Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
metaphoricalsimile

Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Post by metaphoricalsimile »

For me it's my S90v Para 3 LW. Every time I see something potentially interesting pop up, I ask myself "ok but will I actually carry it over my para 3?"

It's super light, has great edge performance, is corrosion-resistant enough for my daily uses, doesn't take up too much room in the pocket, has good cutting geometry, I love the teal scale color, and due to the compression lock and wire clip it effortlessly deploys and stows.

Maybe a Sage 5 LW might be an upgrade due to thinner blade stock and a lower thumb ramp, but I'm not sure I want to spend the money to find out.

So for now I'm just not buying new knives, despite having recently started a new job that definitely pays me enough to do so. I'm sure this probably won't last forever, but I feel like my knife-buying impulse has been driven more by figuring out what works for me rather than just an urge to collect, and for now at least my Para 3 LW satisfies this impulse well.
JRinFL

Re: Has any knife made you stop buying knives?

Post by JRinFL »

Buying a Spyderco PITS *almost* made me quit buying knives. Almost.

My real issue is buying and not selling off that which I no longer need.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
metaphoricalsimile

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:03 pm
Buying a Spyderco PITS *almost* made me quit buying knives. Almost.

Oh wow that thing looks awesome. How easy is it to one-hand close with that lock mechanism?
Last edited by metaphoricalsimile on Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
metaphoricalsimile

oops IGNORE ME
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

i could have easily stopped once i got my manix lw and pacific salt in se h1, but what would be the fun in that? i enjoy getting to decide between a few knives i really like each morning.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
jwbnyc

Post by jwbnyc »

My original Clipit Rescue and Delica 3 keep me from buying a new Rescue or Delica. They both still work, so..
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

JRinFL wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 3:03 pm
Exactly.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Not necessarily one particular knife for me, more like a sudden realization that I want certain design details and that obsession has severely limited what I buy. If I had to name a knife that best fits that criteria it would be the Caribbean. In general though I'm very guilty of playing the "does that knife do anything better than this knife" mental game when considering a purchase.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Does it count if it isn't a Spyderco? If so, the Boye folding boat knife has pretty much killed my urge to buy any other knives. It has a lot of characteristics of my favorite era of Clipits, namely the solid FRN handle, very simple construction, and it's rustproof to boot. It's also choil free, has a versatile handle with no swells or finger grooves, is very slim when closed, holds a great utility edge, and resharpens easily. Did I already mention that it's rustproof?

It was almost the Rockjumper, but I really just prefer unlined, solid FRN handles and as far as I know, the only options for those in the Spyderco lineup are the Dragonfly and the Centofante.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Coastal

Post by Coastal »

StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:32 pm
... unlined, solid FRN handles and as far as I know, the only options for those in the Spyderco lineup are the Dragonfly and the Centofante.
I thought the Salt, Pac Salt, etc., were solid FRN. They're definitely unlined.

That Boye knife is a brute. Reading about it made me wish I had anywhere near a legit use for it!
metaphoricalsimile

Ok the funny thing is that listing out what I enjoy about the Para 3 LW has convinced me to get the BHQ M4 Sage 5 with the TiCN coating. It just has all of the positive things I like about the Para 3, but a few potential upgrades. Maybe it'll be my last knife lol
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Coastal wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:54 pm
StuntZombie wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 4:32 pm
... unlined, solid FRN handles and as far as I know, the only options for those in the Spyderco lineup are the Dragonfly and the Centofante.
I thought the Salt, Pac Salt, etc., were solid FRN. They're definitely unlined.

That Boye knife is a brute. Reading about it made me wish I had anywhere near a legit use for it!
They're unlined, but still two piece handles. Actually, I just remembered the Atlantic Salt still uses the one piece handle construction. I just wish it was a different blade shape.

The Boye's handled everything I can throw at it so far, and I don't see why it won't continue to do so. If I had one complaint, it's that I wish the pocket clip was removable or reversible, but since I use it right handed, it's not a big deal.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Once I bought a Spyderco knife I pretty much stopped buying any other brand of knife. So in a way, my first Spyderco influenced me to stop buying knives from any brand that’s not Spyderco.
-Nick :bug-red
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:28 pm
Once I bought a Spyderco knife I pretty much stopped buying any other brand of knife. So in a way, my first Spyderco influenced me to stop buying knives from any brand that’s not Spyderco.
I've done the same thing. I only buy Spyderco these days. Everything else leaves me wanting.
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

The red g10/M390 Para3 got me to stop for about a year. Got that in August 2019, next one wasn't until a brown g10/M390 Manix2 in December 2020.

Picked back up since then, though. :winking-tongue

Most recent was even a duplicate of that red/m390 Para3 with the green/204p version.
Danke

Post by Danke »

That's a big negatory
araneae

Post by araneae »

I don't understand this stop buying knives concept.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
40mm

Post by 40mm »

I have this little Dragonfly Salt in serrated edge that does everything I could want a knife to do. It has shown me that I don't need to buy any more knives. But as many of you know.... boredom, overthinking, and justification set in from time to time and I will buy another knife. Totally don't need it but there it is. So to answer the question...no. But I do know that it won't be a certain knife that makes me stop buying knives, it will just be accepting the fact that I already have what I need.ImageUntitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 5:28 pm
I'm with you.
"Some call me...Tim?"
standy99

Post by standy99 »

The GB1 made me sell a CRK and stop buying them in the folder Size Range

A CRK Mnandi stoped me buying any other Gentleman folders

So it’s 1/1 :winking-tongue
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.