What's next for the UKPK, Sal ?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
elena86

What's next for the UKPK, Sal ?

Post by elena86 »

Better steels ? More handle colors and materials ? It seems to me that these UK friendly slipits are quite popular allaround and for all the good reasons. They are very practical, safe enough in opened position, they look good, legal almost everywhere and the ergos are stellar. I know it's been disscused here and there and Sal threw us a few bones but it would be nice to know more. I was a huge Urban fan but shortening that blade was not the most brilliant idea so now I am more focused on the UKPK. I only wish they ground them thinner behind the edge. I never understood why all the Golden made blades must be so thick bte. These are gentleman urban dedicated slipits after all, they should slice(not split) an apple like a laser bean not chop sticks. One of the reasons I love my K390 and N690 Urbans is that they are more or less 0.017'' bte but I have to give the superior ergos to the UKPK. Long story short ... Sal, I would kill a UKPK in SPY27 and cobalt blue bone handle, ground very thin bte. Please, don't wake me up ;)
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: What's next for the UKPK, Sal ?

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is what’s next for the UKPK:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=86950

Don’t distract Sal please… ;)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
elena86

Post by elena86 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:43 pm

Thy will be done !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

I think that it took a long time for the Slipits in general and the UK in particular to gain in popularity. Certainly longer than I had hoped for. Now it seems to have found a place among the general knife user, so variations are more possible. The LC versions are nice. HH seems to have a good eye on their market. They've got another one in-the-works.

I'd like to get the Damasteel UK in motion. Golden is still backed up, but capacity has been increasing every month. I wouldn't be opposed to a SPY27 version. It's my steel and I'm partial to it. It's been a long time since we've made a Wharncliffe.

I'll watch the thread and see if there is demand? And what might be asked for? Just a bit of distraction :winking-tongue

sal
elena86

Post by elena86 »

sal wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 1:12 pm
Hi Marius,

I think that it took a long time for the Slipits in general and the UK in particular to gain in popularity. Certainly longer than I had hoped for. Now it seems to have found a place among the general knife user, so variations are more possible. HH seems to have a good eye on their market. They've got another one in-the-works.

I'd like to get the Damasteel UK in motion. Golden is still backed up, but capacity has been increasing every month. I wouldn't be opposed to a SPY27 version. It's my steel and I'm partial to it. It's been a long time since we've made a Wharncliffe.

I'll watch the thread and see if there is demand? And what might be asked for? Just a bit of distraction :winking-tongue

sal

Thank you Sal. What about grinding them thinner bte ?
Marius

( Rabindranath Tagore )

sal

Post by sal »

Hi Marius,

We have to sneak up on that. we have a large general market and we have to be cautious about being too thin BTE.

sal
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Think I have 3 different UKPK's _ BD1N, S110V, and S30V ... so you could say I'm on the UKPK fan-wagon!!!!

I'd like to see the dealers and distributers pick it up as an exclusive - and that would just about do it for colors and steels.

I've not taken to the salt series yellow, but I do like the vibrant green. Would pick up a UKPK salt if it was offered this way.

I have a Salt 2 wharncliffe and consider it a favorite; anticipate a UKPK wharn would be the same.

I like that the knife is still within my budget for collecting and/or use. But I believe it deserves special treatment for the guys willing to spend at that level.

I mentioned a carbon fiber S90V version not too long ago and I would still be interested in one of those as well as a burnt orange rex45 model, and I would like to see more G10 offerings as the HH version I have is very pleasant.

my .02,

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
RadioactiveSpyder

My wish list is really more about having more G10 colors - I’d be happy with a number of different steel choices and seeing a wharnie variant too. For handle colors, I’d love to see forest green, navy blue, burnt orange and dark gray.

I would hope that other vendors would get interested in running some exclusives of the UKPK, especially a KW version in forest green and 204P. The navy blue, burnt orange and dark gray G10 ones could be sprints in SPY27, Rex45 and K390 respectively. Of course a peel-ply CF sprint in S90V would be incredibly awesome. There seems to have been plenty of FRN colors done in the past, it’s time for some G10! I’m also curious to hear what HH is planning (unless it’s just a rerun of their red G10). Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
sal

Post by sal »

I guess we'll watch comments.

sal
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

+1 for SPY 27 🙂
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Spy27 would be fun, as would REX 45. A G10 version (other than the HH exclusives) would be fun--I really like G10 handles. A CF/S90V sprint is always welcome.

But honestly, I'm extremely happy with the Salt and S110V versions of this knife. In warm weather, and especially when I'm doing athletic activities like cycling, the light and unobtrusive Salt version is just perfect for me.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

Sal, you already know what I think about a wharncliffe UKPK. :winking-tongue

viewtopic.php?t=87909

Other than that the steel doesn’t really mater to me, but I tend to stay away from non stainless.

Burgundy G10 would be at the top of my list color wise. I would also love a CF/S90V with the same texture as the Chief, some grip but still smooth for a gentleman carry. I know others, ^ Radioactive, don’t like that texture so I would truly be happy with any CF. Maybe Cross-cut!!!
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Sheepsfoot in Spy27, please! A wharnie would do, though….
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I'm in for a wharnie in any steel or color
-Turbo
gdwtvb

Post by gdwtvb »

I remember a thread asking for a return of the titanium scaled UKPK, I hope that one is still in the plans.

Grizz
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Maxamet, please!

I'd be up for a wharnie, too. Or K390. Or a Magnacut salt variant.

The truth is I'm likely to buy any future variant that Spyderco dreams up. :)
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:43 pm

Righteous.
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
Superfool

Post by Superfool »

So, I have a load of ideas here. The UKPK is a great product, and I don't believe there is a better legal slipjoint available.

Once Sal has locked into the DAMAUKPK project, then I was thinking about starting a big thread with a olan to pool suggestions, and finally some polls. However, I had a thought we could suggest doing it slightly differently this time.

I was thinking of a way of doing a series, all with different scales, metals and shapes. Some sort of theme or connection to them, maybe released on a special day?

So, for example...

Red G10, wharncliffe shape, in Maxamet .
White G10, leaf shape, in m390
Blue G10, drop point in SPY27.

The theme being the UK / US partnership to create the knife. Buy the one you want, or get the set.

Or a Sal's UKPK; Dealer's choice on G10, metal and shape. Might be cute as a 45th anniversary of spyderco.

Spy27 in Blurple G10?

British racing green, Maxamet Warnie?

Personally, i would like a Rescue with yellow and green G10 to celebrate the UK ambulance service I have served in for a decade.

Just stuff that goes round in my head when I should be sleeping!
David
Always outnumbered; never outgunned.

Proud member of Sal's Troublemaker Class since July 2020
RadioactiveSpyder

Pushing the vendors to make their signature combos is an option that I don’t think should be dismissed (meaning us hounding them, not Spyderco obviously). Red G10 is already the HH color. Blue G10 could either be a BBS M390 or an EdgeMatters forum K390. White G10 is already the Damasteel one. Forest green 204P is KW, etc. For sprints, it’s dark gray G10 Maxamet or K390 (if EM forum isn’t interested), burnt orange G10 Rex45 and a CF S90V. Easy enough. (And please lord, no more blurple anything!) Cheers, Radioactive
Nate

Post by Nate »

Let’s see, there’s a model called the UKPK.

There’s an frn scale color called British Racing Green.

It’s not rocket science folks… :thinking
:spyder: