Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Holland

Re: Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Post by Holland »

I honestly could be happy for the rest of my life with just the GB2, Chaparral 1 and Dragonfly salt se. But I still buy and sell knives on occasion for fun and to try different designs. Most recently the Watu
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I've said it before and I'll say it again here, the Manix LW makes it hard for me to justify buying other knives. The only other knives I really can even consider now are smaller ones like the Lil' Native or Chaparral that I can carry when I want to be a bit more discrete. I love the lock, it's so light I forget I have it, it feels so darn good in the hand and I don't have to worry about it like I do my more expensive CruCarta Shaman which is likely way "tougher", but also more $$$ so I find myself more careful with it. Most of the knives I'd still like to buy are really just other flavors of the Manix LW to spice things up a bit.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Makunochimaster

Post by Makunochimaster »

Lil' Native MB
IMG_20220509_234100_902.jpg
Native 5 cpm-s110v G10. Native 5 cpm-s110v frn.
Lil' Native MB cpm-s30v. Dragonfly 2 zdp-189.
Delica 4 cts-204p limited. Cricket Nishijin blk vg10.
Urban n690co. Persistence s35vn lightweight.
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

The last knife I’ve bought makes me stop buying knives (for a while..).
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

There is no ‘need’ for knives anymore, only curiosity. My collection of users is changing regularly. Folding and fixed. I know for me the ‘one’ does not exist and I don’t care. I enjoy the diversity of handle shapes, blades and steel. Sometimes I only buy a knife for the ‘exotic’ steel to find out how it sharpens and cuts. The downside is that I own to many knives to carry them regularly. My rotation is to big. Getting to know a certain knife is not easy when you have a lot to choose from. I try to downsize and still are trying…If only the one came along…
metaphoricalsimile

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

Ez556 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 1:28 pm
I've said it before and I'll say it again here, the Manix LW makes it hard for me to justify buying other knives. The only other knives I really can even consider now are smaller ones like the Lil' Native or Chaparral that I can carry when I want to be a bit more discrete. I love the lock, it's so light I forget I have it, it feels so darn good in the hand and I don't have to worry about it like I do my more expensive CruCarta Shaman which is likely way "tougher", but also more $$$ so I find myself more careful with it. Most of the knives I'd still like to buy are really just other flavors of the Manix LW to spice things up a bit.
Yeah, as long as you have the pocket room for it the Manix LW is a good "one and done."

It was my first spyderco and I selected it to be my one pocket knife after a lot of research, and it served me very well at the job I bought it for. I'm not doing the kind of manual labor I used to, however, so I've moved on to knives that take up less space in the pocket.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I could have stopped with my Endura. It really does everything I ask of it. I can't imagine only having one knife anymore though. It's a great hobby with lots of fun people.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Paysan I got from the online seconds sale made me slow down substantially. It wasn't really because it's such a fabulous knife (it is) it was more because I realized there'll always be something else I'm chasing. When does it end? I like the Paysan so much I started looking at Peter Rassenti's customs. Then I took a step back a looked at how many knives I've accumulated (a lot) and how much money I've spent (a lot) and I realized I've been a little out of control. Yes, there's several I can sell to recoup some of my money but I still enjoy having my wide variety of models to choose from. Funny thing is, I left 7 random knives out on my desk (Native 5 LW S35VN, Para 3 LW 4V, Para 3 LW SPY27, Advocate, PM2 DLC S30V OD green, Manbug, Jester). I was just too lazy to put them away and get something else out. So I've switched off between those for the past few weeks. I've been perfectly happy even though I know there's several others that I actually like more. It could be a handful of any of the knives and I'd be content. I'm still expanding my SNK collection as they release them but otherwise it'll have to be something really fabulous if I'm going to buy another knife. Probably a collaboration model. Time will tell I guess

EDIT: I forgot I also had Manix 2 LW BD1 on my desk with the others. I've carried that one a lot lately. Great knife!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
DutchBlades

Post by DutchBlades »

