hard use built quality

.. is unique in Spydercos lineup. And people who are looking for that 2mm ffg superslicey blade, the superslim carry and so on, but for example need more corrosion resistance have no option.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

^ Whatever Warty!! :zany
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MyelinSheath&Borborygmi

Post by MyelinSheath&Borborygmi »

I'd definitely get wharncliffe one. Salt would be great, too. Sprint Run in REX45 with burnt orange scales!!! I wonder if SE hawkbill would be possible...
z1r

Post by z1r »

MyelinSheath&Borborygmi wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 6:48 pm
I wonder if SE hawkbill would be possible...
Hmm, I'm a sucker for Hawkbills! I'd be down with PE too.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I predict many broken serrations with a se chap if it’s also ffg. *gets tomatoes thrown at her*
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb