I Went Crazy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Wartstein

Re: I Went Crazy

Post by Wartstein »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Thu Mar 10, 2022 6:15 pm
.... - I’m new to folders, but it was second nature for me to figure out thumb and middle finger flicking with almost all of these knives - maybe that’s a good omen that I’ve made a good choice with Spyderco…or maybe it’s irrelevant…but either way, I’m enjoying having a collection of new tools to get to know…

There are quite differing opinions on flicking knives open around here - all valid in their own way.

I personally think:
- First and foremost everyone should enjoy the folders in the ways they want. Regardless of some of those ways make sense practically speaking or not.
- I rarely flick my folders just for fun - but I flick them (almost exclusively backlocks) open (as said, with each of the five fingers) often just in normal use. I think this is a quick and reliable way, just as good or bad as opening by thumb rolling.
I also think when flicking a knife open it is LESS likely to drop it, then when for example doing the typical "pinch grip / swing to close" comp.lock or CBBL closing method (which is not UNsafe too, don´t get me wrong). Think about it: With the latter (pinch grip closing) one actually performs a bit of a "throwing the knife" motion. While when one flicks a knife, it gets a bit more motion back INTO the palm.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 1:13 am
Boss Hogg wrote:
.... - I’m new to folders, but it was second nature for me to figure out thumb and middle finger flicking with almost all of these knives - maybe that’s a good omen that I’ve made a good choice with Spyderco…or maybe it’s irrelevant…but either way, I’m enjoying having a collection of new tools to get to know…

There are quite differing opinions on flicking knives open around here - all valid in their own way.

I personally think:
- First and foremost everyone should enjoy the folders in the ways they want. Regardless of some of those ways make sense practically speaking or not.
- I rarely flick my folders just for fun - but I flick them (almost exclusively backlocks) open (as said, with each of the five fingers) often just in normal use. I think this is a quick and reliable way, just as good or bad as opening by thumb rolling.
I also think when flicking a knife open it is LESS likely to drop it, then when for example doing the typical "pinch grip / swing to close" comp.lock or CBBL closing method (which is not UNsafe too, don´t get me wrong). Think about it: With the latter (pinch grip closing) one actually performs a bit of a "throwing the knife" motion. While when one flicks a knife, it gets a bit more motion back INTO the palm.
More useful insight - thanks…

I admit that I did throw one on the heavier comp locks across the porch when I was working on some swing open/close methods. Luckily no damage was done, but it obviously made me be more careful, and to stop treating a tool like a toy.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 4:43 am
Wartstein wrote:
Boss Hogg wrote:

I personally think:

I admit that I did throw one on the heavier comp locks across the porch when I was working on some swing open/close methods. Luckily no damage was done, but it obviously made me be more careful, and to stop treating a tool like a toy.

Yes, I think the typical or at least very often used closing method for CBBLs and comp.locks is perfectly fine in "regular" conditions, but not so much in harsh, cold, wet outdoorsy ones for example.

Since you say you´re new to the game and seemingly interested in use and operation of folders:
I made some short clips once about some ways I operate my backlock and CBBL folders (none for comp.locks though), you might be interested in trying one or more of those methods (I´ve shared this vids several times already, but all who are not interested at all or any more: Just ignore! I think for some they still might be helpfull )

CBBL (two times regular speed, one time slow)

1.) https://streamable.com/ar7okf

2.) https://streamable.com/f9gm4s

3.) https://streamable.com/tep9bx

4.) https://streamable.com/79jhhr

5.) https://streamable.com/yvpuf7

6.) https://streamable.com/msetaz

Backlock (shown one time slow, than regular speed)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:03 am
Boss Hogg wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Boss Hogg wrote:

I personally think:

Yes, I think the typical or at least very often used closing method for CBBLs and comp.locks is perfectly fine in "regular" conditions, but not so much in harsh, cold, wet outdoorsy ones for example.

