Shaman nub removal

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Nice marmot

Shaman nub removal

Post by Nice marmot »

Has anyone removed the nub at the bottom of the finger choil that bumps into your finger when you close the knife? Yes I have gotten used to it an it really does not bother me at all. I just can’t tell how much it interacts with the compression lock when closed. Just bored on a Saturday afternoon and looking to do some tinkering but wanted some feedback first.
vivi

Re: Shaman nub removal

Post by vivi »

they have the same nub on the yojumbo. i just learned to move my finger out of the way before the blade fully closes.
:unicorn
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

If it doesn't bother you I wouldn't mess with it. That is unless its an annoyance to others you deem worthy of borrowing your knife. I considered removing it off of mine because of this, but in the end, decided not to cus the knife belongs to me and not members of my family and friends I lend it to. It could reduce the value of your knife so your better off not doing it.
"Some call me...Tim?"
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marmot,

I designed the knife with the nub because I felt it made the knife a better design from a safety point of view. The blade is wide so the guard is close to the handle spine when closed. It is not a design error. If it's not a bother to you, I would suggest you leave it there.

sal
Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

Thanks Sal. I appreciate the insight. It will stay.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:39 pm
they have the same nub on the yojumbo. i just learned to move my finger out of the way before the blade fully closes.

I do the same with my Shaman and the Hanan. The Hanan doesn't have the nub, but the flipper tab rotates up between the scales instead. I've found that with the different models it's a matter of learning where to put your finger on the lock lever when unlocking the blade. Then, using Vivi's advice, I have to learn the speed at which the blade closes to master it. I usually tweak the pivot screw to get the blade rotation speed where I it works. ('cause I'm old and slow) :winking-tongue
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

I ground mine off and now it is a joy to open and especially close. I haven’t encountered any safety issues. Try it and you’ll wonder why it was there to begin with. IMHO, it makes an already great knife outstanding. 😃
5AA9ED3C-3FD5-454A-ADB0-75635A1EC787.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I didn't like it at first but it was very easy to get used to just moving my finger and letting the mass of the blade bring it into closed position. Compared to a flipper like the Sliverax, this is a very minor issue IMO.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Manifestgtr

Post by Manifestgtr »

I’ve never really understood this desire to remove the “nub”. It doesn’t take long to slightly alter your technique. To be honest, I forget that it’s even an issue until I stumble across one of these threads and I carry my Shamans more than any other knife. Your hands will adapt and your timing will change when you use it. The Lil Native has a similar choil and it’s the same thing.

To my eyes, “nubless” Shamans look really odd…it kind of messes with the profile of the knife and I can only imagine it would alter the choil’s “brickwall” ergonomic.
Crucarta: Shaman (x2), Manix 2, Lil Native, Delica, GB2 & PM2
Notable: 52100 and Cruwear Millie. “15v-arta” Shaman. REC Manix. K-carta Endura, P4, Dragonfly and Delica.
Favorites: Shaman, Sage 5 lightweight, Sheeps Caribbean, Manix, Endela and all things Stretch
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I also agree. I see no issue with it, took about 20 open/closes to get the technique down to move your finger a little faster. I also like that when in use, that nub really aids in keeping your finger from slipping. Gives a bit more confidence that you can go a little harder if you need to.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like the nub.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Giygas

Post by Giygas »

vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 2:39 pm
One of my favorite small details I've noticed with the Yojumbo is that the weight of the blade (combined with the shape and size of the "nub") is usually enough to push my finger off of the lockbar so I don't have to make a concerted effort to move my finger.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

holeshot wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:11 am
I ground mine off and now it is a joy to open and especially close. I haven’t encountered any safety issues. Try it and you’ll wonder why it was there to begin with. IMHO, it makes an already great knife outstanding. 😃
5AA9ED3C-3FD5-454A-ADB0-75635A1EC787.jpeg
It looks naked... Not there's anything wrong with that... To each his own...
"Some call me...Tim?"
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The nub is a non-issue for me
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Ezzimist76

Post by Ezzimist76 »

In all honesty, it's about developing a new style to redeploy your knife and I enjoy it. Just learn to get your finger out of the way before the choil makes contact with it. That's way better than making the knife go through a sex change operation 😂
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Pro-nub.

I appreciate the additional margin of safety when in use.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've found on other compression lock knives I sometimes have just as much of an issue with the blade bouncing off the stop pin as I do with this nub issue, and I've developed a habit of just letting go of the lock tab at a certain point to compensate, and it works just the same with the nub as it does without it. I don't really care for how these knives end up looking without it either, it's not like with a Sliverax where you can blend it into the rest of the handle and make it look factory done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I've had the Shaman for about a month. Carried a lot. I guess I have always closed a CL with an early release so the lock can suck up the blade. I don't see an issue. The only model that may be a bit more tricky is the Watu because of the light blade. With that one you have to hold on a bit longer, but the Shaman with it's heavy blade just wants to close. Just let go and let faith take over boys. The blade shall close.

Also, due to the large finger choil, this is one of the few knives that is a finger choil primary grip for me. Most others I grip behind the choil. Due to that, I find the nub in combination with the thick blade and scales to be the most comfortable model using the choil. It is a joy. 2nd would probably be the Caly 3.5 for me.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

The nub allows the knife to stand on a flat surface while open without the edge touching the surface which is kind of neat.
Just one more knife...
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Many negative blade angle knives are incapable of this.