Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SRT392HEMI

Re: Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Post by SRT392HEMI »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 pm
...Maybe a Sage 5 LW might be an upgrade due to thinner blade stock and a lower thumb ramp, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money to find out...
You should, you won't regret it. The Sage 5 LW will knock the Para LW out of your pocket and into the back of your sock drawer.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Not any one particular knife but all the ones I own combined have me thinking I have a problem so I haven't bought any in at least eighteen months and I haven't see any lately that I truly want and think I should have.

Over the last couple of years I've gifted about a dozen I s'pose and that's been possibly more satisfying than buying a dozen, way cheaper too. Ah, hahaha!
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am in a similar situation like what Bloke described above. Not ready to cull my collection yet, but can't see many 'empty slots' left. So, I didn't stop completely, but some made me stop buying more of their kind/type, or slowed my knife buying in general for a while.

My last purchase was the N5 fluted CF a couple of months ago. Even though it is my favorite model, I feel five is enough.

Once I was happy with my Bark River collection I stopped buying fixed blades. Same happened with CRK folders - I have enough Ti RIL folders I believe, the last one was the Inkosi Insingo.

The Minichamp was my last SAK (wake me up when there is a Cadet X)..

Most knives I still want are unobtainable (eg US-only exclusives) or simply doesn't exist yet.

edit: I think it is funny, how I ordered a K390 Stretch just hours after I wrote this. :zany
Last edited by kobold on Fri Mar 25, 2022 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

metaphoricalsimile wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 2:58 pm
For me it's my S90v Para 3 LW. Every time I see something potentially interesting pop up, I ask myself "ok but will I actually carry it over my para 3?"

It's super light, has great edge performance, is corrosion-resistant enough for my daily uses, doesn't take up too much room in the pocket, has good cutting geometry, I love the teal scale color, and due to the compression lock and wire clip it effortlessly deploys and stows.

Maybe a Sage 5 LW might be an upgrade due to thinner blade stock and a lower thumb ramp, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money to find out.

So for now I'm just not buying new knives, despite having recently started a new job that definitely pays me enough to do so. I'm sure this probably won't last forever, but I feel like my knife-buying impulse has been driven more by figuring out what works for me rather than just an urge to collect, and for now at least my Para 3 LW satisfies this impulse well.
The Dragonfly Wharncliffe is same for me. Can carry clipped or loose in pocket (which even a Delica is too big for loose in pocket to me), light and the Wharncliffe blade with no top swedge even feels more robust than a regular Dfly
Matus

Post by Matus »

... the boning knife my wife held in her hand while she was telling me, than I need to stop buying knives "right NOW"

:squinting-tongue
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Stop buying knives? Is you crazy? :zany :grin-smiling-eyes
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z1r

Post by z1r »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 2:18 am
Not any one particular knife but all the ones I own combined have me thinking I have a problem so I haven't bought any in at least eighteen months and I haven't see any lately that I truly want and think I should have.

Over the last couple of years I've gifted about a dozen I s'pose and that's been possibly more satisfying than buying a dozen, way cheaper too. Ah, hahaha!
I find myself in this very situation. My EDC combo consists pretty much of the same three knives. I have a couple of others that I swap if I know I have a specific task in mind that day. I also keep a few that I tend to carry either afield or on dressy occasions. Living not far from the SFO is a hazard. I have way more than I can actually use and keep coming back to the same three for the most part.

Case in point, I stopped in Wednesday and spied a SE Wharnie Delica and thought ok, that'll make a right handy box cutting knife. Then the guy helping me showed me the Stretch 2 XL which was nice. I was all set to walk out with just the Delica when he mentions that I'd be the first one to buy the XL. What a sucker I am. It is a really nice knife though.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:

Yeah I'm kind of at that point too. I have a whole bunch of really nice knives. I'm still buying here and there but not nearly as much as I was. My plan is to finally clear a bunch out but I need to make time to work on that project
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Matus wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:48 am
... the boning knife my wife held in her hand while she was telling me, than I need to stop buying knives "right NOW"

:cheap-sunglasses

Indeed
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

I have told my wife “This is the one! This is the knife that finishes my collection!” about 45x. Now if I walk in pointing at my phone she is like “you should get it”. LoL
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:20 pm
i could have easily stopped once i got my manix lw and pacific salt in se h1, but what would be the fun in that? i enjoy getting to decide between a few knives i really like each morning.
This is so true.

I had a Native 5 with Maxamet, it checked all the boxes. But I wanted/waited for the PM2 Maxamet to come back in stock for about the 5th restock. Now I have it, I’m looking at the Shaman to restock. :o)
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Bloke wrote:

Your words have “Bloked” themselves. Suppose the time being a cheap is fruitful!

MG2 has been trying to fill your pun shoes. The group as a collective has missed your tomfoolery.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

Matus wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:48 am

winner.
Matus

Post by Matus »

jwbnyc wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:32 am
winner.
Or a looser. Depends on the perspective 😁
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Not really , I do replace wallets more often from over use ! MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
DeadForests

Post by DeadForests »

I used to be big into knives. I bought crk, microtech, hinderer, etc. All those are gone now. I only keep the knives I carry or use daily or often. The Para 3 LW has been the model that I carry everyday. It is big enough to do anything I want. Has the compression lock so it's fun to play with. It is easy to disassemble and clean, it has great action and good centering. It also is easy to deploy, it disappears in pocket, and also it offers a full grip. It's such a good model in my opinion that I have a hard time justifying getting another knife, as I think it accomplishes my EDC tasks perfectly. I also like the size, as I find bigger knives a bit harder to control. Specifically I have the Saint Nicks Para 3 LW so it also looks cool in my opinion. In my special ops fantasies I also think it would be a good self defense tool if need be, but I don't believe knives are great SD options. I have no doubt that the para 3 could cut someone though haha.

It's really odd, but I think it's also the price. I can totally justify it in use. A $400 CRK is hard to justify in my light daily tasks, and also I don't push it as much because I am afraid of ruining it because of the price. A Para 3 LW being around 100-150 makes it semi affordable, although I still don't want to break it.

The other knife I have kept is a ladybug, as everyone knows, is the true beater.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

I can't point to a specific knife, but do know that my folding knife collection has felt complete for awhile now.

Maybe it's a combination of being content and a lack of new models that pique my interest...either way, I keep an eye out for new blades...I miss the excitement of that next must have!

Next Spydie will probably be the SE SXL...
So it goes.
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Most of the collection is more a steel collection in the models I like, but there's been so much innovation in knives these past years that there's always some worthwhile design coming up.

I remember when I was younger though, I couldn't afford much besides a Cold Steel SRK and a Spyderco Endura3.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:29 am
Bloke wrote:

Your words have “Bloked” themselves. Suppose the time being a cheap is fruitful!

MG2 has been trying to fill your pun shoes. The group as a collective has missed your tomfoolery.
There is only one legendary Bloke , I’m a poor excuse for his humor . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:28 pm
Once I bought a Spyderco knife I pretty much stopped buying any other brand of knife. So in a way, my first Spyderco influenced me to stop buying knives from any brand that’s not Spyderco.
This is me for folding knives. Very occasionally I get intrigued by an example from another maker, but absent SAK Classics I haven’t bought another brand of folder in over a decade.