Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
northern munkey

Re: Mini Yojimbo Prototype ?

Post by northern munkey »

Sorry if this has already been answered, just asking for handle length, as here in NZ for carry on luggage and in city's the rule is a handle of no more than 95mm (3.7"). It would be an ideal edc for me here if it fits within this rule. I carry a lil' native for this purpose.
Stuart Ackerman

Post by Stuart Ackerman »

Northern Munkey...
If you look at the proto image, and measure the blade length of 2.5 inches against the scales, it might be just a tad under the NZ legal requirement?
Last edited by Stuart Ackerman on Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dodge

Post by Dodge »

Gonna have to add this to the short list and start saving.
Flash Batch request: Flat Iron Salt (CE w/ yellow FRN)
New knife request: Police 4 Salt!!!

“Don’t be so open minded that your brain falls out”
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 pm
There’s still no MiniJimbo with a blade length of 2.99” for jurisdictions where there are such limitations.

There is the original Yojimbo 1 that has a blade length of about 2.9" -- it just isn't mini, it has a very large handle! I've always wanted to convert it into a smaller handled knife...the YoJimBob.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Cheddarnut

Post by Cheddarnut »

Im going to rob a bank with a spoon to balance things out a bit.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 4:55 pm
RamZar wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 4:48 pm
There’s still no MiniJimbo with a blade length of 2.99” for jurisdictions where there are such limitations.

There is the original Yojimbo 1 that has a blade length of about 2.9" -- it just isn't mini, it has a very large handle! I've always wanted to convert it into a smaller handled knife...the YoJimBob.

Yes. Spyderco changed the blade length from 2.875" (73mm) on the original Yojimbo to 3.20" (81mm) on Yojimbo2.

It would be nice if we had models for various common legal blade lengths: 2.49” (63mm), 2.99” (76mm), 3.49” (88mm) and 3.99” (101mm).

The reason for say a blade length of 2.99” is because some jurisdictions say the blade length must be under 3 inches and some say the blade length cannot be more than 3 inches.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

We will have that with the introduction of the Microjimbo. A 2.49” blade easily fits under a 3” limit.
-Nick :bug-red
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:06 pm
We will have that with the introduction of the Microjimbo. A 2.49” blade easily fits under a 3” limit.

Yes but if the limit in my area is under 3 inches I want a blade length as close to 2.99” as possible. That’s why I go for Chaparral or Native5.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:59 pm
It would be nice if we had models for various common legal blade lengths: 2.49” (63mm), 2.99” (76mm), 3.49” (88mm) and 3.99” (101mm).

The reason for say a blade length of 2.99” is because some jurisdictions say the blade length must be under 3 inches and some say the blade length cannot be more than 3 inches.
Sounds like a good idea to me! This is off topic but, how does one officially measure the length of a blade, especially if you're going to two digits after the decimal? I'm looking at a Yo1 as we speak, and because the front of the handle is curved, there are various measurements that can be taken.

I'd want the blade shy enough of the legal maximum that a power-crazy prosecutor out to "make his bones" didn't "round up" to an illegal length.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Bolster wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:18 pm
RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 6:59 pm

Sounds like a good idea to me! This is off topic but, how does one officially measure the length of a blade, especially if you're going to two digits after the decimal? I'm looking at a Yo1 as we speak, and because the front of the handle is curved, there are various measurements that can be taken.

I'd want the blade shy enough of the legal maximum that a power-crazy prosecutor out to "make his bones" didn't "round up" to an illegal length.

The standard for blade length measurement is:

Where a statute, regulation or ordinance refers to knife blade length, the measurement shall be the straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle.

Bolster

Post by Bolster »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 8:31 pm
The standard for blade length measurement is:

Where a statute, regulation or ordinance refers to knife blade length, the measurement shall be the straight line extending from the tip of the blade to the forward-most aspect of the hilt or handle.

Excellent. Did not know. Thanks! By that measurement the Yo 1 is just 2-3/4".
northern munkey

Post by northern munkey »

Stuart Ackerman wrote:
Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:55 pm
Northern Munkey...
If you look at the proro image, and measure the blade length of 2.5 inches against the scales, it might be just a tad under the NZ legal requirement?
Kia ora Stuart, fingers crossed as it would be a great travel companion (I really like this knife)
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Michael Janich on his upcoming MicroJimbo at 11:56 time mark.

https://youtu.be/djfaFkiBXfc
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

RamZar wrote:
Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:13 pm
Yes but if the limit in my area is under 3 inches I want a blade length as close to 2.99” as possible. That’s why I go for Chaparral or Native5.

It's not the same knife, but the Lil' Temperance 3 LW is fantastic. You get the blade length you need with a nearly maximized cutting edge. I was pleasantly surprised by that model. Of course, there are well-documented reasons why many will likely pass on the model.
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Hope to get some specs filled in (highlighted):

• Overall Length: ?
  • Blade Length: 2.5”
  • Cutting Edge: ?
  • Blade Thickness: ?
  • Blade Material: CPM-S30V
  • Blade Style: Wharncliffe
  • Grind: Full Flat
  • Finish: Satin
  • Edge Type: Plain
  • Handle Length: ?
  • Handle Material: G-10
  • Color: Black
  • Frame/Liner: Steel
  • Weight: ?
  • User: Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip Tip-Up, Tip-Down
  • Opener: Thumb Hole
  • Lock Type: Compression Lock
  • Designer: Michael Janich
  • Country of Origin: USA
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I have been wondering about the weight also. I assume it's close to the Lil Native (2.5 oz), but...
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

I got the additional specs (highlighted in yellow) for the MicroJimbo prototype from Michael Janich. Please be aware that the final specs for the regular production version may or may not vary slightly.

• Overall Length: 6.18“
  • Blade Length: 2.5”
  • Cutting Edge: 2.17”
  • Blade Thickness: 0.145”
  • Blade Material: CPM-S30V
  • Blade Style: Wharncliffe
  • Grind: Full Flat
  • Finish: Satin
  • Edge Type: Plain
  • Handle Length: 3.80”
  • Handle Material: G-10
  • Color: Black
  • Frame/Liner: Steel
  • Weight: 3.1 oz
  • User: Right Hand, Left Hand
  • Pocket Clip Tip-Up, Tip-Down
  • Opener: Thumb Hole
  • Lock Type: Compression Lock
  • Designer: Michael Janich
  • Country of Origin: USA
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Thanks. I imagine the production version specs will be close. It's a bit heavier than I guessed, but I really like the design.
V1.5

Post by V1.5 »

Yep pretty much an instant buy when it's released. I like the evolution of the design. I love my Yojimbo 1 & 2.
max808

Post by max808 »

At the risk of violating forum protokol, just look at the blade centering on this puppy...

YoMinbo012.jpg
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard