Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by Wartstein »

SG89 wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2022 8:05 pm
I predict many broken serrations with a se chap if it’s also ffg. *gets tomatoes thrown at her*

:grin-sweat ... but will be interesting to see indeed.
But since Sal says that "he is testing s serrated version and it is performing well" and since the 2.5 mm ffg Delica and Salt SE teeth are holding up well (sure, 2.0 mm IS clearly thinner) I guess we will/would be fine...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
DansGearAddiction

Re: Now that Sal has mentioned that possibility: Chaparral FRN variants? (blade shape, color, steel...) - your proposals

Post by DansGearAddiction »

As a Chap-ficionado, more steel options would be nice, although CTS-XHP is still a wonderful steel and honestly a perfect choice for the knife to begin with.

But what I'd really love to see is just a flat titanium scaled version, like the Sage 2. Simple, unassuming and undoubtedly gentleman. I love my C152TIP, but a flat version would complement it nicely.

It will never happen, but I'd love to see a Chaparral with the UKPK-style FRN pattern (I suffer from eczema, this pattern is much more usable during outbreaks); to my knowledge, no locking Spyderco's use that pattern either.
Current Collection
Chaparral (All Variants), Dragonfly 2 (VG-10), McBee, Sage 5 LW, Slysz Bowie, Stretch 2 (K390), UKPK Salt (LC200N)
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

Second Rex45 and burnt orange.

Just about any tool steel and earth tone will get my vote.
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Haven’t touched my chap lw since summer. This thread made me and I’m still amazed at how awesome this knife is.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

sethwm wrote:
Tue Mar 29, 2022 10:05 pm
Haven’t touched my chap lw since summer. This thread made me and I’m still amazed at how awesome this knife is.

It is, right? And a knife where "thinking out of the box" (of only "gents knife") can really lead to surprising results... not many do. unfortunately, and miss out on a slicey, but still pretty hard use little cutting monster.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

Polished, fluted G10. Like the idea of UKPK/DKPK/Pingo ‘smooth’ frn with colours.
Keep the XHP for continuity’s sake.
Create a ‘new’ model Chappie for the modified blade versions with the option of different steels?
But keep the 2mm thick blade.
Maybe this could be the folding mule for steel, blade shape and edge testing?
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ngati Pom wrote:
Wed Mar 30, 2022 2:27 am
Polished, fluted G10. Like the idea of UKPK/DKPK/Pingo ‘smooth’ frn with colours.
Keep the XHP for continuity’s sake.
Create a ‘new’ model Chappie for the modified blade versions with the option of different steels?
But keep the 2mm thick blade.
Maybe this could be the folding mule for steel, blade shape and edge testing?

I hope you´ll get the handle variants you´re wishing for... not unlikely, after all the Chap still IS the model for displaying different handle materials and versions.

/ Sure, as said: A "new chapp-ish knife" for steel variants, main feature the thin, 2mm and ffg blade would be great too
If it should also serve as a folding mule, it would most likely not be made in Taichung anymore though (just saying, not necessarily a con of course!)
cjk

Post by cjk »

I do like the Chaparral "as is" right now. It's pretty great. The thin blade is a laser. The thinness of the blade reminds me a bit of the slip joints I carried in my youth. Or ones my dad or grandpas might have carried. It's classy. I think all of them would have approved.

Changing the FRN model's scale color periodically might keep that the FRN model fresh.

I would like to see a forest green G-10 version. polished and fluted like suggested above or just polished or peel ply or whatever. If I can find an aftermarket scale maker to make some, I'll take care of the forest green G-10 Chaparral myself. :)

I'd also like to see a smooth Titanium version finished like the Ti side of the Brouwer or Spydiechef.
carrot

Post by carrot »

Chaparral FRN with cricket “reverse S” blade. Serrated of course.
sal

Post by sal »

Well I finally got around to reading this thread. These types if threads take time as I have to think about the possibility of each request and whether or not it's feasible. And Warstein's threads tend to be specific.

Our Taichung factory is really backed up and we're looking at '22 & '23 for new models. The FRN variation requires much less labor and can be more easily made in larger numbers. It's a way of raising capacity.

sal
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I love the xhp so idk that I'd change the steel personally. It's one of my favorite steels for EDC. Serrated might be cool though. I have a thing lately for black blades and brown handles, so I'd buy that albeit might be a bit odd on that knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Wim Anders,

Welcome to our forum

sal
Matus

Post by Matus »

I am also not really after SE wharnie chap, but that’s just me (I consider a wharnie a specific purpose blade shape and chap is a general use EDC).

But to those that are worried about broken serrations - the relevant factor is thickness behind the edge, not stock thickness. So if these will be ground similarly to SE Delica, then the performance will be very similar.

And yes - keeping the knife as is and offer the possibility of getting scales in different color (or simply just white) would be pretty neat.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:04 am
I am also not really after SE wharnie chap, but that’s just me (I consider a wharnie a specific purpose blade shape and chap is a general use EDC).

But wouldn´t the Chap with a wharnie blade not perhaps venture into that "specific purpose" area?