Since you say you´re new to the game and seemingly interested in use and operation of folders:
I made some short clips once about some ways I operate my backlock and CBBL folders (none for comp.locks though), you might be interested in trying one or more of those methods (I´ve shared this vids several times already, but all who are not interested at all or any more: Just ignore! I think for some they still might be helpfull )

CBBL (two times regular speed, one time slow)

1.) https://streamable.com/ar7okf

2.) https://streamable.com/f9gm4s

3.) https://streamable.com/tep9bx

4.) https://streamable.com/79jhhr

5.) https://streamable.com/yvpuf7

6.) https://streamable.com/msetaz

Backlock (shown one time slow, than regular speed)

https://streamable.com/j7fjd

https://streamable.com/bhhzs

https://streamable.com/myzlt
Thank you very much for those, especially the CBBL folder videos. I only have the Manix 2 for CBBL, and I was clueless about many of those methods until you posted them.
DrHE

Post by DrHE »

You didn’t go crazy I promise. You are just reaching the recommended dose of high quality knife steel needed for a healthy lifestyle lol.
M.N.O.S.D. 0031
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

tonijedi wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 3:40 am
Where's the Delica?
Is the Delica 4 different enough from a Para 3 LW that I should experience one as well? I know that the blade stock is thicker on the Para 3, but that’s why I’m also getting a Chaparral. It was actually a pretty tough decision between a Delica and PM3 LW (this was my first knife purchased), but I went for the comp lock at the time. I suppose I should just try to get one in hand to see for myself.
Last edited by Boss Hogg on Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:54 am
Bolster wrote:
Tue Mar 08, 2022 8:27 pm
Wow! Nice "start"!! Can't wait to see your collection in a year...!
I too would like to see your collection in a year. I would also like to know how your sharpening game is going, and your thoughts in that time on collecting v. using.
Hopefully I will have slowed down by then. At this rate, I’d have over 100 knives in a year, but I think I pretty much have everything that I need now, apart from a few pieces to experiment with, as well as if I want to get other versions of what turn out to be my favorites.

I just got a Sharpmaker last night, so I’m hoping that I’ll be pretty adept at sharpening in a year.

As far as collecting vs using, I’m going to try to use everything in the collection (except for the Matriarch II) in rotation, until I figure out what works best for me. But, I’m a collector at heart, and knives are not the first vice that’s had me in its vise.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:40 am
tonijedi wrote:
Where's the Delica?
Is the Delica 4 different enough from a Para 3 LW that I should experience one as well? I know that the blade stock is thicker on the Para 3, but that’s why I’m also getting a Chaparral. It was actually a pretty tough decision between a Delica and PM3 LW (this was my first knife purchased), but I went for the comp lock at the time. I suppose I should just try to get one in hand to see for myself.
I don't won a Para 3, but I own a Para 2.
The Delica is a knife that is difficult to replace, in my opinion. You may prefer other knives, but the Delica is the Delica :winking-tongue
MNOSD member 0011
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Boss Hogg wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Where's the Delica?

I´d say the Delica is quite different to the Para 3 LW (owned and still own several Delicas, and had a Para 3 LW SE, but just for about a month).

I´d also say the Chaparral in its overall properties is closer to the Delica than the Delica is to the Para 3 LW.
So in a way you are right: With the Chap you get a lot of "delica-ish" features, some even better than on the Delica itself (the even thinner stock of the Chap for example). Both - just in my opinion - are, compared to the Para 3 more performance oriented, a lot slicier (thinner stock!) and just better as pure, no nonsense cutting tools.

Some differences between Delica and Chap:
- of course size: Longer edge on the Delica, and a thicker, more handfilling handle that offers more space
- choil/no choil: The Delica has no choil - but I find its ricasso perfectly fine to choke up on just like on a choil.
- Backlock: The Chap backlock is the best I personally ever tried. No play at all, rock soild. BUT: Some find it a bit harder and less comfortable to operate (partly to the very thin lockbar). The Delica lock is not bad by any means too, but you should expect a tiny bit of lock rock.

