Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Shmohawk

Re: Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Post by Shmohawk »

RamZar wrote:
Wed Jan 25, 2023 2:56 pm
I got the additional specs (highlighted in yellow) for the MicroJimbo prototype from Michael Janich. Please be aware that the final specs for the regular production version may or may not vary slightly.

• Overall Length: 6.18“
  • Blade Length: 2.5”
  • Cutting Edge: 2.17”
  • Blade Thickness: 0.145”
  • Blade Material: CPM-S30V
  • Blade Style: Wharncliffe
  • Grind: Full Flat
  • Finish: Satin
  • Edge Type: Plain
  • Handle Length: 3.80”
  • Handle Material: G-10
  • Color: Black
  • Frame/Liner: Steel
  • Weight: 3.1 oz
  • User: Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip Tip-Up, Tip-Down
  • Opener: Thumb Hole
  • Lock Type: Compression Lock
  • Designer: Michael Janich
  • Country of Origin: USA
At first I was very excited about this knife, I still am, but now have some reservations.

Looking only at the specs, it seems to be marginally bigger, in every way, than the Lil Native which I have recently fell in love with and finds its way into my pocket regularly.
These marginal differences just seem to make it bigger, heavier and take up more room in pocket without much upside.
The handle is longer than the Lil Native but the lack of FFC makes me think I wont be able to get a good 4 finger grip on it.
The blade is not thinner.
The hole looks huge, like it will affect the usability of that part of the blade.
The cutting edge is 0.12" longer than the Lil Native which doesn't seem to me to be substantial to make a difference in regular usage, although being a Wharncliffe may help with that.

Again, this was all just from looking at the specs. I'm sure it will be an amazing knife but just don't know that it would replace my Lil Native.
Obviously once I have one in hand, I could be singing a completely different tune.
It wouldn't be the first time I picked up a Spyderco and thought "Ohhh, now I get it."

It just seems to me, based on what I've see on here, that the Lil Native is one of those knives that either you love or have absolutely no need for so I'm wondering what y'all think about the MicroJimbo vs Lil Native based on the above.
max808

Post by max808 »

The spydiehole seems considerably smaller in this one from shot show being manhandled by knifecenterdude compared to original picture posted.
YoMinbo01.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
max808

Post by max808 »

YoMinbo02.jpg
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

MicroJimbo with Satin and DLC are in Reveal 13 with street prices of $171.50 and $186.90 respectively.

• I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I might buy one or more of these MicroJimbo knives and toss them in the glovebox of the car for trips into Chicago.

YMMV, the Chicago cops and courts will prosecute you for using a knife for self defense even if you do not slash or thrust the knife, but I may as well not aggravate the situation with a Native Chief.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Naperville wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 2:31 am
I might buy one or more of these MicroJimbo knives and toss them in the glovebox of the car for trips into Chicago.

YMMV, the Chicago cops and courts will prosecute you for using a knife for self defense even if you do not slash or thrust the knife, but I may as well not aggravate the situation with a Native Chief.
Taking a knife to a gunfight, eh??

Kidding, Chicago has such tough gun laws it’s refreshing to know the criminals there don’t have any
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:55 am
Naperville wrote:

Kidding, Chicago has such tough gun laws it’s refreshing to know the criminals there don’t have any
I carry knives everywhere that I go, and I have a Spyderco on me all of the time.

I've brought up several times on this forum what happened to me when around 2010, I drew a small legal length folder in Chicago to my HIP. 4 to 5 guys were kicking my shins, stomping on my feet, and trying to punch and grab me. I did not have money for a decent defense lawyer so I had my cousin who is a lawyer guide me through the court proceedings. I did not move the knife one inch and it remained on my hip. I did not slash the knife, thrust the knife, all I did was say, "KNIFE!" to get them to back off and leave me alone.

That earned me 2hrs in jail and an ag assault misdemeanor.