And people who appreciate a wharnie blade or who might profit much from its properties (warehouse setting...) could also get that exceptional performance of the thin ,ffg chap blade?

A slim, unnoticable carry with still good ergos would not hurt in that setting (and generally) too...
Ngati Pom

Post by Ngati Pom »

carrot wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:04 pm
Chaparral FRN with cricket “reverse S” blade. Serrated of course.
I’d be happy to see the “reverse S” applied to almost any established :bug-red FRN knives.
The Chaparral handle would be perfect.
Also DLC on the Chaparral to reduce oxidation on XHP.
'The future is already here;it's just not evenly distributed'
William Gibson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Sat Apr 02, 2022 10:57 pm
I love the xhp so idk that I'd change the steel personally. It's one of my favorite steels for EDC. Serrated might be cool though. I have a thing lately for black blades and brown handles, so I'd buy that albeit might be a bit odd on that knife.

I love XHP too, don´t need anything different personally!

But I´d also love to see more people experiencing the Chap and its thin blade... and there are quite some who want / need more corrosion resistance in their folders...
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:09 am
Matus wrote:

But wouldn´t the Chap with a wharnie blade not perhaps venture into that "specific purpose" area?

And people who appreciate a wharnie blade or who might profit much from its properties (warehouse setting...) could also get that exceptional performance of the thin ,ffg chap blade?

A slim, unnoticable carry with still good ergos would not hurt in that setting (and generally) too...
Well, we could have this discussion until the end of times, but I actually think that bringing nearly every knife model in all possible blade configurations takes resources away from new interesting project Spyderco may have up its sleeve. And for what it's worth - if I would were in a situation where I need a working wharncliff knife (and I can well imagine people actually do find themselves in that situation), I would surely want something more substantial that can well be used with gloves, etc.

I mean for all means - if there is enough interest that Sypderco should (and eventually most likely will) bring a wharnie Chap. But holding the k390 Urban in my hand right now (similar in size and blade shape to a Chap) I don't see how having it as a wharnie would improve its general use for me. And most that it does is opening packages and even slicing boxes (if I am too lazy to search for my k390 PM2).

Just my personal view.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:53 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:09 am
Matus wrote:
Well, we could have this discussion until the end of times, but I actually think that bringing nearly every knife model in all possible blade configurations takes resources away from new interesting project Spyderco may have up its sleeve. And for what it's worth - if I would were in a situation where I need a working wharncliff knife (and I can well imagine people actually do find themselves in that situation), I would surely want something more substantial that can well be used with gloves, etc.

I mean for all means - if there is enough interest that Sypderco should (and eventually most likely will) bring a wharnie Chap. But holding the k390 Urban in my hand right now (similar in size and blade shape to a Chap) I don't see how having it as a wharnie would improve its general use for me. And most that it does is opening packages and even slicing boxes (if I am too lazy to search for my k390 PM2).

Just my personal view.

You are right, eventually it makes no sense if we exchanged our personal opinions, since they are equally valid and founded and just subjective... :smlling-eyes

But just so that you understand and I apology for repeating!

- For me - and ymmv of course! -. this is exactly NOT about "bringing every knife model in all possible blade configurations"

- But rather having different blade configurations (and steel choices) in each "category"

- And just for me the Chap is in its OWN category with the 2mm ffg blade, but also the extremely slim carry while being extremely sturdily built - and so I am not wishing for the Chap as a model to get that variants, but for that unique category - which happens to have the Chap as pretty much only representative of that category

- I would never propose to bring five 3.7 mm blade stock comp. lock models or five 3 mm blade stock backlock models ALL in different blade shapes - but at least ONE out of each category, so that if people want particular features of a certain category (for example more corrosion resistance) have a choice....

( - Granted, I admit: Much depends on how one defines a "category" or what is "unique" - this is totally subjective of course)

/ You are also right that often a more substantial, bigger handle would be better for a (wharnie-) work knife.
BUT, honestly: If I´d be working in a warm enough warehouse, and would also not need gloves for protection, and would have to cut occasionally, but several times a day some boxes or zip ties or whatever: I´d love to have a wharnie Chap, performancewise, but also for the nice carry...
Matus

Post by Matus »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:11 am

You are right, eventually it makes no sense if we exchanged our personal opinions, since they are equally valid and founded and just subjective... :smlling-eyes

Who could that be ...
forum_notification.JPG

of course! :winking-tongue
forum_notification_2.JPG

My friend, we are good. It is all about personal preferences and taste. One thing is for certain - if Spyderco decides to make a particular knife with a particular blade, then it will work well and have its use.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Matus wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sun Apr 03, 2022 4:11 am

My friend, we are good. It is all about personal preferences and taste. One thing is for certain - if Spyderco decides to make a particular knife with a particular blade, then it will work well and have its use.

Thanks for your understanding, my friend!

.... I know, I am too passionate about this thin blade stock thing.
I just think the "knife world" would be ready for more of it, and a good share of knife users would be amazed and benefit from what it can do, while still causing no stability problems.

And: I wish Spyderco will keep on to have a leading role here, and venture even further into thin performance blades.