Some knives have made me slow down or stop buying new knives momentarily, but not a whole lot of them.
Notable ones were the Slysz Bowie, Sage 4, and the Smock (actually carrying a Sage 4 as I type this).
These were some knives that flipped the "I need more" switch for a while, and got carried exclusively for an extended period.
(I even bought backups as I do with several models I don't want to be without due to future unavailability upon loss/damage)

I don't expect to be done collecting any time soon (if ever), but I have become more selective in choosing which ones I do/don't need in the collection.
The resulting list of knives I want to buy turned out quite expensive and difficult to collect, but therein lies the beauty of collecting for me :)
The hunt for a specific model is one of my favorite things about hobbies in general.
A tiger has claws.
A wolf has teeth.
An eagle has talons.
We, have Spyderco.

Grails: Abalone Mini Mariner, Ti ATR, WTC, Ti Lum Tanto
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Stop no, but severely slow down and almost stall yes. The one knife I can’t kick out of my pocket is a Para 3 LW in Spy27. Out of all my other EDCs before this one it won’t take a day off.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The knife that has stopped me from buying 3" bladed knives is the Delica. It is perfect. It has a handle large enough to suit my hand and none of this blade to handle ratio nonsense.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

After a little over a month of carry, I think the Kapara has ruined my other knives for me. I can’t seem to make myself carry anything else, even though I really like my shaman and my lil native and my s110v pm2 and several of my benchmades that I used to rotate through I have only not carried the kapara one day and it felt terribly wrong. I don’t know if there’s any point to buying anything else unless a kapara variant comes out in a steel I really want
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:30 am
After a little over a month of carry, I think the Kapara has ruined my other knives for me. I can’t seem to make myself carry anything else, even though I really like my shaman and my lil native and my s110v pm2 and several of my benchmades that I used to rotate through I have only not carried the kapara one day and it felt terribly wrong. I don’t know if there’s any point to buying anything else unless a kapara variant comes out in a steel I really want
The Kapara is a great one and done model. It is also uniquely beautiful.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

JSumm wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 6:28 am
Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 5:30 am
The Kapara is a great one and done model. It is also uniquely beautiful.
I put python micarta scales on mine and it’s now my best looking folder by far. I would attach a picture if I could figure out how
0EC73EFD-E490-4B1D-A59B-74A011B5DF7E.jpeg
0EC73EFD-E490-4B1D-A59B-74A011B5DF7E.jpeg (39.74 KiB) Viewed 1241 times
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Urkilnmesmalls wrote:
Fri May 27, 2022 8:15 am
I put python micarta scales on mine and it’s now my best looking folder by far. I would attach a picture if I could figure out how 0EC73EFD-E490-4B1D-A59B-74A011B5DF7E.jpeg
They look great. I will eventually get some Micarta scales for mine.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Caly family slowed my roll.

Found it difficult to find a better pocket companion.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Delica is really all I need. Of course even in that family one isn’t enough. K390 and 20cv at a minimum. But I’d replace both with magnacut, especially if it was production and not exclusive.
Last edited by sethwm on Sun May 29, 2022 8:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

Spyderco: Micarta/M4 Shaman. I’ve always loved the platform, and this mix of components is almost too good. Every time I use it I smile.

Non-Spyderco: Spartan Harsey Folder. My grail knife. Fits my hand better than any other knife I’ve tried. It’s better than the sum of it’s (already awesome) parts.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Pretty much the large Sebenza. I thought what am I spending my money on? This doesn't do anything my other knives can't do for hundreds and hundreds less. It's a nice knife but for 500+ I'll let someone else enjoy it.
pngeezer

Post by pngeezer »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue May 10, 2022 10:59 pm
The knife that has stopped me from buying 3" bladed knives is the Delica. It is perfect. It has a handle large enough to suit my hand and none of this blade to handle ratio nonsense.
Pretty much agree with this too!
Jim
:bug-red Native 5 LW Spy27, Cat, Delica, Sage 5LW S30V :bug-red-white