NOTE! They immediately stopped battering me and let me go. A small edged weapon is all that it takes for self defense and due to that, I'll never be without one. Was it worth getting a misdemeanor over? Well, had they continued on, I may have been hospitalized, I really do not know what would have happened to me. I cannot do anything about the leftists running Chicago so after living there and dealing with gangs for 25+ years (of my now 63 years) I moved out for good in 2016. I don't ever want to live in Chicago again. Self defense is a crime.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

twinboysdad wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 5:55 am
Naperville wrote:

I will say, Illinois has a FOID and CCW law and I think I've only seen charges pressed against one or two folks for shooting perps DEAD. If you are in a state with a CCW or open carry law, the law looks at you differently when there is nobody to testify against you.
sal

Post by sal »

There are certainly some issues in the US that need to be addressed.

sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

sal wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:56 pm
There are certainly some issues in the US that need to be addressed.

sal
[+1]
max808

Post by max808 »

RamZar wrote:
Fri May 26, 2023 1:58 am
MicroJimbo with Satin and DLC are in Reveal 13 with street prices of $171.50 and $186.90 respectively.

Thanks for the heads up RamZar!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Sadly, if even a little Microjimbo were actually used in self-defense, the criminal's lawyers would most likely look up the knife, see that it's primarily designed as a SD tool, and make it harder on the defender in court. I'm not even going to go into how the law comes down much harder on law-abiding citizens legitimately defending themselves than it does on the predatory criminals who attack innocent people. All I will say is, *A lot needs to be adressed and changed.*

Jim
vivi

Post by vivi »

Some states are better about that than others.....
:unicorn
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Chicago is filed under “never ever go there”. Most large cities are. When I have a reason to drive to Iowa from Florida, I drive around Illinois.
Tvrdy91

Post by Tvrdy91 »

Really like the MicroJimbo. I work in social services so I’m in federal and state buildings fairly often. Really want to feel it in hand, if it feels more comfortable than my dragonfly Wharncliffe then there is a solid use case.
Stok drop point, dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe.

Suburban dad, lbk enjoyer, wire clip enthusiast

No pasaran!
gilber69

Post by gilber69 »

The Yojimbo is my EDC. I Just started a new job working with clients with special needs. I will be in and out of homes, Social Services, courts, medical facilities, etc. If I have to go in a State/Federal Building I lock my knife in the car. I live in a small rural area. When I have forgotten, Security has always returned my knife. Usually a Ladybug on my keys. I want the Microjimbo as a small, stout knife I can drop in my pocket to keep prying eyes away yet is still reliable for it's primary purpose.
max808

Post by max808 »

These should start popping up in a few weeks around here...
microjimbo001.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

Guess we'll have to wait another month for these to become available in Europe.
etamicrojimbo001.jpg
LuckyM

Post by LuckyM »

I'd like to know if the handle length is going to leave your pinky squeezing handle or nothing. I'm hoping handle but it's hard to tell. Glocks have been mentioned and the 26,27,29, and 30 (mini Glocks) leave your pinky floating. Any insight into how this little guy feels in hand would be great. Oh yeah, I'm not talking about with the choked up, to me that's asking for a slit finger.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

LuckyM wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2023 4:24 pm
I'd like to know if the handle length is going to leave your pinky squeezing handle or nothing. I'm hoping handle but it's hard to tell. Glocks have been mentioned and the 26,27,29, and 30 (mini Glocks) leave your pinky floating. Any insight into how this little guy feels in hand would be great. Oh yeah, I'm not talking about with the choked up, to me that's asking for a slit finger.
Whether or not you can get a full 4-finger grip on the MicroJimbo will depend on your hand size. Based on the dimensions in the screenshot, it appears there will be a little over 3.65" of handle length. I wear medium-sized Mechanix gloves (although I do have skinny fingers) and I can get a full 4-finger grip on knife handles as short as 3.25" (that said, it does feel a little cramped when it gets that short).

To put that handle length into context, the grippable length of the Dragonfly 2 (choil + handle) is almost exactly 3.65". For further context, the grippable length of the Delica 4 (basically the handle length behind the finger guard) is about 3.8". So I guess if you can get a full 4-finger grip on the Dragonfly 2 or the Delica 4, you can probably do the same with the MicroJimbo.