Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Hardbawl

Re: Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Post by Hardbawl »

Almost! Once I got the Chief, I knew it was MY knife. But, but what if I lost it? So, I bought a spare. Then, I saw one for sale in S90v, so I bought it. It’s still NIB in the gun safe, but I have it. And so it goes. Spyderco makes knives that are a joy to own and use. So do it your way. It’s all good.
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

Spyderco is my favorite knife company, and I consider myself an enthusiast of knives, but I would not have been one nearly to the extent I am today if not for spyderco. but I’ve never set out to be a hardcore collector, despite owning plenty more than what I practically need out of deep admiration for such unique looking and functional cutting tools. But I’m at a point now where I have discovered all that I need, and all I’m missing.. which is a Caly 3.5. This would be my perfect mid-range sized pocket knife. For ultra compact pocket carry, I have a ss jester. For a small pocket knife, I have a kopa. But that do-it-all edc folding knife for me is the Caly 3.5. either the vg10 with black g10 version, or gray g10 with superblue steel would be the last knife I’d buy and be perfectly happy with.
:bug-red-white
40mm

Post by 40mm »

Well the Dragonfly has struck again. Convinced myself I need at least one folder bigger than the D'fly for outdoor activities so sprung for a Salt 2. Got a perfect copy of one but as I compared the two I knew I didn't need the bigger knife and the Dragonfly felt better in hand so returned the Salt 2 today. Also sold a Cricket, Manbug salt, and Ladybug Hawkbill salt as well. Going to stop worrying about other knives and enjoy what I have. Won't worry about buying until this one is lost or worn out.
ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
vivi

Post by vivi »

Pacific Salts make me question my knife collection.

At one point I narrowed my collection down to a handful of Pacific Salts, an Aqua Salt, Tasman Salt SE, Police 3 and my Spin.

Some days I miss that simplicity. Carry a Pacific everywhere, use an Aqua Salt when camping, pocket the Police when I want something dressier, a Tasman for a beater and Spin in case I anticipate needing a tiny knife.

There really isn't any other knife as practical for me. There are folding designs I like better, like the Chief and Police, but the Pacifics fit my lifestyle better.

Some days I feel like selling off half my collection and having no EDC rotation, and going back to carrying the same Pacific Salt every day.

Either way my next purchase is going to be another yellow Pacific to dye. Just debating between buying a Pacific 1 or 2.
:unicorn
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Has any knife made me stop buying knives? This is a giant paradox, when I bought the Caribbean two years ago I said it’s all I need. When I bought the Paramilitary 2 a year ago I said it’s all I need. I purchased a Spydie Chef a month ago and said it’s all I need. And today in my hands is a new Shaman. The gear acquisition is strong with me.

Hopefully I can stay out of a knife buying game, until Shawn Houston’s collab drops.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
RandomNick

Post by RandomNick »

The military. Since I bought my first one at the seconds sale two years ago the only knife I've purchased was a second military.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

No. They have attempted to many times over the years, but I always end up buying "just one more knife."
spydergoat

Post by spydergoat »

For a couple years it was the Para 3. Didn't need anything else and probably still don't, but got the itch to try out different models. Still haven't bought a non-Spyderco knife since I got that Para, apart from swiss army keychain knives.
AverageKCGuy

Post by AverageKCGuy »

jwbnyc wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:49 pm
My original Clipit Rescue and Delica 3 keep me from buying a new Rescue or Delica. They both still work, so..

I received a gen 1 Delica SE as a teenager back in the 90's. It was my "EDC" when I was able to carry it. I also bought a gen 1 Endura SE and a Pro-Venator back then. The Endura was just too big for my taste, still is. The kraton in the Pro-Venator is awful too get in and out of the pocket. I became a police officer in the early 2000's and wanted a left handed opener for my non-gun side and got a gen 3 Delica SE. But on my days off the gen 1 was back in my pocket.

I recently think I've retired the gen 1 Delica. I've never sharpened it. It's dull as can be but always managed to get the job done. Maybe not well, but it works. I flipped the clip back to the right side on the gen 3 and I'm carrying that now.

Every once in a while I think about getting a new knife. I'm a back lock only kind of guy. I think to myself "maybe if they have a back lock SE in x or y steel I'll pull the trigger". But I always come back to the Delica. It works and it checks all the boxes for me.

The only knife I've actually had in the cart ready to buy is...a Stainless steel Delica. The weight of the Pro-Venator is nice and the build is solid. Hoping the Delica would be the same. But again, I have a knife that I like that just works.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

No single knife could ever replace the others. I enjoy owning a variety. I will say that my purchases have slowed because it's hard to improve upon what I have collectively.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

The Nirvana made me quit my spyderco collecting.
Its my “Precious” 😎
I do stil buy a spydie every now and then but only users no more safequeens.
I am still very very proud of my collection and love to look at them and play with them. But since they ar all either long discontinued or customized or have a great worth to me like getting them as gifts they see no real use. The Nirvana makes me feel like i am on top of the world. For me it is and will be forever the most amazing artwork spyderco has ever made.
Blerv

Post by Blerv »

For me life changes stopped (or slowed) the Spydie and knife collecting in general. I still do not not as fervently as years ago.

Literally any one of my Spydies could have been my last. Most are nearly perfect and still factory sharp. Good thing logic doesn’t always need to come into play with a hobby :)
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

To the contrary, each new Spydie model seems to heighten my curiosity about some other one.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

No, but as others have stated, I rarely if ever buy anything but a Spyderco anymore.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I wish!! I can't imagine what I'd do with my time and allowance though 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

This Christmas my wife got me a DLC Native 5 (S30V).

Now my other knives with better steels and specs sit in the drawer, even the M390 Delica I swore to be a grail knife.

There is something about it that's just magnetic.
Teddy0215

Post by Teddy0215 »

My Caribbean and Spydiechef combined really give me no reason to buy any more folding knives, but like many others here, curiosity sake and all that. I still like collecting PM2s that I find interesting. I have a Native Chief in Satin M4 inbound. That will probably be my last folder for a while at least. It should fill the only niche I’m missing.

Also, like many others, pretty much only buy Spyderco folders now.

I’m actually about to sell a few fixed blades off. I’ve already sold the majority of folders, excluding Spydercos, that I don’t really use; unless they have sentimental value.
Slightly obsessed…
Dion_B

Post by Dion_B »

No.
My addiction is lifelong (so far) and shows no indication of waining. I have knives that are close to 100 yrs old that I like to carry sometimes and relish that they still perform the task intended. My interest goes on tangents and I spend 6 months stalking ebay for what I want then move on to something else after I have several examples. I love all my Spydies, Benchmades, Buck, Schrade USA, Camillus USA, ESEE, Mora, Cold Steel, Queen City, Western, Hubertus, Swiss Army, etc. Who knows what I will get interested in next? Oooh Look, a serrated K390 Police Model!
Urkilnmesmalls

Post by Urkilnmesmalls »

My Kapara has really taken over my pocket lately. I haven’t really looked at anything since. I haven’t had it very long though. We’ll see how it goes when the new wears off
sethwm

Post by sethwm »

Chaparral has gotten me really close. I’ve still bought a couple for special purposes since, but the chap is sorta perfect. That said if there’s a LW magnacut version I’ll buy 3.