Now should you get both? Well, let me put it this way: I am actually NOT into folders that small... but I still own a Delica, a Salt 2 (basically a linerless Delica with an a bit blunter tip and a bit more cutting edge) and a Chap as well... :smirk
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:27 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:03 am
Boss Hogg wrote:
Wartstein wrote:
Thank you very much for those, especially the CBBL folder videos. I only have the Manix 2 for CBBL, and I was clueless about many of those methods until you posted them.

Glad if it helped a bit! :smiling-cheeks
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Bolster wrote:
I too would like to see your collection in a year. I would also like to know how your sharpening game is going, and your thoughts in that time on collecting v. using.
Hopefully I will have slowed down by then. At this rate, I’d have over 100 knives in a year, but I think I pretty much have everything that I need now, apart from a few pieces to experiment with, as well as if I want to get other versions of what turn out to be my favorites.

I just got a Sharpmaker last night, so I’m hoping that I’ll be pretty adept at sharpening in a year.

As far as collecting vs using, I’m going to try to use everything in the collection (except for the Matriarch II) in rotation, until I figure out what works best for me. But, I’m a collector at heart, and knives are not the first vice that’s had me in its vise.
Ah, you picked a good company to collect. Have one or two users! Spyderco has helped me be more recycling conscious (big boxes fear my address.)

The diamond rods make quick work of repairing an edge. (Just a reminder, light pressure, let the diamonds work for you.) I’d recommend looking at them for your next sharpening purchase.

And a few here on this forum like the lower grit edge on their knifes. Low grit edges have a good bite to them, and dig in. Vivi’s posts are a good place to start with learning about that.

I’ve been going with just the diamond rod edge for about a year and quit stropping. It’s quick and there are good results.

Practice on your crappies kitchen knives first!
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 2:54 pm
Boss Hogg wrote:
tonijedi wrote:
Where's the Delica?

I´d say the Delica is quite different to the Para 3 LW (owned and still own several Delicas, and had a Para 3 LW SE, but just for about a month).

I´d also say the Chaparral in its overall properties is closer to the Delica than the Delica is to the Para 3 LW.
So in a way you are right: With the Chap you get a lot of "delica-ish" features, some even better than on the Delica itself (the even thinner stock of the Chap for example). Both - just in my opinion - are, compared to the Para 3 more performance oriented, a lot slicier (thinner stock!) and just better as pure, no nonsense cutting tools.

Some differences between Delica and Chap:
- of course size: Longer edge on the Delica, and a thicker, more handfilling handle that offers more space
- choil/no choil: The Delica has no choil - but I find its ricasso perfectly fine to choke up on just like on a choil.
- Backlock: The Chap backlock is the best I personally ever tried. No play at all, rock soild. BUT: Some find it a bit harder and less comfortable to operate (partly to the very thin lockbar). The Delica lock is not bad by any means too, but you should expect a tiny bit of lock rock.

Now should you get both? Well, let me put it this way: I am actually NOT into folders that small... but I still own a Delica, a Salt 2 (basically a linerless Delica with an a bit blunter tip and a bit more cutting edge) and a Chap as well... :smirk
I had the salt 2 in my shopping cart for a while, but replaced it with the chap. It seems like I should just get both of them at this point. I used the Chief today for whatever I could manage (not much came up), and I really like it for a bigger blade.

So I’m feeling like the Chief, Shaman, and Manix II are all going to be in the regular rotation, and I’m always going to have the lady hawk on my keychain.

I just need to figure out what to carry as a 2nd knife. I’m still leaning toward the chap, but I feel like a PM3lw, salt, delica, or dragonfly will all work.

I’m used to carrying a lot of gear in my EDC, and I’m replacing a Leatherman wave with all the access in a belt holster (which will still be in my daypack) as my knife carry, so carrying two lighter knives on pocket clips is not a big deal for me at all. I probably should have said that in this thread somewhere before now.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Oh, also, I got my Street Bowie today…I had actually forgotten about it (yeah - I’ve got a compulsive buying disorder), but I must say that it feels pretty incredible in hand, and with the really nice sheath, it seems like a solid buy at $100. I will probably add it to the camping gear, even though that’s not its main intention.

