Just cuts

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Just cuts

Post by vivi »

Post photos or videos of your knives in action. Post details about what sort of edge your knife has too.

https://streamja.com/rOEne

LC200N Pacific Salt 2 with a thinned out edge and 300 grit apex, at about 80% sharpness as it's been used since I put the edge on. Cutting some plastic straps on steak boxes, something I do every day at work.
:unicorn
JSumm

Re: Just cuts

Post by JSumm »

I have to ask Vivi. Since you put that edge on the LC200N Pac Salt, how do you feel about it compared to the H1 Pac Salt?
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
vivi

Post by vivi »

JSumm wrote:
Fri Mar 18, 2022 7:23 pm
I have to ask Vivi. Since you put that edge on the LC200N Pac Salt, how do you feel about it compared to the H1 Pac Salt?
I've come to appreciate LC200N more over the past month, having carried this and the Siren, each with a very coarse edge. Edge holding improved a lot. While the polished edges I ran on LC actually disappointed me, these edges have worked great.

Have not had time to do a formal comparison but LC seems to be beating H1 in edge holding when both have a 200-300 grit edge, as expected.

Anyways heres the same Pacific Salt slicing plastic wrap.

https://streamja.com/5KMAz

This is one of the only things I cut where I need a high degree of sharpness. Polished edges that have been dulled to a terrible job slicing it, which is one reason I felt I had to constantly touch them up. The coarser edges do a lot better with plastic in general.

While most things I can cut just as well with SE or PE, I don't like SE for this task. Requires a higher degree of sharpness to not snag, and there's a much higher chance of little bits of plastic wrap falling on to the food.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

I have noticed cutting thin plastic seems to be improved with a coarser edge. Specifically toilet paper and paper towel packaging.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

One of the things I like about the Native 5 is tip control. With the flat spine, you can easily get your thumb extended. Makes for a great work knife on projects or widdling.

- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

I had trouble with edge stability with this Native 5 at acute angles.

I tried different edges and angles and settled on a medium toothy, slightly convex 25 degree edge on this knife.

Now its a cutting machine and has been my primary EDC for going on 3 years now.
Attachments
native5.jpg
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

I found the LC200N steel in my Native 5 Salt to be very good.
I used an 18 DPS bevel with a 22 DPS micro bevel, sharpened down to 2200 grit diamond stone.

Unfortunately the FRN plastic only made it 3 months.

Here I'm cleaning up the welded corners on a vinyl door frame so there will be no pressure on the replacement glass unit.
More of a push cut with not so much room for a sawing motion

Image Image
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

The last thing I cut was Muenster cheese.
4.5" Kitchen Utility MBS-26 with original factory edge.
Knife is still pretty new and hasn't needed a touch up, yet.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

Chuck James wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 6:54 pm
What happened??? Did the handle actually break?
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

Ranger_Ike wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 8:12 pm
Chuck James wrote:
There was so much flex in the FRN, the blade started cutting into the handle when I closed it...all most like it was taking a permanent bend. Also started to chip. Never had a problem with the screws coming loose, I put loctite on them straight out of the box.

Now....Was I using it way beyond what a knife is intended for.....I sure was...just like I do all the rest of my knives.

I've not had that problem with any of my other Spyderco knives though.
billdoier72

Post by billdoier72 »

Chuck James wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:43 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Chuck James wrote:
There was so much flex in the FRN, the blade started cutting into the handle when I closed it...all most like it was taking a permanent bend. Also started to chip. Never had a problem with the screws coming loose, I put loctite on them straight out of the box.

Now....Was I using it way beyond what a knife is intended for.....I sure was...just like I do all the rest of my knives.

I use my Native 5 LW for hard use and the scales never flex like that.

I'm sure the blade would snap before that much flex happened.

Do you think maybe you got a clone?
Delica 4 VG10 - Dragonfly 2 K390 Warnnie - Chaparral CTS-XHP - Native 5 M4/Rex/45/4v - Para 3 CTS-BD1/Maaxamet/4V/20CV - Lil Native - Cruwear - Sage 5 S30V - Jester 4V
vivi

Post by vivi »

I guess this is my favorite knife now. The pivot has smoothed out a bit, but still a little more play than the H1 version. Edge holding has improved a ton with a coarse edge vs polished. Used it for a mid hike snack.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

What kinda sausage is that?
Chuck James

Post by Chuck James »

billdoier72 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:01 am
Chuck James wrote:
Sat Mar 19, 2022 9:43 pm
Ranger_Ike wrote:
Chuck James wrote:

I use my Native 5 LW for hard use and the scales never flex like that.

I'm sure the blade would snap before that much flex happened.

Do you think maybe you got a clone?
Not much chance of a clone. I bought 2 from Smokey Mountain Knife Works and 2 from KnivesShipFree.
vivi

Post by vivi »

skeeg11 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 5:12 pm
What kinda sausage is that?
locally made bourbon salami. good stuff!
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Curious. For hair splitting just screaming sharp. H1 in PE vs LC200N in PE? About half the time I use a knife ai am making a single cut. Which steel gets sharper with less effort. Trying to keep it simple, SM only.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

dan31 wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:32 pm
Curious. For hair splitting just screaming sharp. H1 in PE vs LC200N in PE? About half the time I use a knife ai am making a single cut. Which steel gets sharper with less effort. Trying to keep it simple, SM only.
There's better people to answer and I'm sure they will, but H1 will sharpen easier. However, LC200N is also very easy to sharpen. IMO if you only have a Sharpmaker, either are fine. Besides when I reprofiled the edge with diamond stones after dropping it on concrete, I've only ever used the SM to maintain my Spydiechef. Big fan of LC200N. Also consider that H1 models are saber ground while LC200N are full flat. So there's the geometry difference when cutting. I suppose if just a single cut, it may not matter too much to you (usually doesn't to me depending on the material).
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi, two times off topic, sorry..

1.) Your Pacific does have one green and one black scale, am I seeing this right? Would be cool if so..
2.) Does the streaming platform you use here work better than "streamable", which you used before? And why?

Thanks!
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:31 am
Vivi, two times off topic, sorry..

1.) Your Pacific does have one green and one black scale, am I seeing this right? Would be cool if so..
2.) Does the streaming platform you use here work better than "streamable", which you used before? And why?

Thanks!
Yep, I dyed one scale all black like my SE LC Pacific, but then got the idea to try a fade on the show scale. Wish I wish a fade on both but it's still more interesting than another solid black.

I was actually thinking about doing a three color Pacific Salt 2 handle then swapping an LC200N blade into it. I want to do a rasta salt with green, yellow and red scales. But then the Stretch XL release, so I'm holding off on that project for now, mon.

Streamable has been asking me to sign up for an account on my new phone so I use other services now. I don't want to have to make an account somehwere to upload images and short videos. On my old phone I can still use streamable without an account.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 7:28 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Mar 22, 2022 2:31 am
I was actually thinking about doing a three color Pacific Salt 2 handle then swapping an LC200N blade into it. I want to do a rasta salt with green, yellow and red scales. ....

That would be really cool!!

And a great idea for a Spydie I could gift to my youngest brother (we are four "boys" (men, these days ;) ), me being the oldest) - he is not into folders, but actually has a life style that would really call for an EDC knife. He is much into Reggae and that stuff, so a rasta Pac Salt would be perfect for him.
Perhaps I may steel your idea?! :smirk
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)