Also, the wife actually felt comfortable handling it, which is not the norm. I didn’t show her the sheath, and said it was like a beefed up steak knife.

And yes, I was already called an amateur for mentioning fixed blades on the forum, but I am very happy about this knife, even if it’s a bit tacticool.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Kevinim82 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:59 pm
Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:48 am
Kevinim82 wrote:
Bolster wrote:

Ah, you picked a good company to collect. Have one or two users! Spyderco has helped me be more recycling conscious (big boxes fear my address.)

The diamond rods make quick work of repairing an edge. (Just a reminder, light pressure, let the diamonds work for you.) I’d recommend looking at them for your next sharpening purchase.

And a few here on this forum like the lower grit edge on their knifes. Low grit edges have a good bite to them, and dig in. Vivi’s posts are a good place to start with learning about that.

I’ve been going with just the diamond rod edge for about a year and quit stropping. It’s quick and there are good results.

Practice on your crappies kitchen knives first!
Thanks for the advice.

I was worried that I’d be doing more damage than good to the knives with the diamond rods as a noob, but maybe after I’m used to using the other rods, I’ll feel comfortable with them. I thought they were more for reprofiling (which I should NOT be attempting at this point) than for day to day use, but I definitely understand what you’re saying about having a low grit working edge. I’m sure the diamond rods will be arriving at my house soon.
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Got the small Spyderpac tonight and loaded it with what I have so far. I think I just need to find the perfect small EDC backup (I might already have that in the PM3LW), and get a strop and the diamond rods now.

Any other suggestions?
561DAF9E-70AB-4941-BAC5-34B19223DB1A.jpeg
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

I almost forgot about this…(again - I have compulsive buying problems), but I picked this knife up sometime last year because I thought it was so pretty. I’ve never used it.

Does William Henry have a good reputation for making functional knives, or are they more so known as collectible artwork?

BFA9E291-663F-4148-96F6-AAD66AAAF4A8.jpeg
945B1077-A0B8-44B0-8B54-AF70FA4ABCD3.jpeg
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 5:25 pm
And yes, I was already called an amateur for mentioning fixed blades on the forum, but I am very happy about this knife, even if it’s a bit tacticool.
Spyderco has excellent fixed blades. They use hard to obtain steels for most of them too.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Boss Hogg

Post by Boss Hogg »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:56 pm
Boss Hogg wrote:
Spyderco has excellent fixed blades. They use hard to obtain steels for most of them too.
Glad to hear that they’re not totally shunned here. I’ve had my eye on the Respect and Darn Dao, but I would never use them because I consider them as works of art, even if they’re functional.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 9:10 pm
Naperville wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:56 pm
Boss Hogg wrote:
Glad to hear that they’re not totally shunned here. I’ve had my eye on the Respect and Darn Dao, but I would never use them because I consider them as works of art, even if they’re functional.
When I started collecting I had no idea how important my knives would become to me. I collect based on my martial arts experiences and what I perceive to be excellent self defense tools. I take them out and am in awe of what the designers, metallurgists and manufacturers/bladesmiths have created. I get more enjoyment out of my knives than I do anything else that I own except for maybe a computer.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Kevinim82

Post by Kevinim82 »

Boss Hogg wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 7:39 pm
I almost forgot about this…(again - I have compulsive buying problems), but I picked this knife up sometime last year because I thought it was so pretty. I’ve never used it.

Does William Henry have a good reputation for making functional knives, or are they more so known as collectible artwork?

BFA9E291-663F-4148-96F6-AAD66AAAF4A8.jpeg

945B1077-A0B8-44B0-8B54-AF70FA4ABCD3.jpeg
This looks like the type of knife that would be on an Orvis catalog for a wife that didn’t know what to get her husband.

If this knife is just going to sit in a box, it might be worth something in a hundred years?

Looks like a nice modern meets traditional folding knife… it could make for a good talking point if it was purchased as a memento for an occasion. Also looks like it could be a nice gentleman’s knife for use with a Sunday suit.
Was never a space cadet, but with LC200N I might be more in space than a cadet.

MNOSD 0009